6 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,255 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:36 PM

I said, got damn.  While not the worlds best, perhaps New Yorks?  

On Wyckoff, right off the L.. They have a spinning wheel of meat, they have a lady reaching in to a mass of masa, tearing a small chunk, throwing it into a press and then placing on the flat top... If you do not like spicy, ask for the SOS, Salsa on the Side as the Salsa they put on it is a Habanero Base, I would guess.. But yeh, crunchy, delicious, pastor.. 

Get it.

two tacos and a tostada..

49601026218_8991ccf95d_w.jpg

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

Everytime I try to go, they just closed.

This Sunday.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,898 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:01 PM

While not the worlds best, perhaps New Yorks?  

Haven't we already established that New York's (or any place in the United States') best in anything doesn't rank better than 500th in the world?

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,245 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:21 AM

Huh, walked by hundreds of times, didn’t know I should go in. Usually pick up above average Dominican at Sazon Nunez, other side of the DeKalb stop.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 02:27 AM

This has to be the best or near the best taqueria I've tried in New York.  (Right, Rich:  not nearly as good as the best in Mexico City.)  Better than my Sunset Park standbys by like a lot.

And man, those guys who put together the tacos (and volacanes and gringas and quesadillas and tostadas) are fast.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 02:37 AM

I had the al pastor, the carne asado, and nopal asado (the first two in tacos, the last on a volcan).  I liked the al pastor the best, but I wouldn't pass up the other two if I were you guys.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:06 PM

Tried this morning. One of each meat option - al pastor, pollo, carne asada. The al pastor shined, it's certainly one of the better renditions in town. The other two... fine. Found the carne asada a bit bland, actually. Pollo was better, good smoky char hiding in there. Wasn't crazy about the house salsa verde - too garlic-heavy for my taste, but others may love that. 

Good tortillas. The texture was reading more masa harina than masa fresca to me, but that's still better than typical and they had a nice pronounced corn flavor. 

Yeah, the al pastor is probably the best in town I've had. If I lived in Ridgewick I'd be pretty happy to have them in the neighborhood.