78 replies to this topic

#1 Tuckerman

Tuckerman

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

Grand re-openening after massive refurbishment last night and a new neon sign proclaiming just: "Tayyabs". So out with the New and in with the new which is now not New.

Packed celeb crowd last night (well one minor Scottish TV actor anyway) and great food including Payahs (sheep's trotters in broth), Haleem ( a long cooked dish of meat and dahl whereby the meat dissolves fully into the lentils so what looks like a regular dahl dish is packed with the aroma and flavour of meat) Nihari (lamb shanks in a thick sauce) and all the usual chops, tikkas, kebabs and curries.

A nice touch was the profuse thanks Fahro and I received from the Tayyab brothers for helping put the place on the map, internet wise that is. Free meals for life would have been nice, but they weren't going that far. Still the place is so cheap it barely makes much difference.

#2 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

Does that mean there's no longer a separate room for rowdy food board dinners? Have the old and new parts been combined?

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#3 Tuckerman

Tuckerman

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:20 AM

Does that mean there's no longer a separate room for rowdy food board dinners? Have the old and new parts been combined?

v

Yes and yes. There's a sort of semi partitioned off separate area where the "garden area" used to be, but its not fully separate. You have to see it really. The sweet shop is now incorporated into the restaurant and is now a sweet bar towards the back. It all looks very swish compared to before and is a tribute to their great success really.

#4 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:26 AM

It's definitely time I planned a trip in to see it. Congrats to Wasim & Co - may their lamb chops never run out!
Thieves, arsonists and deserters.

#5 Kikujiro

Kikujiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:48 AM

Have prices changed?
Same shit, different login. [-- Omni]

#6 Tuckerman

Tuckerman

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:27 PM

Have prices changed?

We were guests last night so didn't see the menu. It was help yourself. I would imagine they'll notch them up a bit.

#7 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:51 PM

I sincerely hope they do. Paying the bill at Tayyab was always something of an embarrassment, but those guys have got to recoup the cost of their refurbishment and they absolutely deserve to create some real profit for themselves ... and their staff.

#8 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:02 PM

I sincerely hope they do. Paying the bill at Tayyab was always something of an embarrassment, but those guys have got to recoup the cost of their refurbishment and they absolutely deserve to create some real profit for themselves ... and their staff.

Despite the low prices I think that car outside with the number plate tells you that they've been doing pretty nicely thank you.

v

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

#9 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:55 AM

As some of you are aware I am in London for the weekend. It would be good to sup with you at Tayyabs, either on the friday or saturday night,

Could people please express their interest and what night they would prefer, so this can be organised ASAP.

#10 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:45 AM

Yes please, I don't mind when.

v

#11 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:55 AM

I'm a definite maybe. I've PMd you Adam :rolleyes:

#12 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:28 AM

OK, it is looking more like friday night then saturday, as the former is the only night kiku can make it.

So far we have

Adam and Rebecca
John and David (eh, I assume)
clb and partner
Macrosan
Vanessa
Kiku?

As my train gets in at 5 and Macrosan has to leave by 9, how is 7?

Also, would it be possible for somebody in London to arrange the booking? I promise that if any of you come to Edinburgh, I will not make you cook for me.

#13 Guest_johnboy_*

Guest_johnboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:40 PM

Bloody people! I suppose this means I'm going to have to get up from my desk and walk across the bloody road and book a table for friday now (nothing like the personal touch!)

#14 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:43 PM

Yes.

v

#15 Guest_johnboy_*

Guest_johnboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:41 PM

Done. Friday 11/03 @ 7pm for 10 people (I allowed one extra, maybe two if Kiku can't make it, for anyone who might wish to join us).