22 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,530 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

No, it only supplies the CD player (I mean, it COULD supply the pre-amp, if the pre-amp were compatible) (which mine isn't).

I think the point is that separating out the power supply enables it to be bigger, of a higher quality, and more isolated. Which impacts sound.

But that's not the real point.  The manufacturer's intent here is to provide an easy upgrade path.  You can buy a very good product at a certain price point, and then a few years later make it better with an additional cash outlay (an amount you might not have wanted to spend when you bought the product at the outset).

Let me put it this way: a couple of years after I got my last CD player, the manufacturer offered an internal power supply upgrade. Before pulling the trigger on the upgrade, I auditioned modified v. unmodified versions of the CD player at a store. The difference was NOT subtle.  So, yes, with CD players the power supply somehow matters.

These guys just make that kind of upgrade easier:  instead of having to ship my CD player back to them and then wait a few weeks while they replace the power supply (as I did when I upgraded my last CD player), I simply buy the external supply and hook it up.

So I think the point here is that the external power supply is higher-quality than the built-in one, not that it's external.  (Although I'm sure that isolating the power supply does provide additional benefits.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,550 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:32 AM

https://www.nytimes....ming-music.html

“But Young hears something creepier and more insidious in the new music too. We are poisoning ourselves with degraded sound, he believes, the same way that Monsanto is poisoning our ...

Bless you, I can tell Charles Shaar Murray’s joke again. If Neil Young cares that much, why can’t he keep his guitar in tune?

#18 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,550 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:33 AM

I have a cassette deck, yes, as part of my audio stack, but the door is jammed. Anyone know where I could get it fixed, or should I just forget about cassettes and dump it?

#19 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,108 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:57 AM

Screwdriver, then it's the little thingie that senses a tape inside needs some love almost every time, or a spring is broken the rest of the time. (all assuming it's not a fancy player with motors doing the hard work of opening the door for you)
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#20 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,809 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

https://www.nytimes....ming-music.html

“But Young hears something creepier and more insidious in the new music too. We are poisoning ourselves with degraded sound, he believes, the same way that Monsanto is poisoning our ...

Bless you, I can tell Charles Shaar Murray’s joke again. If Neil Young cares that much, why can’t he keep his guitar in tune?

https://youtu.be/6j2I0TAG5ow

#21 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,550 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:40 PM

Screwdriver, then it's the little thingie that senses a tape inside needs some love almost every time, or a spring is broken the rest of the time. (all assuming it's not a fancy player with motors doing the hard work of opening the door for you)

I am not competent.

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,530 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:41 AM

Because I know you all care, now that my external power supply has broken in, I sit there and can't believe how good it all sounds.  Orchestral music in particular has an immediate presence, blended with detail -- especially clear independent bass -- that's just sort of overwhelming.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,530 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:31 PM

And let's not forget the wiiiiiiiiiiiiide soundstage.

Bar Loser

MF Old