19509 replies to this topic

#19456 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

Nice use of the romanesco. Nicer plating than Lupa!

#19457 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:33 PM

Nice use of the romanesco. Nicer plating than Lupa!

it was like 3.99 for the peace at Wegmans.. It was so pretty, i couldn't pass it up.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#19458 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:56 PM

Decent price - you might like the classic Roman dish made with romanesco, Minestra di Broccoli e Arzilla.

#19459 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,544 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:14 PM

Is "arzilla" Roman dialect for skate?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#19460 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:16 PM

Decent price - you might like the classic Roman dish made with romanesco, Minestra di Broccoli e Arzilla.

you know, I have been wanting to make this dish for a long time. 

#19461 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:40 PM

Is "arzilla" Roman dialect for skate?

Yes, although when we were out to dinner with the Roman couple hosting us in their airbnb, she was translating it as a type of ray fish.

Here's another recipe with a slight variation, one which I like a little bit more, and which hews a little more closely to the recipe in one of my Roman cookbooks...

https://www.visitlaz...-in-fish-broth/

And Daniel will like this quote from said book, Cooking the Roman Way...

You won't see minestra di arzilla served by cooks concerned with the aesthetics of their plated masterworks. This is homely, homey food, but delicious.

I can vouch for its deliciousness, and have made it at home a few times...this, I believe, is the season.

#19462 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:48 PM

Oh, and the reason i like the second recipe is that it uses tomatoes vs. tomato paste in that Saveur recipe.

Elizabeth Minchilli's recipe is here.

#19463 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,544 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:50 PM

I always just substitute tomatoes for tomato paste anyway.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#19464 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:20 AM

I often do it the other way as I always have several tubes of paste on hand.

Tonight, I heated up the chili, fried tortilla chips, served with cheap cheese and sour cream. I was in the super market with the boy today when he handed me a pineapple. Well at first he handed me a container of chopped pineapple and I said, get the whole fruit. He tracked it down and wouldn’t you know an entire pineapple is cheaper than the cut up kind. Salad had serano, sliced onion, chive, cilantro, grape seed oil and lime juice. Lots more pineapple for eating.

The boy and I stopped by the pizza shop and purchased dough and we made a FeW pies. I let him do everything beside put it in the oven. He was very proud. His teacher at school said yesterday during p/t conferences, he’s a very picky eater. He’s the only kid in class who won’t eat the pizza on pizza day. I wonder why? He’s pretty good in the kitchen

#19465 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:11 PM

You're training him well, Daniel and Miss A.  Nice to see and hear of a youngster who doesn't only eat pure garbage, and then wonders why he/she has food "issues" later on. Very European of you! 

#19466 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:23 PM

Once I start bloviating about Roman food/recipes, I gotta have some.  Even though I wanted to go to Cervo's last night, Significant Eater may be coming down with a cold and wanted to stay home; she did say I should go and hang in my favorite corner seat while drinking various weird wines, but no, I stayed home like the good husband and made her dinner.

I always do this before making what I made...

W2tPEdZ.jpg?1

That is, toasting the peppercorns before crushing them in a mortar/pestle (it's the little things that make a difference, home cooks!).

And then...

9xjjiUw.jpg?1

Spaghetti cacio e pepe for two.  Sautéed haricot verts, with garlic, red pepper flakes and a couple of mini San Marzano plum tomatoes thrown in for fun.

#19467 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:55 PM

Had to scrounge -- family came back unexpectedly early from skiing, lifts were stopped due to wind. With some frozen chicken breasts was able to pull together chicken pot pie. The kids made a bunch of pastry stars that we also baked off. I had used two egg yolks for the stollen earlier this morning + one egg yolk for the pastry wash >> had the three egg whites I needed to make Pierre Herme Mousse au Chocolat for dessert. Pretty good meal for an improv. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#19468 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

Yeh, that Pierre Herme book was the start of my weight gain.. I think i made every item in that book.. wow, i remember before Scharfenberger was bought out, buying 3 kilo boxes of their chocolate at a time...Yeh, i have to take a look at that book again..  Sounds great! 

#19469 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

Friday, i stopped by the pizza store as we call it and bought a dough.. had some fresh mozzarella and I always have some sort of red sauce in the fridge.  I will make at least a can at a time and keep in a jar..  This was carrot, garlic and a little leftover wine..   But, yeh, we made pizzas, i let him essentially do everything with little interference.  

49084209533_dbb7dd4908_z.jpg

He literally said, cheese, every time he put down a piece of cheese... He was super in to it.. "cheese, cheese, cheese"

49084664143_789bf3802a_z.jpg<a data-flickr-embed="true"

49084657978_f127c210c8_z.jpg

My chili and a pineapple salsa..   So random with the salsa but, it was delicious. 

49085377027_6faa2d9374_z.jpg

I burned myself several times while making the tortilla chips.. I didn't respect the process and was rushing and using my hands and well, it was stupid.. and I had these nagging burned hands for a couple of days but, yeh, i was too lazy to like wash a utensil because it was a minor thing and well, i am dumb,,  chili was really good, almost like a mole. 

49084722511_32289e7de0_z.jpg

Made an egg sandwich the next day,.. bought a roll at the bodega and did three bacon, two fried eggs.. frying eggs on a bacon cast iron griddle, getting that lacy edge, so satisfying 

49084664023_62fdd95657_z.jpg

cilantro andcheese leftover from chili and some sriracha 

49085147661_d76569b6b3_z.jpg

this is my sons go to order at my place:

49085385802_57a75b0c87_z.jpg

for rick and morty last night we made sichuan chicken sandwiches.. toasted peppercorns, made a sauce, added peanuts and cilantro:

#19470 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:04 PM

FHEkYAw.jpg?1

Sheet pan chicken and sheet pan roasted potatoes and acorn squash.

Chicken wings dry brined for a few hours, then tossed with red peppers, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, paprika and espelette. Roasted at 425℉ for 30 minutes. Pan deglazed with white wine and then added lemon and capers to pour over the whole shebang. Really good.

The potatoes/squash tossed with duck fat, s & p and roasted along with the other sheet pan. Really good.