#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

Yesterday, at 89, and I just noticed.

In terms of his work, enormously influential. A lot of readers now think automatically about how writers systematically suppress threatening predecessors, and how many poems (and novels) are in large part about earlier poems and novels. He became part of how serious readers read (in the Western tradition, at least). And I suspect he has influenced how writers write.

Interested to know if Mongo thinks I exaggerate.  

#2 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:53 PM

he's been irrelevant for at least three decades now in the world of literary criticism. everything he hated has replaced his influence. and, of course, people have been saying out loud in recent years what was always open knowledge: he was a lecher and a sexual predator.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:36 PM

Oh well, there’s two views. :D

Completely agree that the approaches to which he was hostile continued to thrive; he was King Canute, and I think he relished the role. But do you not think even feminist, Marxist, etc critics haven’t been influenced by him?

The phrase “in terms of his work” was deliberate of course.

#4 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:01 AM

i don't think his abiding obsession with "genius" has had much purchase in feminist, marxist, etc criticism. the anxiety of influence, sure. but his work ossified into shtick a while ago.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:54 PM

Well sure, his analysis of influence, not just of predecessors on writers, but of poems (etc) on later poems. Ironically, his insistence that poems are about earlier poems seems much closer to a sort of Derridean pan-textualism than one might expect. But his pose as a bastion against the horrors of theory was never very consistent with his practice.