81 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,224 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:52 AM

I should also note that the bar food menu for this residency is extremely attractive.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:29 AM

We've seen this kind of modern Jewish cooking before, though it sounds like never this well executed (and never, to my knowledge, with Argentine influences).

I'm not sure there are any argentine influences except the big meat idea.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#18 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,224 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:41 AM

Agree (FWIW).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#19 plattetude

plattetude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

Rye.  Aquavit.  Mustard powder.  Schwartz's Montreal steak spice mix.  Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray.

Mix.   Drink.  Vomit.

I'm reminded of one of my favorites from Amor Y Amargo's heyday -- Scandi Gibson

2 oz Krogstad Aquavit

1 oz Cocchi Americano

15 drops Bitterman's Celery Shrub

10 drops Bitterman's Hellfire Shrub

cocktail onion

As advertised, tastes like rye bread in a glass. Many years later, still in regular rotation at home.

#20 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:39 PM

Jewish-Argentinian, Japanese-Peruvian... close enough.

We had the kibbeh, the gefilte fish, the foie, the tongue sandwiches, the varenike, and the Jerusalem mix.

Pretty good all around, but I'm more a fan of the small plates than the larger plates. The larger plates seemed fine to me – well-executed versions of whatever, but they just weren't that interesting. Like, they were good, but they weren't really the kind of thing where it seemed to make sense to go out to a nice restaurant to eat.

A lot of the small plates were just fun all-around, though.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#21 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

How does the wine list at a place like this work? Did they just... put all the French wines back in storage or something?

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:51 PM

That's because it absolutely doesn't make sense to go out to a nice restaurant to eat this kind of food.

You'd have to be meshuggeneh.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

Tongue sandwich = great

Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:15 PM

That's because it absolutely doesn't make sense to go out to a nice restaurant to eat this kind of food.

You'd have to be meshuggeneh.

Ever been to the UES 2nd Avenue Deli's upstairs cocktail bar? They do some of this to varying degrees of success.

#25 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:26 AM

How does the wine list at a place like this work? Did they just... put all the French wines back in storage or something?

The staff has to drink it.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#26 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:21 PM

So anyway, there's a decent amount of Middle Eastern food here, and some Sephardic -- but an absolute shit-ton of Ashkenazic (which, as an Ashkenazic Jew, is fine with me). But here's the thing: while the term "shit-ton" is usually all too applicable to that kind of food, the stuff here is fantastic. It's like a "What If": what if Ashkenazic food were good? You aren't even sick after eating it!

Yeah, the music is sort of Hava Nausea.

Pita could be much better but the challah with the "onion" spread and pickle was terrific.

With stomach upset being the theme for all things, well, at least Ashkenazic...Significant Eater and I had quite an enjoyable time here. 

I arrived first (amazingly, The M14 SBS sorta works) to a literally empty bar - and it's a big bar, so when it's empty, it's really empty. Not to worry, the place filled up by the time we were mid-meal, and by the way, the bar area is very nice. Currently, there only appears to be one item on the bar menu not available on the dining room's small plates menu, a short rib pastrami sandwich...everything else is fair game.

I guess if there is one dish served at Mishegene which might invoke a Proustian label to me, it would be the gefilte fish. Actually, it would be potato latkes, but they're not on the menu, so...

j5eyJxM.jpg?1

I give you the gefilte...just gorgeous...and delicious, the pickles alone were insanely good. Under the roes, fish gribenes, and take that, grandma!

That tiny tongue sandwich, all mine because as I mentioned years ago, SE turns her nose up at tongue - just great, though I could eat like 10 of them. Which might've been a better idea than this rather weird (to me, once again I'm Ashkenazic) fatoush salad...

ZPA0RFR.jpg?3

Overrun by giant pita crisps, sitting in a pool of, I guess, tomato water. This got a big feh from us, while the chopped liver chicken liver pâté was basically supernal. As were the schmaltzy onions, and onion-y schmaltz.

For "dinner," Sig Eater ordered the varenike, which themselves were great, but we thought a bit marred by being served in/with a very sweet onion saucy broth, almost like a French onion soup. For really great varenike (and I guess there are lots of varieties and methods of prep), I'd still head to Brighton Beach and, well, Varenichnaya.

I had birdie...

yNLkeyp.jpg?2

Which was kind of a hot mess. I couldn't decide if it was too sweet, or too salty, and then I realized - it was both!  Not that I didn't eat it. The next day for lunch, cause we had some leftovers to take home.  Including some of that pita, which on its 2nd day, wasn't all that bad...

ElUvDiB.jpg?2

Especially after turning them into za'atar crisps!

Oh yeah, we're going back. And the focus will be on the small plates. Just like at grandma's.

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,224 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:29 PM

I think they told me you can order the full dining room menu at the bar. (Not that you’d necessarily want to.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:58 PM

I think they told me you can order the full dining room menu at the bar. (Not that you’d necessarily want to.)

Exactly - at least by our experience, the small plates seem to be the way to go.

#29 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,224 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:54 AM

Also I really want that pastrami sandwich.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#30 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,239 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:31 PM

Now that I am going I feel I have standing to say they call it Mishiguene.