70 replies to this topic

#61 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

Fine. And how about your thoughts re Noz the resto ?

eta - I would also request more precision in how you quote in the future ... assuming you would like to join our elite organization ... which has plans to take over the world ... and in my experience, it's best to get in early 

#62 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:00 PM

It does sound like Sutton’s brosperiences were pretty mild on the douchebag spectrum. Some of them not even on it, more just chatty neighbors. At least they were talking about the food. It could have been much worse. The next table over from us last time at Aska was a triple douche sundae supreme, chattering away about expensive watches, Burning Man, and attempting to one up each other with Instagram accounts of women they claimed to have slept with. (Granted, the meal was so underwhelming maybe they were just bored. Still, though.)

what are the odds that sutton would object to that in a review of aska as well? it's funny how high-end japanese food brings out finger-wagging censoriousness in critics who would probably rail about stuffiness in other high-end culinary contexts. 

Pretty much zero odds, but that's also because (like the lackluster meal itself) the annoying neighbors were a bit of an anomaly. Also, they weren't engaging us directly, just doing their bro-thing in such a way it was impossible not to overhear them. 

The near-mystical powers and hushed reverence critics and connoisseurs grant to sushi chefs though, I do find a bit ridiculous. You'd think they were getting a private, solo saxophone performance by the ghost of Charlie Parker.

It might have something to do with the fact that it's generally one person preparing each bite so there's more of a sense of "artist at work" when sitting at the counter. Someone else makes the rice, sure, but they're more like the painter's assistant who stretches and gessoes the canvas. Maybe it's in part because one "feels" a direct connection with the craftsperson, even if said craftsperson may forget your face the moment you sign the check.

#63 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

(Don't tell me Matt Dillon isn't a good actor.)

Admittedly, he doesn't always pick the best movies to be in. Sometimes you just gotta pay the bills.

But anyone who'd say that clearly hasn't seen Drugstore Cowboy or To Die For.

#64 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,284 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:57 PM

The Japanese experience is, by design, a collective one. If those people are there then they are there and not at another, clearly separate table, doing the things that those people do so you can roll your eyes. This is not just because of physical proximity although of course that doesn't help.

While chefs can be performing an incredibly precise silent dance (Sugita) or being absolute clowns (Nakaji @ Hatsunezushi) or imposing (Hashiguchi with his multiple prohibitive signs - no phone, no camera, no loud talking, no congregating in the lobby, just eat quietly and go, basically) and while they vary in if and how they control the composition of the crowd at the counter, these are all things that happen in this environment and generally do not happen in western dining places.

Therefore being dismissive of the idea that obnoxious shouting rich idiots are more disruptive in this environment is not entirely justified.

I've also never found it to be the case that in good shop they forget your face as soon as you pay your check, although a white couple is probably easier to remember as an anomaly, and as an anecdote for the other side - when Sushi Arai opened, even though I didn't know Arai's name, I saw a single photo of his lower arm and hand and immediately recognized it as the former second in command @ Shingo. So I would say there is definitely more focus on the personal interaction and performance. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#65 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,860 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:21 PM

to be clear, i am in no way saying that obnoxious shouting idiots are fine--at high-end sushi bars or anywhere else. i was responding particularly to the bit of nonsense about how sutton's zen meditation over a piece of o-toro (oh, such a subtle piece of fish!) was destroyed by someone leaning over and asking "isn't that great?". that's just pretentious posturing.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#66 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,860 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:23 PM

and yes to the incredibe memory of sushi chefs. in january this year at shin sushi in los angeles (well, encino), chef take remembered us from a single visit to mori 3 or 4 years ago even though he had not been serving us at that meal.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#67 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

The Japanese experience is, by design, a collective one. If those people are there then they are there and not at another, clearly separate table, doing the things that those people do so you can roll your eyes. This is not just because of physical proximity although of course that doesn't help.

While chefs can be performing an incredibly precise silent dance (Sugita) or being absolute clowns (Nakaji @ Hatsunezushi) or imposing (Hashiguchi with his multiple prohibitive signs - no phone, no camera, no loud talking, no congregating in the lobby, just eat quietly and go, basically) and while they vary in if and how they control the composition of the crowd at the counter, these are all things that happen in this environment and generally do not happen in western dining places.

Therefore being dismissive of the idea that obnoxious shouting rich idiots are more disruptive in this environment is not entirely justified.

I've also never found it to be the case that in good shop they forget your face as soon as you pay your check, although a white couple is probably easier to remember as an anomaly, and as an anecdote for the other side - when Sushi Arai opened, even though I didn't know Arai's name, I saw a single photo of his lower arm and hand and immediately recognized it as the former second in command @ Shingo. So I would say there is definitely more focus on the personal interaction and performance. 

Well, to be fair, obnoxious shouting rich (or poor) idiots are disruptive anywhere.

Admittedly exaggerating about them forgetting your face. Just noting out that sometimes the "deep" connection a patron may sense can be one-sided. That personal interaction may be there in the moment, but knowing it's all as ephemeral as cherry blossoms would be a very Japanese way to view it, I think? Mono no aware and all that.

#68 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,860 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

and yes to the incredibe memory of sushi chefs. in january this year at shin sushi in los angeles (well, encino), chef take remembered us from a single visit to mori 3 or 4 years ago even though he had not been serving us at that meal.

(though there are probably not very many indian-korean couples walking in every night.)

~homer simpson

#69 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,284 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

Admittedly exaggerating about them forgetting your face. Just noting out that sometimes the "deep" connection a patron may sense can be one-sided. That personal interaction may be there in the moment, but knowing it's all as ephemeral as cherry blossoms would be a very Japanese way to view it, I think? Mono no aware and all that.

Yes indeed. There's this bartender @ Four Horsemen who for the first five times or so always acted as if she remembered us before I figured out she's just very very good at pretending to remember people and is actually always too sauced to remember anything at all.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#70 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

(Don't tell me Matt Dillon isn't a good actor.)

Admittedly, he doesn't always pick the best movies to be in. Sometimes you just gotta pay the bills.

But anyone who'd say that clearly hasn't seen Drugstore Cowboy or To Die For.

My mother, she should rest in peace, must've seen Drugstore Cowboy many times, because she hid the drugs when her kids were coming home.

And if there's an artist I want a deep personal connection with, who for sure should remember me, I want it to be my orthopedic surgeon. Not necessarily my chef.

#71 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

Perfectly pleasant crowd last night. Perhaps weekend being all date night lessens the bromakase atmosphere. The visual experience is stunning all around, from the walls to the plates. The best of the dishes were extraordinary (baby eel, tuna with horseradish sauce) though taken as a whole the food was not appreciably better than my usual omakase spot. A few dishes were challenging to me, mostly for textural reasons (basically, the gloppy ones).