Photo

What's the Most Obscure Cuisine You've Eaten in New York?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:50 AM

When I was a boy I really liked malted milk.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#47 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:04 PM

Black and white malteds were great.

This space available… contact owner.

#48 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,306 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:23 PM

well look what happened - we didn't sustainably harvest the maltese, and now when was the last time you even saw a malted on a menu? 

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#49 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:24 PM

Well, how many candy stores with soda fountains are there these days?

This space available… contact owner.

#50 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:01 PM

All the vice in London is run by Maltesers, so probably some restaurants too.

Note: Irony, conscious reference to old UK TV shows, the pun on the UK candy Maltezers, and I lived six years in Soho. This is thoughtful comedy.

#51 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:23 PM

Don't know about this Maltese stuff. I found the food to be mostly Italo-ordinary. The Valletta harbour tour is nice enough, but Gozo's the place to be for riding about and local snacking. We quite liked Ta'Frenc (http://tafrencrestaurant.com/), but I don't believe there was much Maltese about it.

#52 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:50 PM

in malta they eat devilled cat. devils are driven out of possessed sicilians and into the bodies of specially selected cats from mgarr. the cats are then hung, flayed and squeezed into cans. they say you can tell the authenticity of a maltese toilet (they have the same word for "toilet" and "kitchen", and oddly also for "planetarium") by the distance from which the odor of its mgarr cat pies can be detected.

Mongo, your knowledge of the maltese ways never ceases to amaze me. However, I cannot hold back... they told you it was cat??? wink.gifwink.gifsad.gif

test-title.jpg

oh god, please don't tell me i was tricked into eating devilled badger! i will never be allowed back into yalta again.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#53 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:34 PM

Ligaya Mishan has us all covered!

Burmese dishes rarely found in New York City, each an incantation of ingredients chosen and prepared for maximal juxtaposition.

Long wooden tables run down the middle, where diners commune over Mr. Thiam’s vivid precolonial West African dishes: malleable boulders of fufu, boiled plantains pounded under a steady stream of palm oil; egusi, traditionally a cassava-leaf stew, here made with collards, honoring the influence of the African-American diaspora; and fonio stained crimson by jollof, tomatoes broken down with a crush of baobab leaves and whole Scotch bonnets.

The food of Iraq is not widely known in America, despite the decades-long tangle of our countries’ fates, and few New York menus have ever showcased the cuisine. But since July, Mohammed Almandalawi — the Mississippi-born son of Iraqi immigrants — has been cooking the dishes of his childhood at this bare-bones restaurant in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, a neighborhood that is home to a growing Arab population.

#54 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:24 PM

Well, yes. I think of bacon, eggs, and hash browns as an incantation of ingredients chosen and prepared for maximal juxtapositions, so fair enough.&

#55 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:30 PM

Black and white malteds were great.

Uh-o

#56 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,109 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:51 PM

Well, yes. I think of bacon, eggs, and hash browns as an incantation of ingredients chosen and prepared for maximal juxtapositions, so fair enough.&

If you believe in ZFC then any incantation of ingredients has a maximal juxtaposition. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#57 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

I have zero recollection of making that post yesterday, but it was after midnight.