11 replies to this topic

#1 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:33 AM

Spouse has to travel to NYC for work next August, and we could come with him. I would love to spend 5-7 days in the city but can't imagine spending the full 2 to 3 weeks* in the heat.  The thought was to drive upstate and show my kids where I spent my childhood summers. However Albany is also not really what I connect with vacation, and where I grew up is still pretty rural -- i.e. no hotels/vacation homes.

Do you guys have any ideas? We would prefer to stick to one or two places, with outdoors stuff to do. Like, are there places where they have nice day camps for the kids while the parents hang out near a pool or something? Or really good hiking options?The kids like horses, if that adds ideas...

Was looking at heading towards the ocean instead but I haven't found anything so far that is remotely close to water that doesn't make Sylt seem like a fantastic bargain. 

I put this in Boston/Northeast as it seems more likely to include Albany.  :closedeyes: (And also because I was starting to look at Vermont....)

* European paid vacation allowances = main reason I can't move back.  

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#2 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

MV or ACK ... that's where you want to be without a doubt ... flights from to NYC to ACK are no worries (but not SW cheap) but book them in advance ... and yes you're paying real money for these places ... and start praying now for good weather ...  which in August is usually a very good bet (June less so) ... but there should be lots of inventory now since you are early in the game ... you don't need to be on the water as those prices will be big big big ... but rent a car, most likely rent it off island and take it across on the (expensive but most likely still worth it .. but check) ferry ... timed slots for cars (but not people) on the ferries ... and it's August so you reserve your car slot going AND returning well in advance ... MV out island def has horseback riding ... ACK less so and nothing immediately comes to mind but then again hbr is not my thing ... 

Maybe Boston’s Best HR Tech Exec Evah ! is an ACK homeowner and pretty much runs a full-time summer camp for her nieces and nephews chez elle ... and has done so from many many years ... or at least she used to cuz those little tiny tots are collegians or more now ... we used to hang out quite a bit and I was super friendly with the entire clan (family isn't a big enough word to describe the situation). She spends her summers full-time on ACK and has done so for a long time and she would know any and everything regarding kids options on island ... but I'm not going to bug her unless you are actually going there ...

#3 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM

I love Vermont and can chime in with location if you decide to go that route. That saying, I don't have kids and basically treat Vermont like the Napa of breweries so our interests probably mostly intersect at food (though most breweries are ok with kids visiting if you like beer). Vermont would be a good place to find a cottage or cabin on a lake and use that as a home base to explore. Tons of great hiking and it's truly beautiful in the summer. I'm sure you'd also be able to find some good summer camps, definitely with horses. Depending on where you are, Montreal and Quebec could be an easy car ride (about an hour) away.  

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,814 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:04 PM

Vermont...I'm with Abbylovi on this. 

In Mass, we like Gloucester...and Cape Ann in general.

The Adirondacks area in New York are huge and hugely gorgeous.  Friends have a weekend house on Canada Lake up there.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,537 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:13 PM

I really love the Adirondicks.  (Don't let your kids expect anything like the Alps, though.)

ETA -- "The ocean."  Oops, forget it.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,306 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

I feel like there is just a plethora of options here and it really comes down to which activities and service you value and where you find a place to stay you like. Also proximity to Manhattan as a determinant. The Hudson valley can be overhyped in spots ( Hudson I'm looking at you) but broadly speaking it's a way more appealing place to stay than even five years ago. Really all of these places mentioned here have really positive user cases.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#7 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

What about the Berkshires or Finger Lakes? Lots to do in both regions.

Future Legacy Participant.

#8 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

I think we are more likely to do upstate/Vermont.  I would love something all-inclusive but then the food has to be really good and so far I haven't found anything. Otherwise a vacation cabin where we could self cater. We like active vacations, basically lots of outdoors time and nice views. Not so much fun parks, more bikes/hiking. Water stuff if it's idiot proof. A nice clean lake for swimming. Horse riding would be a huge plus. I am willing to trade the Alps for fireflies, at least this year. My kids have never seen them! 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#9 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:22 PM

Ooh, Adirondacks. How tall do you have to be to learn fly-fishing? 

-Chomskybot

#10 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:07 AM

Look at Mohonk Mountain House. I believe the food is supposed to be pretty good.

Future Legacy Participant.

#11 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,814 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

Fly fishing - the new hipster sport.

Step aside, goat yoga. The chic way to unwind now is fly fishing

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,537 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:22 PM

Well, you have to be taller than the fly.

Bar Loser

MF Old