23 replies to this topic

#16 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,078 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:14 AM

Adrian, we'll just have to agree to disagree about Son of a Gun.

Another curious one for me is AOC getting La Plate and not a star.

It occurs to me that the reason there are so few (I think one) San Gabriel Valley one stars is that most don't accept reservations, except for larger parties.  Thus, Newport Seafood, Lunasia and others get no stars.  I'm wondering if this criterion makes sense.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#17 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,067 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:22 AM

Michelin stars remain, despite everything, the fiat currency of the restaurant ranking economy. How much currency can be issued before restaurants and diners consider it a default in the style of the peso crisis? Hard to say, but as it stands each star is worth more or less 30% additional revenue and requires investment of about two to three years of said revenue.

But LA should mosdef publish its own guide where every restaurant gets five ponies because they're all great in their special way, and who doesn't deserve a pony?
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#18 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:40 PM

Adrian, we'll just have to agree to disagree about Son of a Gun.

But what is the case? I see in a world where the Spotted Pig and Uncle Boons and State Bird Provisions have stars, it starts to look weird that Son of a Gun is unstarred because then you're arguing over whether it is marginally better or worse than other high-level, but ultimately upper-midrange, restaurants. But my premise is that starring these kinds of places, except in some really unique circumstances, is not in line with what Michelin is good at doing (and has historically done in Europe). If you're operating in a world where your one stars are Cafe Boulud, Aldea, and Gramercy Tavern (or Trois Mec maybe), the argument for Son of a Gun, no matter how great you think it is and even if you think that it executes its proffer better than Boulud, starts to look weak. Remember, the idea of starring Le Chateaubriande was a controversial one, and it operates in an idiom much closer to what I am talking about than Son of a Gun. 

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,390 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

It's telling that in France it's a scandale when insufficiently prepossessing restaurants get Michelin stars, whereas in the U.S.A. it's a scandal when they don't.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,390 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:01 PM

Michelin stars remain, despite everything, the fiat currency of the restaurant ranking economy. How much currency can be issued before restaurants and diners consider it a default in the style of the peso crisis? Hard to say, but as it stands each star is worth more or less 30% additional revenue and requires investment of about two to three years of said revenue.

But LA should mosdef publish its own guide where every restaurant gets five ponies because they're all great in their special way, and who doesn't deserve a pony?

Think Foxface will get one or two?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,078 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:00 PM

I have to wonder if the reason Spago and Michael's get la plate instead of a star is their failure to serve mignardises at the meal's end.

Then that happened.

#22 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,067 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:43 AM

Seven ponies.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,390 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:54 AM

I thought those are your ingredients.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,078 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

Seven ponies.

Eating cheval is illegal in California.

Then that happened.