30 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:44 PM

Steve R. is going tonight, so I thought I'd get the jump in posting.

This is a new French bistro headed by Joe Ogrodnek, formerly of Battersby and Dover (and currently also Floret on the Lower East Side), with a lot Breslin alums in the kitchen and running the wine program.

Especially given my high regard for Ogrodnek, I found it slightly disappointing.  Everything was just a little bit worse than I thought it would be.  Not bad, nothing like it.  Just not really really good.

One problem, I think, is that the dishes are just a mite too busy.  Nothing is overly complicated, but almost every dish has a "touch" or two that was evidently intended to make it more interested, but just makes it busier.  This is supposed to be fairly simple food.

I think the real problem with this place is that it opened at around the same time as Le Crocodile, and Le Crocodile does the same sort of thing much better.  (OTOH, after this week's Times review, you won't be able to get into Le Crocodile anymore.)

The wine program is lots of fun, and you don't have to spend a lot (although Rich isn't going to love it, if you know what I mean).

Now over to you, Steve.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:46 PM

Just to be clear, I'm sure I'll go back.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:47 PM

[NOTE TO ADMINS:  "Brooklyn" and "Smith Street" were supposed to be separate tags.  Can that be fixed?  I can't figure out a way for me to do it.]

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 06:42 PM

Did I mention that Rich & Peg are going with us tonite & he looked on line at the wine list & didn't (yet) back out? :ph43r:  And that I fully expect it to not be as good as the food I ate in Paris  :ph43r: :ph43r:  , especially the frais de veau  :ph43r:  :ph43r: :ph43r: .  The price point looks pretty good though vis a vis Paris.

This space available… contact owner.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, the price point is sensible.

And, just to be clear, my complaints weren't in comparison to Paris.  They were in comparison to what you hope for from Joe Ogrodnek in New York.

But I don't want to be too down on this place.  I really do think my issues arise from its coming right after Le Crocodile.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, but I just wanted to get in one last jab on the frais de veau front.

By the way, I thought Dover was good but less than what I expected from him as well.

This space available… contact owner.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:01 PM

You know, I have to agree with you about that.

Don't even try Floret.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:33 PM

Did I mention that Rich & Peg are going with us tonite & he looked on line at the wine list & didn't (yet) back out? :ph43r:  And that I fully expect it to not be as good as the food I ate in Paris  :ph43r: :ph43r:  , especially the frais de veau  :ph43r:  :ph43r: :ph43r: .  The price point looks pretty good though vis a vis Paris.

Rich isn't cooking?!

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

He's doing a pop-up in their kitchen.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,326 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:45 PM

The only thing I “think” would work would be you starting the topic again, recopying your post there...then me deleting the original. The only thing I can see to do from the Admin side is edit the title, not the tags. Sorry.

#11 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

I hope it’s less of a waste of talent than the stuff his former partner is doing at the hi hi room.

#12 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,898 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

Rich isn't cooking?!

Hey it's my one night out this week!!!

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:05 PM

I hope it’s less of a waste of talent than the stuff his former partner is doing at the hi hi room.

Which, BTW, is already regressing to the mean by eliminating a lot of the more seemingly interesting items from their menu (at least they still have the Skyline Chili).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:08 PM

I didn’t like the chili that much, even though the fresh spaghetti did more for it than I thought it would.

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,255 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:09 PM

People suck and have the palate of a five year old, well, not my five year old.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.