18 replies to this topic

#16 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,958 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:10 PM

Given the amount of time you spend in Montreal, cross Banane off as there is a lot in Montreal in a similar style (though Banane is very good). Isabel and Quetzal are very different, but my preference runs to the Isabel cooking and wine list (Quetzal is new world only). The room at Quetzal is pretty special. 

So Isabel, unless you have a preference for Mexican cooking over Spanish, in which case Quetzal. In either case, do stop by Raval (a short walk to either and same owners) for a drink and tapas before the meal (or after, if you can get in). Same architect/designer as Quetzal as well. 

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#17 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,901 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:30 AM

dinner at canis tonight was spectacular. the meal of the trip and the best "fine dining" restaurant meal i've had in a while. adrian, i'd highly recommend trying their current menu. i'll have a detailed review in the next couple of weeks.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#18 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,958 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

Yes. Good news. I will likely be back in August - I really like what they are doing and have had some great dishes there, but the full meal has never come together for me. Recent reports sound like they are starting to hit it.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#19 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,901 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:34 PM

If you have to stay downtown, Crown Princess is pretty close in quality to the equivalent Markham places. 

thanks for this recommendation--we had a very good banquet dinner the evening of our arrival in toronto. i'm not sure it was all entirely to the taste of everyone in the group--i think a couple thought too many dishes were mild/bland--but i thought it was very good indeed indeed. if there are even better places in markham then i have to travel there for sure whenever it is i next manage a trip to toronto.

full write-up on the blog.

crown-princess-braised-snow-pea-leaves-w

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson