158 replies to this topic

#31 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:10 AM

Sneakeater's expression of mongo's expression expresses my feeling almost as well.

We actually took 3 fritters and 2 cauliflower things home, knowing we'd never be able to finish all our food if we ate them all, especially eating that whole bread and labneh!

I heated them up tonight in the CSO and then pulled one apart to check it out - there was virtually no cheese in it.

Bar snack indeed.

#32 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:52 AM

Crown Shy's list is SO fairly priced.

Just looked it over, and holy crap it is. I had just been perusing the champagnes at Atomix in advance of the SO's birthday dinner next weekend - some of the same bottles, same years show up on both, the price difference is painful.

#33 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,298 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:56 AM

Thinking of the crab donuts at the Liebrandt Chef’s Club pop up. Big, rich, messy, and not the way to start a tasting menu.

#34 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,396 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:07 AM

Would rock in chicago
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#35 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:30 AM

its time to just go to Crown Shy

Not for this lunch ... and I didn't make this ressie ... might try to convince / divert to Atla ... and Crown Shy may be cued up for same day for dinner ... however I have a monstrous problem with their wine list ... seriously.

I find it to be OUTRAGEOUSLY priced ... surely for Spain and France, outside champagne (yeah, the Krug Grand Cuvee is fairly priced ... but let's get real ... I'm not drinking a bottle of Krug as my wine for the whole meal)

And I'm totally serious re pricing and it's NOT a stupid, useless point that Spanish restos have wildly cheaper wines.

It's that the Crown Shy wines have CRAZY markups and, on principle, I will NOT go to restos that totally hose their customers so badly on wine ... hence why Le Coucou was 86ed. 

Happy to have someone tell me which of the Galician wines are NOT borderline criminally priced ? which Spanish are fair ? French ?

J'ecoute ...

I don't know nor drink American wines anymore ... not that I have a problem with all of them ... I simply don't know them anymore

So what's fair, or better yet, super fair on that Crown Shy list that you actually, truly want to drink ?

And this is not snobby Chambo who needs a high priced wine ... cuz I don't ... but I do want a nice wine at a fair price.

And take your answers to the Crown Shy thread, please ...

I'd hop off that high horse, Chambo, and drink some American wines. Or German.

Maybe you'll even learn something.

I don't know nor drink American wines anymore ... not that I have a problem with all of them ... I simply don't know them anymore

So what's fair, or better yet, super fair on that Crown Shy list that you actually, truly want to drink ?

And this is not snobby Chambo who needs a high priced wine ... cuz I don't ... but I do want a nice wine at a fair price.

Joe, I'm not high nor haute and I'm always willing to learn ... you know that ... hence you're misreading me and playing the game poorly ... 

Sentence one states the current situation. Sentence two is an invitation to YOU or others to lead

Sentence three says that Chambo drinks ... and he doesn't have to be high to do so ...

In other words, you can make him drink ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._to_water.shtml

And yes, I know what a high horse is ... but I'm not on one if I''m dead-on, on-point and factually accurate per Spain (and hell of a lot of France) on that list. I focused on those two because I know them cold. Prove me wrong ... knock me off that Euro-horse that you think I'm on ... for each "fair" there, I'll supply two OUTRAGEOUS ... along with PRE-EXISTING PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE from my extensive private wine photo library ... and take it to the Crown Shy thread .... if there is one ...if not, no worries

Is it possible that you are rebelling against facts, joe ... and that maybe it's you who needs to come into alignment with them ... 

A fair wine list shouldn't crush their clients in Old Europe, should it ?

#36 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

No - my facts are that we're (you're) in NYC, where as has been discussed endlessly, prices can be sky high in restaurants, especially on the booze front; hello, $18 cocktails made out of, well, much less ingredient cost.

So...drink some beer, some water, some whatever - if the wine prices so annoy you. The research is your bailiwick. I have to go back to my stove, where I'm seasoning my new donabe.

#37 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,425 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

The German and Austrian names I know are roughly between 2 and 2.5 retail.

But yeah, what Joe said. Everyone is just solving for gp dollars/table

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#38 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,396 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:25 PM

There's a time and place for no show socks and it's not on those waiters.

#39 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

I think there were a couple of Californians as well.

2 and 2.5 retail is a bargain these days!

#40 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:11 PM

I think there were a couple of Californians as well.

2 and 2.5 retail is a bargain these days!

In the bubbly category, quite a bit below even that.

As I noted above, there were a few identical bottles on both CS and Atomix's lists. I only looked at the bubblies - but out of curiosity I made a little chart of the overlap.

Numbers, in order - Atomix price, Crown Shy price, lowest NYC retail price I could find, and the Crown Shy markup. 

zs1ZI3X.jpg

(pasted as a jpg because I couldn't figure out how to make tables in this box)

Anyway... granted that's just smidge of the overall selections, but Champers is traditionally the MOST inflated part of any wine menu. Atomix's prices are fairly normal by NYC standards. Most are hovering around 2X retail, a couple even fall short of that. Crown Shy... I mean, the highest (in this admittedly slim subset) is 1.5X retail. That's practically unheard of in NYC. 

#41 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:29 PM

But Chambo doesn't want to drink bubbly with his meal?

#42 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:02 PM

But Chambo doesn't want to drink bubbly with his meal?

His loss.

That Beaux Sens - the best comparative deal (if not the cheapest overall) on the list - would go great with most of the food menu. 

#43 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

The champagne seems to be by far the best deals. Krug for 200 is great ($340 at Shun!).

#44 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,396 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:54 PM

Yes, that's great if unsustainable. 

But the markups on food are terrifying.

#45 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,901 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:22 AM

Yes, that's great if unsustainable. 

But the markups on food are terrifying.

our dinner cost substantially less than our dinner at rezdora the night before. can't speak to ingredient costs at either place but we preferred our dinner at crown shy.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson