#31 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

Arg. Why didn't I buy that cookbook?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#32 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

Someone is selling it used on Amazon for $235.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#33 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

Is the seller beanman551? ;)

#34 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

No way. I would keep mine if I had one. Really. Stop looking at me like that. I tell you the truth, woman!

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#35 yumyum

yumyum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

Thanks Orik. I don't remember the celery root puree on toast, but I'd had a little wine by then. The cabbage thing I remember.
I like mine moist and buttery.

#36 rcianci

rcianci

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:09 AM

Screw that extortion. I got mine from Archambault.ca for $59.95. Actually it cost me around $78 with tax and shipping and all. And yes, they ship to the U.S.

#37 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

Screw that extortion. I got mine from Archambault.ca for $59.95. Actually it cost me around $78 with tax and shipping and all. And yes, they ship to the U.S.

Do you love the book? Please say no, please say no...

#38 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

And...is that the French version you got for that price at that site? I don't see the English version there (I don't think).
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#39 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,292 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

If you put it in the same room with Pork & Sons, the soft pink thing hides in the corner very quietly.

I got it at archambault too.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#40 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:37 PM

The English version? Am I somehow just not seeing it on that site?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#41 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,292 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

I got the French version. I think you can buy the enlish one online too, via the restaurant's website
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#42 rcianci

rcianci

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Is the seller beanman551? <_<

I sleep with it every night. ;) No, seriously, it's a wonderful cookbook and unlike any other that I own. Many of the pictures are quite beautiful. One picture is quite disturbing. But rather than cook from it, this book really makes me want to go back to eat at the restaurant.

And yes it's the English version. Go to the English side of Archambault's site and search under "English Books".

My only complaint is that the comic book only comes in the French version.

#43 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

Dinner here last night. We each had a cromesquis – every bit as explosively wonderful as described and expected: warm, oozing liquid foie gras. Oh yes.

We each had a salad; beet and goat cheese for me, bleu/apple/endive for TJ. The beet/goat cheese is really a kind of napoleon – layers of roasted yellow beet with very light creamy chevre (whipped, maybe?) in between, tart mustardy vinaigrette in a ring around it, and the most impossibly tiny beet sprouts on top. I'll definitely be making this at home during the summer (probably minus the perfect sprouts). The bleu/apple/endive (shot with toasted walnuts) was delicious but gigantic.

TJ had the lamb shank, I had the duck-in-a-can, and we were moved to order a side of duckfatfries. Lamb shank very good, flavorful, well served by the accompanying lentil braise. Fries crisp and delicious and pleasantly ducky, but I prefer a more refined style of frites – these were of medium girth and very darkly fried; I'd call them “rustic”.

Duck in a Can: it's sort of a parlor trick, isn't it? I mean, it's delicious and satisfying and decadent (and we should have just split it between us, as the toast, most of the cabbage, a bit of the magret, and all of the fat went uneaten), but there's something wrong about the duck breast cooked that way. It doesn't pick up all of the attending flavors, as one might imagine it would, it's a little chewy (tough?) and the flaccid flap of duck fat is just gross. If I were to attempt this at home – and there's every chance that I will – I think I would confit the duck breast first. You'd get more flavor from the duck, the fat would be amalgamated into the whole, and the duck would be nice and tender. And I would definitely skip the toast & mash part.

I can be sort of imtimidated by city restaurants, country doofus that I am. But I was perfectly comfortable here. It's loud and bright and boisterous, and the service – last night anyway – is professional but friendly and enthusiastic. They could stand to boost their wine-by-the-glass pours by a hair. I don't think they're more than 6 oz. – nothing friendly and enthusiastic about that.

#44 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

I have to agree with you about the duck in a can. We got it and I think it was the only thing we didn't demolish.

I also agree with you on the vibe -- very welcoming and not at all stuffy or intimidating.

#45 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

Does anyone have the Au Pied cookbook? Is it a paperback? I just saw it at the Strand for $30 and ... It will be mine.