#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,255 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 07:52 PM

49640328043_32c82c459e_z.jpg

Looks like the Berkshires are becoming more and more Brooklyn.. This, an old diner, with a chef that has one of the more impressive resumes I have ever seen.. Michelin Stars, Noma, San Fran, New York, you name it, this guy cooked there..  I have read the articles, America's most exciting new diner, I have seen the accolades.. 

What can I say, it's a cute old diner..  Retooled diners are trending right now.. Meme's Diner has been on Eaters hot list for at least a year running, they are known for their burger sandwich.. Hihi room, Thai Diner, Gold Diner, Soho Diner, all are diner like except, more expensive and tricky versions of American Classics.. The only NBC Diner I have been to that is truly excellent is the Palace Diner in Maine but, yeh, ok, it's a trend. 

So, we arrive and I am really excited.. Nobody in the joint, the menu is tiny.. A burger, a rueben, some wings, a salad or two, turkey club, avocado toast, Huh, well, the menu is so tiny, now it has to be good... They also are offering a breakfast menu which seems to have as many offerings as lunch.  13 dollar blood marys with some sort of interesting twist..  But yeh, breakfast has grain bowls, avocado toast, a breakfast sandwich, some baked goods, a hash.  Familiar simple items with some sort of addition that justifies justifies tripling the price.. A 12 dollar bacon,eggs and toast with some fresh herbs. 

16 dollar Reuben.. It is smoked?  I don't know, is it steamed? I don't know.. Is it greasy and tasteless, well kind of...  Is there less than 3 ounces of meat on the whole thing, yup.. The sauce decent, the kraut I am sure homemade but, the effort was lost on me.  The bread, a Nordic Rye Bread. Pretty substantial but, slightly under toasted for something so greasy.  And 16 dollars to boot..  

49641124577_f0822c4ec9_z.jpg

Wings... They were said to be smoked and fried and tossed with nduja..  Sadly, they were able to dry out the wings,while adding no discernible smoke taste..  The wings were tiny, I thought they were lollipopped at first but, no, the were just tiny.. The smoking removed whatever moisture would have been left after frying them.. The wings then tossed in the nduja was a great idea..    I think because the wings were dry and small and perhaps the nduja was maybe from the fridge, it didn't really blend well.. I liked the idea of the flavoring the wings with flavors of nduja but, the amount they put in, or perhaps because it wasn't spreadable at that temp, it was mainly just dry wings.  If you look at the plate, there is no sauce, any marks left by the wings..  Probably the smallest wings I have ever been served.  and the purple radish that adds nothing to the dish outside of purple, I guess to show knife skills, or something.. 

49641204732_18763c1d9d_z.jpg

Pork Rinds: Ok. fried pork rinds served with a mayo buffalo sauce.. or something to that affect.. I would have to check the menu to see what the pork rinds were supposed to be spiced with..  A kale salad in the background that no one at the table wanted to eat. 

49640407613_a6154f1629_z.jpg

I tried the turkey club, i tried the burger, I tried the pot pie... The turkey pot pie Jax ate and it was probably the only dish that would have been successful had it been at an actual diner...  

I don't know, it was probably one of the more disappointing experiences I have had in some time.. If it was just some non descript diner, it would be forgettable.. To think that this is on the expensive side for brooklyn, that the chef and owner are so well trained and experienced and this is what they are serving from a menu that consists of less than a dozen offerings, all at about 50 percent more than anything in the area,  is mind boggling.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 07:58 PM

As someone really smart said recently:

People suck and have the palate of a five year old, well, not my five year old.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,255 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:28 PM

I mean, I don't know.. It's not their fault that they got all of this press.. And whatever, sure it's a little annoying when you hear about this incredibly traveled chef..  When I am up there, I normally like to cook and stay closer to home so no big deal

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:51 PM

Because:

People suck and have the palate of a five year old, well, not my five year old

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,384 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:52 PM

was the server mispronouncing in Italian or Calabrian?

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

This goes into the whole "food culture" discussion.  We have a bad one.  Most people here could care less about good food.  But they want to feel like they're people of taste.  So they flock to places that serve simple stuff they're familiar with -- so they don't have to stretch to accept anything "different" --  but made by people with a pedigree, and in some hyped manner, that allows them to believe it's "better".  But since they don't know anything about good food, they can't evaluate whether it's good or not.

That's why Shake Shack was such a thing when it was new.  Even though it wasn't very good.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 09:32 PM

was the server mispronouncing in Italian or Calabrian?

Native American?

That sign...

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,459 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 09:41 PM

They should be serving slightly cheffed-up pemmican!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 09:46 PM

If you happen to drive by the Phoenicia Diner, 20ish miles west of Kingston on Rte 28, give it a try. I don't think it has any pedigreed chefs, although it does have a lot of hipster cred, and a cookbook. I've mostly been for breakfast, and I always get the eggs benedict with smoked trout (it's not on the menu, but they'll do it). And the Reuben's only $13! A bargain. I've been going there since it was just a regular old hipster cred-less diner, and the food is definitely better now.

#10 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,413 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:11 PM

as best I can tell the only good hipster-fied places in that part of world are booze centric. (Suarez, Copake Wine Works, that weird French Sour Centric beer place in Kinderhook). There is place in Hillsdale I think my wife might burn down in the night.  

Food wise even most of Hudson absent a few exceptions is pretty ordinary when you consider the price

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#11 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:56 PM

They should be serving slightly cheffed-up pemmican!

Go with what you know, baby!

And this sucks - some good stuff coming from up that way...gotta cook with the booze.

Food wise even most of Hudson absent a few exceptions is pretty ordinary when you consider the price  

#12 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:59 PM

That's why Shake Shack was such a thing when it was new.  Even though it wasn't very good.

I don't know if I agree with your last sentiment...in its oevure (i.e. concretes and a fast food-burger), at the outset it was fairly good.

#13 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,413 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 11:14 PM

I don't know if I agree with your last sentiment...in its oevure (i.e. concretes and a fast food-burger), at the outset it was fairly good.

::gold star::

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#14 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,512 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:24 AM

This is where we stop for our pee break on the way back from Saratoga. I bet Rich knows this place well, at least the bathroom.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,255 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:36 PM

If rewritten my post to be more constructive and to add more grammatical errors.