#31 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:45 AM

Speaking of a classy crew...

Join host Nick Solares and the Red Meat Lover’s Club — America’s premiere club dedicated to meat, spirits, and philanthropy — for a special dinner by James Beard award winning chef April Bloomfield and chef Ryan Jordan.

The menu will feature Merguez “rippers” in the style of NJ institution Rutt’s Hut, beef and stilton turnovers, and quail scotch eggs. Followed by suckling pigs, whole shoulders of lamb, and a dry aged steam ship round — a massive 65lb roast — that is currently hanging in Master Purveyors legendary meat locker.

To finish the Breslin's signature Banoffee Pie. Wine, beer, and Hudson Baby Bourbon will flow freely. Most importantly, there will be both live and silent auctions with all proceeds donated directly to the Madison Square Boys and Girls club.

Cigars will be provided by La Flor Dominicana for take home and included.

United in Causes,

The Secretary of Steak and Nick Solares

Whilst I don't think I'd argue that Joe Jr serves one of the best burgers in town, I also don't think it 'sucked'. I do think much of its appeal is to do with getting away from ultra-bourgeois New York.

The Rutt's Hut 'rippers' are also not awful [and the Hut itself ultra-non-bourgeois], but the Breslin probably oughtn't to indulge in this sort of  ̶s̶l̶u̶m̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ 'appropriation'.

#32 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,011 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:56 AM

That’s a fair and more charitable way of accounting for Joe Junior. But it is about factors independent of whether it’s a great burger.

And yes, when I advocate for Mont Blanc 52, for example, it’s not about the cuisine. But I don’t list it in top 10 (or whatever) lists.

The Breslin should know better, but I guess it’s a big payday.

#33 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:48 AM

there’s some evidence that the breslin couldn’t know better.

#34 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,207 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:54 AM

Shout to Carl Ruiz who probably inspired the ripper inspired dish.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#35 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:30 PM

PJ Clarke still belongs, IMO.  (No, I don't think it's interesting to argue about burgers.)

Strange as it may seen, we’d never been to P.J. Clarke’s until last year.  We went first to the Lincoln Center location after a concert but didn’t have the burger.  Then, a few weeks later, we had lunch at the flagship where we did have the burger.  We thought it was a very good one.