28 replies to this topic

#16 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:49 PM

I walked past this morning. Very mysterious. No signs of activity.

No noise from the robots milling long noodles?
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#17 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:04 PM

No, but I thought I could hear the faint whirr of extra-long yo yo testing.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#18 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:13 PM

Wilfrid, you are the closest.

The structure was built in 1919-21 as a New York Edison (predecessor of Con Ed) transformer sub-station, at a cost of $175,000. The architect was W. Whitehill, about whom I know nothing. It was also referred to as a transformer and storage battery station. At one time it was filled with lots of big, shiny machinery that turned DC into AC current. There were many such stations scattered around the city, until new technology was developed. New York Edison had to be granted a variance for this building. At least one neighbor tried to stop its construction on the grounds that it violated the zoning resolution (new in 1916!) on the grounds that it was an industrial use in a commercial zone and there were fears about noise and other dangers. It was stipulated in the variance that the walls of the building had to be at least 4 inches away from the adjacent buildings' walls.

A book by Christoher Payne, New York's Forgotten Substations, has an historic photo on p. 27, wrongly dated 1906. I was sorely tempted to buy this book, but resisted, and anyone who has read my threads on the taking care of books thread knows why.

In 1963 the building was altered for use as photo studios and offices, and then again, presumably in 1980, but to check that I'd have to look at the Department of Buildings records in the DOB offices and I don't do that unless I'm paid.

This is an interesting building type and even though Con Ed no longer uses the technology that required these structures, some of the buildings remain, either empty or converted to other uses. The buildings were designed to more or less blend into their neighborhoods, but often had large clear windows so that people could see the interesting machinery inside. My guess is that when these were first needed, electricity was still a novelty and the windows were there to reassure the public and satisfy curiosity.

Thank you, Orik, for the interesting question.

#19 clb

clb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:21 PM

The structure was built in 1919-21 as a New York Edison (predecessor of Con Ed) transformer sub-station, at a cost of $175,000. The architect was W. Whitehill, about whom I know nothing. It was also referred to as a transformer and storage battery station. At one time it was filled with lots of big, shiny machinery that turned DC into AC current. There were many such stations scattered around the city, until new technology was developed. New York Edison had to be granted a variance for this building. At least one neighbor tried to stop its construction on the grounds that it violated the zoning resolution (new in 1916!) on the grounds that it was an industrial use in a commercial zone and there were fears about noise and other dangers. It was stipulated in the variance that the walls of the building had to be at least 4 inches away from the adjacent buildings' walls.

A book by Christoher Payne, New York's Forgotten Substations, has an historic photo on p. 27, wrongly dated 1906. I was sorely tempted to buy this book, but resisted, and anyone who has read my threads on the taking care of books thread knows why.

In 1963 the building was altered for use as photo studios and offices, and then again, presumably in 1980, but to check that I'd have to look at the Department of Buildings records in the DOB offices and I don't do that unless I'm paid.

This is an interesting building type and even though Con Ed no longer uses the technology that required these structures, some of the buildings remain, either empty or converted to other uses. The buildings were designed to more or less blend into their neighborhoods, but often had large clear windows so that people could see the interesting machinery inside. My guess is that when these were first needed, electricity was still a novelty and the windows were there to reassure the public and satisfy curiosity.

Thank you, Orik, for the interesting question.

And you, Lippy, for that interesting answer.

clb

#20 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:23 PM

I still say testing yoyos.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#21 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,395 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:38 PM

Thank you Lippy! I would never have guessed that's what it was (obviously their intention). As Wilfrid said, it doesn't seem like anyone is using the building at the moment, with the exception of a clandestine yoyo cult.

edit: good rock band name - clandestine yoyo cult
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#22 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:43 PM

Yes, the Yo Yo Mamas of the Lower East Side.
Elect-a-lujah

#23 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,395 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:09 PM

In our next episode (weather permitting, tomorrow) - Signs of the spies - how some things in Turtle Bay may not be what they seem.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#24 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:48 PM

Great thread.

"New York Edison" is also engraved over the entrance to their building on 40th or 39th and 1st, one of the buildings that's coming down soon.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#25 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,395 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

Now it can be yours for just 25 million:

http://www.nytimes.c...r=rss&emc=rss#1