158 replies to this topic

#16 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,396 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:15 PM

are they really open as late as the site says? 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,566 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:44 PM

The really late hours are the bar hours (the cocktails are excellent, BTW).  The kitchen closes at the end of dining room service: 10 PM Sunday - Wednesday and 11 PM Thursday - Saturday.  (The website does make it seem like you can eat food at the bar after the dining room closes -- but you can't.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:57 PM

Amazing (and in fact helpful) that reasonable people can disagree about a dish. Thought the gruyere fritters were top tier. Perfectly crispy and not greasy on the outside and creamy and gooey inside.

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,566 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:03 PM

I can't disagree with any of that.  I guess my problem was that I was stupidly expecting gougères.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:17 PM

Yes, then it would be a disappointment.

#21 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

A very nice meal last night, especially once we had the hostess check to see if it would be OK to not seat us at the table right next to the glassware station, and then after we got our waiter to calm down. He was "explaining the menu" before we'd even had a chance to look at it, or order drinks, so the bum's rush was coming. I've gotten to the point where I basically say, very nicely, that we don't order any food, or "discuss the menu" (his term) until we have been served our first drink, and/or a bottle of wine is on the table. (Except at Wu's, where we're bringing our own wine.)  Significant Eater even commented that after a week in California, this was kind of different; but as I said, I've learned a few tricks and they work well.

That little loaf of bread is great, and I need to start making labneh again.  As someone mentioned above, the gruyere fritters are nice if not too exciting, and the cauliflower is delicious, showered as it is with Parmigiano.  

Since we'd gotten our waiter to calm down and be on our side, he coursed the dishes very well.  Next up, after those starters, were both pastas, and they hit the spot. I especially liked the caramelle with chanterelles and corn, whereas Sig Eater's favorite was the spaghetti with sungolds and lemon basil.*

Our shared main was that wonderful chicken (really good) along with the salad of tomatoes, peach and feta. At this point, we were actually too full for dessert, and we'd drank too much. So we ambled off into the night for a walk over to Pier 17, and sat and watched the bridges for a while.

2z7YBdS.jpg?1

* Can someone please explain to me how that caramelle (with chanterelles) is $5 less than the spaghetti? Not complaining, mind you, just wondering.

I also wanted to comment on something I know nothing about, but that's never stopped me before, so...

The building is stunning; we took a walk through the lobby before dinner, back and forth while we were eyed suspiciously by various building personnel, and it is one of the most gorgeous examples of art deco in NYC. I wish they had been able to incorporate more of that into the restaurant space.

#22 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,901 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:41 PM

we're eating here tonight.

speaking of service: last night at rezdora, the server told us that they were out of the gnocco fritto (at 8.30 on a friday). i began to ask him if anything else was also out but before i could finish speaking he decided to answer the question he thought i was asking and spent two minutes talking about the dishes he'd recommend.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,566 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:29 PM

Yeah, it's so great to have access to the 70 Pine (Cities Service Building if you're old) lobby.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,566 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:30 PM

If there are two things Rezdôra has problems with, it's (1) keeping the gnoccho frito in stock, and (2) service.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:38 PM

If there are two things Rezdôra has problems with, it's (1) keeping the gnoccho frito in stock, and (2) service.

If there is one thing MOST places here have a problem with, it's service.

Being out of the most popular menu item at 8:30 on a Friday night - well, that's old hat for Rezdora, no?

#26 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:41 PM

I also wish I knew more about wine, as the list is deep. And vis-a-vis pricing, I'm guessing there are bargains strewn throughout.  So sticking with the low(er) end of the price range, and with stuff we both like to drink, the wines we had last night are priced at so much less of a markup than at other places, let's say it was pleasantly surprising. 

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,566 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

Crown Shy's list is SO fairly priced.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

More than fair!!!!

#29 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,901 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:29 PM

we really liked our dinner last night. the one dish that felt off was the gruyere fritters. i think i fall between sneak and rich on these. they're perfectly made and very tasty but to me they seem best suited as a bar snack. as a first course it was an altogether too heavy and rich start to the meal and felt oddly placed before the more delicate dishes of the second course. i also think it's much too large a portion for two people to share at the start of a meal. and it particularly felt like a non-sequitur considering the great bread/labneh they sat down right before it came out. in hindsight i wish we'd omitted it and got another dish from the second or third courses.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,566 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:44 PM

That’s a much better expression of my own feelings about that dish.
Bar Loser

MF Old