69 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,391 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:24 PM

If all the talk of decline at Aska is true, then I think Sushi Noz may be the best restaurant in New York right now.  If sushi in Japan is much better than this, I shudder to even imagine how great it must be.

Of course, the clientele is odious.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,424 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:31 AM

Wot does “noz” mean is it a name?

ETA: Google says yes, ignore me.

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,424 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:35 AM

I’m sure it’s great, but it looks like Kuruma prices and up (Masa, pfui).

Almost impossible to afford unless you’re odious.

#4 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:35 AM

If all the talk of decline at Aska is true, then I think Sushi Noz may be the best restaurant in New York right now.  If sushi in Japan is much better than this, I shudder to even imagine how great it must be.

Of course, the clientele is odious.

Whoa! You’re calling our son-in-law, the sushi maven (and crossword puzzle genius) “odious”?! He loved Noz. (He and our daughter honeymooned in Japan.)

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,391 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:15 AM

Trust me, he wasn’t there last night.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:03 AM

Trust me, he wasn’t there last night.

So, are you saying that the usual Noz clientele is o.k.? If so, what made this particular group different/odious?

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,391 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:45 AM

No, I'm saying that I'd wager a lot that your son-in-law is as atypical a guest there as I and my dining companion were.

These people were very evidently ignorant of food and beverage, limited in what they'd accept, and mainly concerned with making sure that everything was expensive enough (which was most of what they talked about).   To be clear, they were all a good deal younger than me.  (Which isn't hard.)

I've heard scuttlebutt suggesting that's the usual crowd here, but it's secondhand and not for repetition.  (Unlike at the unsurprisingly closed White Gold Butchers and Insieme, the staff here has the grace not to disparage their customers in the open dining room.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:22 PM

That sounds unfortunate and sort of out of character with what I've seen at other $$$ sushi spots.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,391 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

Other $$$ sushi spots aren't located where this one is.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,391 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:58 PM

But GO.  The food is phenomenal.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:01 PM

No, I'm saying that I'd wager a lot that your son-in-law is as atypical a guest there as I and my dining companion were.

These people were very evidently ignorant of food and beverage, limited in what they'd accept, and mainly concerned to make sure that everything was expensive enough (which was most of what they talked about).   To be clear, they were all a good deal younger than me.  (Which isn't hard.)

I've heard scuttlebutt suggesting that's the usual crowd here, but it's secondhand and not for repetition.  (Unlike at the unsurprisingly closed White Gold Butchers and Insieme, the staff here has the grace not to disparage their customers in the open dining room.)

Based on your description, you would definitely win your bet.

#12 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

These people were very evidently ignorant of food and beverage, limited in what they'd accept, and mainly concerned to make sure that everything was expensive enough (which was most of what they talked about).   To be clear, they were all a good deal younger than me.  (Which isn't hard.)

Sounds like many (otherwise) excellent places in San Francisco.     LOTS  of money, not much experience.

A parallel to the housing/real estate situation.   https://www.nytimes....ech-wealth.html

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#13 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

Good point. Although for me having too many of the "sushi maven" types around can be (not quite as) annoying. Your description sounds like the scene in Billions.

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,391 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:18 PM

Although for me having too many of the "sushi maven" types around can be (not quite as) annoying.

I couldn't agree more!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,391 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:24 AM

Speaking of Nozomu Abe, looks like Sushiden is closed.

Bar Loser

MF Old