28 replies to this topic

#16 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,114 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:21 PM

One take on the "facts" underlying the movie.  https://www.thedaily...offa?ref=scroll

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#17 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,306 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:27 PM

Goodfellas and Mean Streets have at least a moment of levity. There isn't a sense of doom from the first moment. The narrative here is just dry. The dialogue is just... Serious. It's doesn't make the movie good or bad, it's just a hard watch given the length.

They cgi'd the actors to "de-age" them.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#18 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:51 PM

Goodfellas and Mean Streets have at least a moment of levity. There isn't a sense of doom from the first moment. The narrative here is just dry. The dialogue is just... Serious. It's doesn't make the movie good or bad, it's just a hard watch given the length.

They cgi'd the actors to "de-age" them.

Ahhhh, got it...thanks.  

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:36 PM

FWIW Francesca just said, in his officious way, that Pacino was better than DeNiro - in this movie. And Pesci is better than both of them.  Hoffa, being an over-the-top character in real life, evidently better for Pacino to do. 

#20 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:07 PM

As a fan of Scorsese's since Who's That Knocking At My Door, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Maybe it could've been 1/2 hour shorter; but is that Scorsese when he wants to tell his story?

"Dragging" Pesci out of retirement, and putting him in the role of Russel Bufalino as opposed to the roles he always tended to play was pretty great.  As were, in my opinion, some of the scenes with Pacino and DeNiro.

And as strange as it may scene, Significant Eater and I actually laughed at certain points/lines in the movie; easily the ones paying homage to certain great movies of the past.

I think one of, if not the major reason he chose not to use younger actors to portray the old guys, was because of the obvious reference to the use of character(s) in Godfather II.  But watch the added footage, the discussion among the 4 - it's somewhat telling.

You know, Springsteen has referenced how great it is that he gets to work with people who he has been great friends with for 50 or so years. So has Costello, most recently in Bass Magazine (though in his case, more like 40 years), speaking about his bass player Davey Farragher.  I see the same here, with the addition of Pacino throwing a curveball into the mix.

#21 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:30 PM

Maybe most other movies just really suck, but the good reviews keep rolling in.

A. O. Scott

As the movie year winds down, I would like to express my gratitude to Martin Scorsese. Not only for making “The Irishman,” his best movie in a long time and one of the best of 2019 (see below), but also for reminding the world of the value of cinema.

Richard Brody in The New Yorker.

I found myself overwhelmed by feelings and thoughts and sheer beauty, and I often stopped the movie to savor the moment, back up a bit, and watch a scene again. Viewed this way, the movie stretched out closer to five hours—a day very well spent.

One reason for the pausing and the savoring is the majestic intricacy of the tale’s construction

#22 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,109 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:58 PM

One reason for the pausing and the savoring is the majestic intricacy of the tale’s construction.

And the falling asleep.

Only 18% of viewers made it to the end.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#23 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:22 PM

We didn't make it to the end either, but we started watching late one night. 

And then finished the next night; there were a number of scenes where my wife asked to watch them again, which we decided to do on our next viewing.

#24 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:34 PM

I will from here on in refer to my trips away from the tv to go to the bathroom, get another drink and/or check my email as "pausing and savoring." We also watched over two nights, which definitely contributed to my liking it. I can't (happily) sit through a 2+ hour movie in the theater anymore, as I was recently reminded during Knives Out.

#25 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:28 PM

i watched it all in one sitting last night having gone in fully expecting i'd take a 24 hour intermission. i thought it was very good--a revising/rewriting of goodfellas focusing on the inner blankness and moral rot of sheeran, and by extension the world he's in instead of its flashy seduction as experienced by henry hill in goodfellas. the film works as a sort of repudiation of the genre. that said, i didn't think it was great--i think us and especially parasite are far superior films.

deniro is very good; pesci is amazing. pacino i think is benefitting from the reduced expectations people have for him at this point.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#26 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,109 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

I can only think of it as several hours of "are you talking to me?"

#27 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,306 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:03 PM

i watched it all in one sitting last night having gone in fully expecting i'd take a 24 hour intermission. i thought it was very good--a revising/rewriting of goodfellas focusing on the inner blankness and moral rot of sheeran, and by extension the world he's in instead of its flashy seduction as experienced by henry hill in goodfellas. the film works as a sort of repudiation of the genre. that said, i didn't think it was great--i think us and especially parasite are far superior films.

deniro is very good; pesci is amazing. pacino i think is benefitting from the reduced expectations people have for him at this point.

::Goldstar::

How much of this is scorsese feeling his own mortality. Itreally is Goodfellas without the Copa. Even the parallels between Liotta pistol whipping the neighbor and Deniro beating the grocer and how the respective women react.

Pesci is great great great.

I really want to see parasite but haven't yet.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#28 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:59 PM

How much of it is all of them (and us (or me)) feeling our mortality?

#29 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,109 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:42 PM

It's very clever, the Eyes Wide Shut marketing strategy.