399 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:21 PM

Iirc they always have a veg option and the few times ive tried it it was pretty good

We do. It's not exactly an exciting time of the year to work with produce but we do what we can.

Cauliflower "steak" sandwich with a rutabaga sauce?

And then the next day you can have rutabaga "steak" with a cauliflower sauce.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:56 AM

Congrats and best of luck!!!!!

#18 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

A little late to the discussion but, not their place.. The whole fam damily arrived late December and were blown away by the sandwiches.. The space itself, at the St Mark's theater has that old world charm.. Kind of like a Mc Sorley's or Corner Bistro semi abandoned dive bar version.. It's actually a beautiful space, homey and with the bartender to prove it..  She poured me a $3 dollar skunked high life or miller.  After being informed of my skunked beer situation, she shrugged and charged me for it anyway but, at least asked if she could sell me another beer.. I obliged and added a shot of tequila.   But, again, it's a homey bar with a round table in the center window... Off to the side is their tiny pristine kitchen where they are making some fantastic sandwiches.  Second  beer, not skunked! 

The day we arrived their menu was as follows:

32053417947_cba05a350b_z.jpg

We took a seat at the cozy table in the window

The day we went, Ori was in the satellite command center.. I was able to communicate via telephone and intercom while, Sivan was doing all the work  :P   I must say again, the sandwiches were truly fantastic..

Smoked Rib Sandwich:

40030023643_ac3c5c061f_z.jpg

Smoked Beef rib with coleslaw, pickles and a spicy homemade sauce.. Miss A flipped over the hot sauce.. I believe it was fermented by them from peppers they grew in their garden?  Either way, the rib itself was as good a smoked rib as I have had.. 

Next sandwich was the pulled pork sandwich.. 

46994994861_8ac0b934b6_z.jpg

The red pepper romesco stood out as excellent. But, yeh, it's Ori and Sivan so everything is thought out and it's done extremely well. From the pork to the pickles, it's all great.  

Not to mention, all the bread is bought that day, crispy, hot, light and crunchy. 

46080951675_f14993599d_z.jpg

I have seen the menu changing on line and I look forward to trying everything they serve. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#19 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:41 PM

honest to god a sandwich spot from a couple of east village hipsters using vegetables grown in some smog fed east village superfund site, why are we talking about this? i bet that there will be lines and they will start running out of sandwiches and they don't even have table clothes or bidets.

(congrats ori and sivan!)

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#20 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:11 PM

Do you have limited time burgers? :-)

Congrats. If you stick around through summer 2020 I could even get to stop by.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#21 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,109 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

honest to god a sandwich spot from a couple of east village hipsters using vegetables grown in some smog fed east village superfund site, why are we talking about this? i bet that there will be lines and they will start running out of sandwiches and they don't even have table clothes or bidets.

I'm pretty sure our grow tent is the only one on the block that's not producing any THC. 

And we're very anxious to turn the skunked miller situation around so that we can serve intentionally bretty beer and wine. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#22 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

when will the two of you be growing old-timey beards?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

I'm pretty sure our grow tent is the only one on the block that's not producing any THC. 

And we're very anxious to turn the skunked miller situation around so that we can serve intentionally bretty beer and wine. 

I should say, it added to the charm.. And it was only three bucks.. I think my next shot and a beer was like 5 or 6 bucks.. All forgiven. 

#24 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:28 PM

The day we arrived their menu was as follows:

32053417947_cba05a350b_z.jpg

Smoked Rib Sandwich:

40030023643_ac3c5c061f_z.jpg

Smoked Beef rib with coleslaw, pickles and a spicy homemade sauce.. Miss A flipped over the hot sauce.. I believe it was fermented by them from peppers they grew in their garden?  Either way, the rib itself was as good a smoked rib as I have had.. 

Next sandwich was the pulled pork sandwich.. 

46994994861_8ac0b934b6_z.jpg

The red pepper romesco stood out as excellent. But, yeh, it's Ori and Sivan so everything is thought out and it's done extremely well. From the pork to the pickles, it's all great.  

Those sandwiches look awesome. Best of luck to you Ori! A little birdy told me that Ori is using products from Sam's Butcher shop. The 1st 3 sandwiches from the menu above used Sam's country ribs, fennel porchetta for the pulled pork, and Sam's smoked salmon.

Thank you Ori for giving Sam your business! He is the nicest person, and makes some great smoked products. You have to find a way to incorporate his awesome andouille sausage into a sandwich (maybe sausage and your homegrown peppers) :)

http://samsbutchershop.com/

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#25 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,109 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:58 PM

Sam does smoke for us, but the meat products aren't quite the same as what you're getting from him (not that those aren't excellent in their own right). :)

Right now we're working with him on developing smoked brisket that will be competitive with places I like, but using better beef. 

But first, the Elk Osso Bucco should be around this week, the boudin noir once I figure out the logistics of service, and we're also testing a sort of dashi poached quenelle from pacific crab. 

eta: and yes, Sam is a great guy and I probably would never be able to say I've been to the Poconos if not for visiting him.  

#26 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:34 PM

Paryzer, giving away the family secrets!  

#27 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:35 PM

Did the name come from an endearment?

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#28 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,109 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

Maybe that is a story we should tell when preparing the brand for franchising in Singapore. 

To sandwichify this casserole, most of the cooking liquid and vegetables are turned into an intense spread, carrying the very clear message of osso bucco alla milanese. The meat is mixed with the marrow, leaving just the holes. 

#29 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:31 AM

Of course, I miss the hot dogs.

#30 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,109 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:47 AM

I'll ask Sivan to buy some just in case you stop by.