10 replies to this topic

#1 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:45 PM

The good news first: We walked in at 7:45 on a Saturday night and were seated at the bar immediately, caveat that they needed the seats back by 9:30.  Not a problem. Thank you Thanksgiving weekend.

The rest: The meal was a solid "eh". I wouldn't go back, especially for how difficult it seems to be to get into on non-holiday weekends, but I wasn't angry afterwards.  We ate:

Scallop Ceviche: Really enjoyed this, it was the highlight of the meal. Slightly-too-big chunks of scallops in a creamy/sweet/sour sauce, and it worked.

Rice noodles with Mushrooms and Seaweed: This was fine? A little heat and a little sour, but didn't strike me as particularly new, I've had similar dishes. The spicy sauce was reminiscent of a spicy tuna roll.

Duck nigiri: This was horrible. I genuinely can't believe all of the glowing press that I've been reading about this. Something about the aged duck and the banana (maybe it was aged too?) combined to make it taste like dirty a gym sock smells. I had trouble getting it down.  I like aged meat, I like gamey meat, I like funky meat, but this was bad. The rice was mushy and the nigiri fell apart when picked up. Just bad.

Fried Iberico pork with pesto udon: This was good. The "pesto" was completely smooth and more herb-forward than olive-oil-forward, but sprinkled with parmesan cheese nonetheless. An odd combination of flavors, but I liked it.

Two ($16, fine) cocktails, one ($12, not very good) beer, and the above was $200 after tip and tax. The service was middling, the bartender serving us was clearly brand new (maybe brand new at being a bartender -- one of the waitresses had to explain to him how to crack ice with a bar spoon), but he was perfectly nice.  

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:57 PM

I do agree this place is generally overrated.

I will add, though, the lobster with beef heart is a very good dish.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:14 PM

I wanted to try that, but my dining companion doesn't like offal.

Have you tried the duck nigiri? Is my palate just wrong? 

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:24 PM

I thought it was fine. But what do I know?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:26 PM

Maybe I just like gym socks. Given your screen name, I’d have thought you did, too.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:06 PM

My sweatshorts are always freshly laundered. 

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,109 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:37 PM

Searching for llama san in japanese brings up some weird shit.

71-Jo7dUhaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#8 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:52 PM

I forgot to mention that we also had dessert.  It was a bruleed banana with banana bread and miso ice cream.  It was delicious, but holy shit it was tiny.  I *might* have been satisfied if I'd eaten it by myself, but sharing it with another person was brutal.  It was a quarter of a small banana (a banana cut in half, then cut in half lengthwise, then that quarter bruleed (i.e., they need one banana to make four of these)), a small slice of banana bread, and a small scoop of ice cream.  

#9 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:40 PM

Llama San coming in at the top of all of these year-end best-of lists is blowing my mind. 

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:50 PM

Not as much as Mercado Little Spain's coming at the top of Wells's.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts

Posted Today, 01:45 AM

Not as much as Mercado Little Spain's coming at the top of Wells's.

I kinda like this choice.