82 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,863 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

From Stephen Starr, housed in one of the grand buildings on Central Park South Park Avenue South. The room looks amazing. Traditional European bistro classics, apparently, but the website is currently blank apart from a Resy link.

#2 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:14 PM

Thought it was supposed to be on Park Ave. South in the Swedish museum.

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,863 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

It's in the same building as Fotografiska, yes.  ETA: Sorry, my mistake in the first post. Will fix.

#4 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:50 PM

Fotografiska is at 22nd. The scandy house is 36th. Having been in both in the last two weeks pretty sure it's Foto

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

Fotografiska is at 22nd. The scandy house is 36th. Having been in both in the last two weeks pretty sure it's Foto

Yes, as mentioned in another thread...

The building, a landmarked 1894 structure, now houses Fotografiska, and it is gorgeous inside and out.

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,863 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

The website is all there now. Odd.

https://veronikanyc.com/

#7 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:54 PM

Dover Sole prepared in the style of Napoleon's mistress? Sign me up.

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,863 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:27 AM

She used to leave flour all over the bedsheets.

The daily specials are a bit more interesting than the carte.

I last saw foie gras soup in Philadelphia. Where the heck was that? Okay, Sbraga.

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:55 AM

Tokaji Escenzia, 2008, $70 for an ounce.

Not tonight.

#10 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:47 AM

Tokaji Escenzia, 2008, $70 for an ounce.

Not tonight.

Given that at the only NYC store I've seen it, it was like $950 for a half-bottle, that's actually under retail.

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:03 PM

Looks like you can get it for $700 out of state, but point taken.

I felt I had to go to this place because it is just the kind of new restaurant I've been demanding.  A restaurant which recognizes all the conventions which make dining a comfortable and enjoyable experience, and which isn't trying to reinvent every dish on the menu to make the chef's name (Robert Aikens: a short resume, but this is his second Stephen Starr gig).

I can't say much about the food based on this one visit, but the setting is remarkable.  Start in the Chapel Bar downstairs, with a celing soaring at least two stories high. Veronika, on the second floor, has (faux?) marble table tops, vast chandeliers, really comfortable seating, and although it's large (in an appropriate grand cafe sort of way), it didn't feel impersonal because it was so busy.

I don't know if it's for training purposes, but this weekend saw about as high a staff to patron ratio I've seen since Ducasse at the Essex House.  Hard to believe they really need that many captains every night.  

Just three days in, so hiccups are forgivable.  They couldn't get my souffle Suissese to the table with any dispatch, so Melissa came over, welcomed me, apologized, and said they'd comp me something in the meantime. That turned out to be the fancier of their two salads: chicory, radicchio, aged Gouda, anchovy vinaigrette.  As soon as the salad landed, I saw a server headed my way with the souffle; he saw the salad, turned on his heels and vanished, and it was a while until I saw the souffle again. But the intention was good.

The souffle was comfort food, served on the plate ("His daughter, that paragon, could make a souffle  Grand Marnier that stood up on a flat plate" - never a bad thing to be reminded of Liebling).  It was hot and fluffy, and riddled with melted Gruyere. The sauce Mornay could have been punchier.

Then lamb goulash, which I wouldn't really count as such as I saw no peppers. Braised lamb, really, but in a first rate sticky reduction sauce. And no fear of fat. Served over spaetzle.  This is good, hearty cooking, which rarely makes an appearance in glamorous surroundings any more. Okay, there's the oxtail at La Grenouille.

The bar staff downstairs had gone into raptures describing the desserts to me: there are plated desserts, and a trolley with big spongy cakes. Sadly, carbs at that level would probably send my body into shock.  They need a cheeseplate.

Again in grand cafe fashion, you could blow big money on caviar, lobster, steak, but you can also eat reasonably for about $60, not including wine. I had a half bottle of Cornu Ladoix with the lamb.

Note: the line up of daily specials is appealing (poule au pot, tafelspitz), but the online listing isn't the same as the on premise listing, so be cautious.

#12 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:07 PM

And...that building!

Did having dinner there entitle you to visit the "museum" floors with the photography? 

#13 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:30 PM

And...that building!

Did having dinner there entitle you to visit the "museum" floors with the photography? 

There's something called "A Night At The Museum" on the dessert menu for $21, with no explanation. Best guess is it's a discounted (normally $28) ticket. 

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

I didn’t realize the museum stayed open until 11pm, so I didn’t think about any of that.

#15 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, the $28 ticket is kinda steep - it's not like Stieglitz, Frank, Lange or Gordon Parks are upstairs. 

But the Lucinda show I saw on the 6th floor did entitle us to museum privileges for the night.