No replies to this topic

#1 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 07:43 PM

Happy hour at Joe & Pat's on 1st Ave offers 10" pizzas for $10-$12, along with some drink specials. We had the 1960 Original and a Tri-Pie, which has pesto, vodka sauce and fresh mozzarella. These were excellent examples of a style of pizza I don't like all the much: super-thin crust, toppings applied very sparingly, cooked-down tomato sauce. They're served with little ramekins of cayenne, cheese, garlic powder and oregano, which added fanciness.

i9BzfI8.jpg

7O2E4qJ.jpg

As did the pretty damn fancy cocktail menu. I asked the bartender why he was pouring porter into a quart container and learned that one of the drinks involves a chocolate peanut porter reduction, which did not sound like a good idea to me AT ALL, but I ordered it anyway and ended up liking it quite a bit (it would be a fine after-dinner drink, 'cause the porter reduction has a nice bitter coffee-like flavor). Other ingredients: Strega, whisky, blueberry shrub, some other stuff.

qGon36H.jpg

We also had the octopus salad, which was undistinguished, although the octopus itself was perfectly cooked. The place seems to be doing a brisk takeout business, but only about a third of the seats were full by 7:30pm on a Friday night. Dunno if this is par for the course, or a symptom of the coronavirus.

SU40LPh.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: East Village