155 replies to this topic

#1 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:01 PM

Since we have a long relationship with Crown Shy's Chef/Partner James Kent, of course, we were excited to find out what his food would be like. Well, it's not EMP style nor NoMad style.  It is his own style.  No surprise, it's beautifully plated and, in a word -- o.k., two words -- seriously delicious!  The amazing pull-apart bread with labne is worth going just for that.  (The pastry chef is Renata Ameni, ex-EMP.) 

There are two large dining rooms, one of which includes the open kitchen, and a capacious bar room.  (Note to Sneakeater: The full menu is served there.)  The vibe was lively but, happily for me, not super noisy. The crowd was young.  There was no diner older than maybe mid-40's -- except us and we're way, way past that!   

Comps:  The carrots, the sticky toffee pudding, Michael's two glasses of wine.  Plus, we were gifted a whole bread with labne to take home.

Photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAp4ion  

#2 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

Enjoyed our visit last night. All of the carbs really stood out. Wine list didn't seem egregiously priced and many bottles of champagne at under $100.  Creative cocktail program too.  Already booked another visit for early June.  Pete Wells was spotted as we were getting ready to leave. Apparently this is visit #2, that they're aware of.

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:41 PM

that New Yorker review looked amazing. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#4 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:59 PM

Anyone read the review yet? I suspect I've exhaused my ration of free articles this month. :D

#5 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

Yes, it's a two star review that reads like a three star review. Useful: desserts "over-deliver," main courses are more exciting than their descriptions. Not useful: room is pretty, Pete Wells didn't hear much about the restaurant before it opened.

#6 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

I suppose that makes sense. I haven't been yet, but it doesn't -feel- like a three-star by the implicit New York Times criteria.

#7 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

Yes, it's a two star review that reads like a three star review. Useful: desserts "over-deliver," main courses are more exciting than their descriptions. Not useful: room is pretty, Pete Wells didn't hear much about the restaurant before it opened.

The wine list (especially the champagnes) are generously priced. At leas for now. I thought their cocktail program was strong too.

#8 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:31 PM

Agree that it reads 3 stars. So, he deducted a star because he didn’t like the restaurant’s name?

We were there again late Saturday evening for the third time. James told us the review was coming this week. In three visits, only one thing disappointed me: the chocolate tart. Otherwise, everything we’ve had has been incredibly delicious.

#9 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

Second visit was terrific as well. Great vibe there. Love this place and the prices.

#10 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:04 AM

Crown Shy is very nice. The white beans with nduja (granted there is some version of this on every menu everywhere in the country), carrots with razor clams, tagliatelle with sungolds was excellent, something else was more forgettable but fine. Cocktails were good if slightly sweet. Will happily go back.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#11 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:05 AM

Crown Shy is very nice. The white beans with nduja (granted there is some version of this on every menu everywhere in the country), carrots with razor clams, tagliatelle with sungolds was excellent, something else was more forgettable but fine. Cocktails were good if slightly sweet. Will happily go back.

"will happily go back" is perfect. They do nice work. Actually really good work for this current time.

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,378 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:23 AM

This place really is very good.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:41 AM

Your first time? Did you eat at the bar? What did you have?

#14 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:39 PM

Four of us last Sunday - eight dishes (about half the menu) only problem each was better than the next, so I can't say what I enjoyed the most.

Outstanding and a keeper. Prices are unusually low.

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,378 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

Your first time? Did you eat at the bar? What did you have?

Second time.  Table both times.

Over the course of my visits, I've had the hummus (fabulous), the gruyere fritters (slightly disappointing), the caramelle (great), the spaghetti, the octopus, the chicken (love this), and other stuff I can't really remember.  Desserts are very good, too.

The wine list is exemplary in the intelligence of the selections and the fairness of the pricing.

Bar Loser

MF Old