13 replies to this topic

#1 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:18 PM

Or maybe it was already fancy, and I was just unaware 'cause I mostly go - or went - to the Lakeside (o.b.e.) or Manitoba's (ditto). Lamia's Fish Market is run by the same people who own Le Souk, if that means anything to you. It's rangy, like Los Feliz on Orchard, and there's a glassed-in room in the back that would be perfect for your rehearsal dinner. It's also quite glamorous, decor-wise. See?

JqFms9u.png

7lMJM73.png

I went for their "early catch" (aka happy hour), during which you can get, in addition to many other appealing things, four kinds of oysters for <$2/each. I was crazy about the Fire Island Blues, only slightly less enamored of the Black Duck Salts (which would be described as "mushroom-y" at Upstate), and not all that fond of the East Beach Blondes. I also got a ceviche trio: shrimp with onion and pepper and lime, ahi with gray and black caviar and baby arugula, and scallop with smoked paprika and red shiso. Very nice! Especially the scallop.

qYbJu8I.png

No hard liquor for now, so I had a Seaside Sour, pretty and foamy and too sweet for me. It's a comfortable place to hang, and it also might appeal to some of you wine guys, but I know very little of such matters and can only report that the list is long and contains some orange stuff and some natural stuff.

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:11 AM

Thanks!

#3 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:33 AM

Interested to know what you think! if you go.

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

So I went last night, and enjoyed myself as I was getting plied with wine and sake by Lamia herself, who took up a seat at the bar next to me, and started introducing everyone who came in (her mom, others) to me (while my taquitos of red snapper were getting cold!).

Those taquitos - good.  The shrimp cocktail, with ginormous shrimp - good (though I might've cooked the shrimp 30 seconds less). After that, and god knows how much wine, I took the plunge into the regular menu by ordering a pasta - with clams.  Unfortunately it suffered from what so much restaurant pasta suffers from, the dreaded overload of butter, making what in my opinion needs to be a nice, light pasta dish, heavy. 

The place is huge. The wine list is quite nice (natural, orange, you get the picture), and even the 2 wines I tasted which are on tap (a Gruner and an Albarino), were quite drinkable. And the menu is appealing - I will certainly bring Significant Eater back with me, and see what kind of damage we can do.

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:35 PM

Okay, I'm confused.  There was a Le Souk at the exact same address as Lamia's, but it closed years ago.  The Le Souk on LaGuardia may have no relationship to that old bar, which had a very bad reputation.  Am I right?  And I am trying to think what occupied the space between Le Souk and Lamia.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,068 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

Same ownership (with some shenanigans around listing one party as the owner of this and a differently surnamed spouse as the owner of that iirc). I'm guessing they didn't get a full liquor license this time around.

Not sure there was anything there.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:48 PM

Not a full liquor license now. but said she'd apply for one down the road, whatever that means.

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,068 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

I'm amazed they even got b&w eventually since the long term intention is obviously to run a "without complaints" for a while before applying for a full license and resuming the criminality. 

https://www.dnainfo....-le-souk-space/

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:39 PM

Oh wow; now I'm wondering about the wine and sake.

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:49 PM

Those guys, of course, shut down after losing their liquor license in 2009 after countless infractions and rambunctions.

All in the EV nightlife thread, I'm sure.

#11 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:01 PM

Oh wow; now I'm wondering about the wine and sake.

They reapplied and have a license valid for 2 years. 

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,424 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:34 PM

Few are more broad-minded than me when it comes to SLA licenses, and I did the local CB no favors when I was writing about the neighborhood. But the old Le Souk was a problem.

#13 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:12 AM

Went again last night and had a somewhat less positive experience. We were three this time, so we sat at a lounge table. The chairs are ridiculously high (even for people taller than me, i.e. everyone) and the tables much too close together for comfort. The oysters were still very good, but the ceviche was sloppier, the salmon roughly cut, the scallops past their prime. Octopus carpaccio was very nice, if a bit too vinegar-y. The shrimp in the shrimp cocktail, large and lovely to look at, were way more than :30 overcooked. I started with a cocktail, Basic as a Fish (prosecco, watermelon juice, rose, tasted mostly like just rose) and then decided to try one of the by-the-glass natural wines. There were three whites, two for $14/glass, and a chardonnay for $22/glass. I asked for the viognier - the server told me they were out, but she'd bring me the other not-$22 one. Then she returned to "offer me a taste" of the $22 chardonnay, 'cause whattaya know! They were also out of the other not-$22 one. I was not thrilled by this, and told her, and ordered a muscadet instead. Shady! Or maybe I'm just overly suspicious.

#14 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

Not a great sign with the wines.And looking online, there's no wine list to speak of and which to see.

OK it's one and done for me. While waiting for Ernesto's.