54 replies to this topic

#46 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:25 AM

A very quick trip to Chicago—-two nights. What a great city. Last time I was there I was in high school. Two very good dinners at Frontera Grill and Publican. Great service at both venues. If you happen to be in the vicinity of Frontera the spicy Manhattan cocktail is really good.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#47 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:12 PM

I was in the suburbs of Chicago last night. I was sitting next to, I promise on my life, a group of executives with white claw. I was in a well off suburb, like the Bethesda of Chicagoland. I was on my way to a steak house and noticed the neon sushi sign and slick interior. My dining companion and I said “why not”, we haven’t had sushi in awhile.

We ordered agadashi tofu and a seaweed salad with tuna. The agedashi tofu came really well fried but instead of the broth I was expecting, it came in almost a honey mustard dressing. It was huge, it was presented like an appetizer At a sport bar, there were drizzles of things and sliced dried seaweed for affect and it was multi colored. It tasted like something you would get at a sports bar and well after removing the dressing it was pretty decent. The other seaweed salad came in a deep fried wonton bowl.

The largest section of the menu contained “signature rolls.” Many of them contained cream cheese, half contained fried shrimp and creamed cheese. Lots of sauces and spicy mayo. I’m surprised they didn’t have a Ditka Roll.

I ordered an oshinko roll, roll that had spicy tuna wrapped around a soft shell crab, we ordered a yellow tail scallion roll, a scallop roll and two pieces of toro. The soft shell crab in the roll was deep fried in the before time. The spicy tuna had a crust on it that made me think the rolls were pre-made before we got there. The scallop roll had so much rice and contained so many various tiny bits of scallops, it might as well not had any scallop in it at all

When the food arrived, the first thing noticed was the amount of rice all the rolls had. Like fist fills of rice. The rolls were unevenly cut, pieces in a particular roll varied. The scallion roll had so many scallions, the rice was 3/4 of an inch thick, maybe an inch. The ends of the roll had rice spilling out as it was over stuffed.

If you have seen photos of friends of Facebook making sushi at home, you have seen better rolls. And while I was thinking to myself of the travesties being committed here, I thought, this is Japanese food adapted for the Midwest. This is fusion. This is the same story of Red Sauce Cuisine or of any cuisine being modified to the tastes of a particular locale.

We had two pieces of sushi, one oshinko roll, one yellow tail scallion roll and half of a 4 piece special roll and I was uncomfortably stuffed. I woke up this morning stuffed.

Those white claw executives chowed down with reckless abandoned. The platters that came might as well have been buffalo wings. They were 5 huge dudes that would have sooner been eating 48 ounce steaks if they weren’t eating deep fried dish encased in mayo and rice. And it made me think of the big night and it made me think of how food brings us together and it made me think of how this food would go great with a white claw.

There is no doubt in my mind this place is wildly popular, people love it and it makes many people happy and hopefully makes the world just a little smaller and a little more connected.

Waiting for deep dish sushi, Italian beef sushi, kielbasa sushi and all the other trappings of the Chicago diet
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#48 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,287 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:22 PM

have you read about Sinaloa-Style sushi? 

https://www.vice.com...nd-grilled-meat

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#49 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,432 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:36 PM

Deep dish sushi is a phrase that should never be spoken.

#50 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:48 AM

Deep dish sushi is a phrase that should never be spoken.

I would be surprised if this restaurant molded their sushi in an inverted butter dish cover.

#51 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:52 AM

Interesting. You think there would be a ceviche sushi or a Shrimp Cocktail sushi too. But yeh, it’s fried stuff, lots of rice. Sounds fun and young, breaking rules and blending cultures and cuisine. I’d have a few beers and try it. I’ll pass on the cream cheese though

#52 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,071 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:08 PM

I once lived in ignorance of the fact that in Israel a tempura roll means the entire roll (cream cheese and all) is battered and fried.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#53 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:13 PM

I once lived in ignorance of the fact that in Israel a tempura roll means the entire roll (cream cheese and all) is battered and fried.

Sounds like what "sushi" would be at the Minnesota State Fair.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#54 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,391 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:14 PM

Israel and Minnesota:  can't tell them apart.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#55 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,432 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:56 PM

Oh dear, I thought I might like Israel.