9 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:09 AM

From Nick Anderer of Maialino. Looks worthwhile.

https://gothamist.co...ns-west-village

ETA: The entrees don’t look as interesting as the rest of the menu.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,537 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:40 AM

My entree was way worse than the rest of my meal.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:45 AM

The way of the world.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,537 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:32 AM

To elaborate a bit:

1.  Hudson Rarebit.  Somewhat disappointing, in that it wasn't toast with a savory cheese sauce ladled on, but rather more just an open-faced toasted cheese sandwich.  There might have been some savories underneath the layer of melted cheese; but if there were, I couldn't taste them.  Still, not bad, because the local cheddar-style cheese they used was extremely good.

2.  Bucatini Baczinsky.  Bucatini with a light tomato sauce and lots of Baczinsky City Ham.  This was great, fabulous, fantastic.  Big surprise:  Nick Anderer can make great pasta.  It raises a question, though:  if the best things at a Nick Anderer throw-back New York cuisine restaurant are the pastas (called "Macaroni" on the menu to make them seem more throw-back New York), should Anderer really be doing a throw-back New York restaurant as opposed to the Italian spots in which he made his name?

3.  Hanger steak "Lorenz".  I have no idea what steak "Lorenz" might be, but this was totally ordinary:  not worth leaving your apartment for.

4.  Schmaltz-fried potatoes (as a separately ordered side).  How could these not have been crispier?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,814 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

Thoughts or elaboration; since I haven't been, I can only have thoughts.

Your comment Number 2 - maybe that's really the throw-back to New York restaurants, which probably never made great pasta. Of course Nick makes great pasta - duh - but no Italian (in Italy) would ever put lots of ham (prosciutto, pancetta, guanciale, whatever) in their pasta sauce.  That would be a waste, because everything is basically a condiment for the pasta.  But when they came to New York, and started to have a bit more than they did back in the old country, their cucina povera became a little more abbodanza.

In my mind, it's why so much damn sauce is ladled on so much damn pasta in this country.

Hey - was there ever a Denton restaurant in this spot - I seem to remember something.

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:53 AM

There is very little that excites me about this menu. A sort of forced throw back to a time that never existed.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,111 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

Bacsinszky is no Kurowycky

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,537 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

Wasn't the Denton place on the other side of Hudson?  Like you, I'm just remembering (or trying to).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,814 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:37 PM

Wasn't the Denton place on the other side of Hudson?  Like you, I'm just remembering (or trying to).

Now that I realize what side Anton's is on, yes indeed, Denton's place was on the other side.

#10 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:48 AM

We had lunch at Anton's this afternoon.*  We really enjoyed our meal. While everything we had was well-prepared and delicious, the absolute star was the spectacular chopped liver and hearts.  Worth returning just for that!  Since we didn't order any pasta, we'll probably try some next time, perhaps the Bucatini Baczinsky Sneakeater raved about.

(*Lunch is served only on Fridays. However, we spoke to Nick, and he said that eventually he will expand to the rest of the week.)  

Photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJGoezg