104 replies to this topic

#76 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

OMG how have I never had this sauce before? Oh, because it's a PITA to make?

It's just hollandaise with some whipped cream added, not all that high on the PITA scale to me... :P
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#77 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

OMG how have I never had this sauce before? Oh, because it's a PITA to make?

It's just hollandaise with some whipped cream added, not all that high on the PITA scale to me... :P

You obviously enjoy whisking more than I.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#78 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

Went to the Lost Abbey beer dinner at Union last night with Gary and Dayne. As always a wonderful dinner with plenty of food to go around and plenty of drink for all involved.

The menu
Posted Image

The Beers
Posted Image

Fried quail for starters, I didn't get a pic of the almonds or the prosciutto - paired with the Devotion Ale
Posted Image

Foie Terrine with pear mostarda paired with the Melheuse Brut Reserve, the only non Tomme Arthur beer of the night
Posted Image

Seared Halibut with English Peas and Morels, had to sop up the broth with some bread, paired with the Avant Garde
Posted Image

Braised Veal Cheeks with potato ramp purée, I love that stuff, paired with Red Barn
Posted Image

Roasted Venison, mmmmmmmm, paired with 10 Commandments
Posted Image

The always good chocolate terrine paired with the 2005 Cuvee de Tomme
Posted Image

Some very different and wonderful beers, all nodding to Belgium but not slavishly devoted to them.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#79 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:28 AM

That looks tremendous, sorry to have missed it. Not often you get good beer with fine food.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#80 marina

marina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

i went to the Marco Pierre White event, and had a lot of fun, but my boyfriend is a vegetarian, and his dinner was terrible. It was the same menu as us carnivores minus the meat. He paid $125 + for a quenelle of goat cheese on blini, frisee & egg, mushroom soup, asparagus, a couple baby artichokes on tomatoes & basil and the delicious entree: the garnish, minus the steak. i think he got an extra tomato slice. I was really disappointed, especially considering the price. We made reservations over a month ago. I know you can't accommodate every dietary restriction on a set menu, but it would have been nice to give him some pasta or risotto.

just a follow up, that i let ethan know about what happened at dinner. you never can tell if it was a snafu with the front of the house or what during those crazy dinners and they dropped off a very generous gift certificate. it was very nice of Mr. Stowell & company.

#81 hhlodesign

hhlodesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:40 AM

i went to the Marco Pierre White event, and had a lot of fun, but my boyfriend is a vegetarian, and his dinner was terrible. It was the same menu as us carnivores minus the meat. He paid $125 + for a quenelle of goat cheese on blini, frisee & egg, mushroom soup, asparagus, a couple baby artichokes on tomatoes & basil and the delicious entree: the garnish, minus the steak. i think he got an extra tomato slice. I was really disappointed, especially considering the price. We made reservations over a month ago. I know you can't accommodate every dietary restriction on a set menu, but it would have been nice to give him some pasta or risotto.

just a follow up, that i let ethan know about what happened at dinner. you never can tell if it was a snafu with the front of the house or what during those crazy dinners and they dropped off a very generous gift certificate. it was very nice of Mr. Stowell & company.

Kudos to Ethan for being generous here.

But I have to wonder, can you really attend a dinner with a publicly posted menu months in advanced, and then complain that your personal dietary needs were not taken care of? I think you know going in what you are signing up for. I don't go to Carmelita and complain that they don't have foie gras on the menu.

#82 marina

marina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

Kudos to Ethan for being generous here.

But I have to wonder, can you really attend a dinner with a publicly posted menu months in advanced, and then complain that your personal dietary needs were not taken care of? I think you know going in what you are signing up for. I don't go to Carmelita and complain that they don't have foie gras on the menu.

I asked when I signed up for the dinner if they could accommodate a vegetarian a MONTH in advance. I made it clear that it was not a problem if they couldn't, I would have to change the reservation.
I agree, I've worked many dinners and I know it can be a pain in the ass, but a vegetarian cook loves Marco Pierre White just as much as a omnivorous one does...so I simply asked. I didn't surprise them with it when I arrived and it wasn't like I said, "This person is gluten-free, this person is non-dairy, I want a kosher meal and my boyfriend wants a raw menu." It was one vegetarian. period.

I think your Carmelita is ridiculous, because vegetarians can eat at Union, usually, without a problem. If you called Carmelita and asked them if you could have foie gras on the night you had a reservation, they would tell you no, and then you would know you weren't getting any foie that night, and everyone would be clear.

Additionally, the menu was not posted until we arrived that evening.

#83 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

Cooks & Books Fall lineup- from their email:

First, we welcome the king of the sea, David Pasternack, for an evening focused on delicious fish and other creatures found in the ocean. Talented chef Ethan Stowell of UNION will create a memorable feast in celebration of David’s first book, THE YOUNG MAN & THE SEA: Recipes and Crispy Fish Tales from Esca.

David Pasternack understands fish—how to catch them, source them, buy them, and how to cook them-in fact, his Manhattan restaurant, ESCA is often thought of as the finest seafood eatery in America. At ESCA Dave created seafood dishes that impressed Ruth Reichl enough to say that, “On occasion, the food actually makes me vibrate with pleasure.” He grew up fishing and almost any day, when he’s not manning the helm at New York City’s famed restaurant ESCA, that’s exactly where you’ll find him—on a boat. THE YOUNG MAN & THE SEA: Recipes & Crispy Fish Tales from Esca is the most important fish-cooking book of the decade.

“Nobody knows more about fish, fishing, and fish cooking.” – Mario Batali

David Pasternack is the winner of the 2004 James Beard Foundation award for “best New York City chef”, and prior to opening the seafood mecca ESCA, he worked in the kitchens of Bouley and Picholine. David is a partner in the recently opened CUSTOMSHOP restaurant in Charlotte, North Carolina. David lives in Long Beach, New York with his wife, Donna Peltz, and their daughter, Ruby.

David Pasternack

THE YOUNG MAN & THE SEA

September 19, 2007

6pm

$125/person

UNION with dinner prepared by chef Ethan Stowell

1400 First Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101

(206) 838-8000 --Call for reservations

Next, we are thrilled to have the queen of TV, Padma Lakshmi in town to teach us everything there is to know about TANGY TART HOT & SWEET at the new, ultra-cool NOVELTY HILL-JANIUK WINERY in Woodinville.

This cookbook is full of deeply flavored, wide-world-inspired recipes and personal stories, and winery chef Charles Walpole (formerly of Restaurant Mistral) will be creating a globetrotting culinary adventure for us to enjoy with the award-winning wines of Novelty Hill and Januik. Winemaker Mike Januik will be on hand to talk wine and show off his new state-of-the-art winery. Truly, a must see!

“The title says it all. TANGY TART HOT & SWEET is the perfect “melting pot” cookbook. Every recipe, from the simple to the exotic, will take you on a culinary journey around the world.” – Tom Colicchio

Padma Lakshmi, host of Bravo’s number one food show TOP CHEF is also a model, actress, and award-winning writer. Her first cookbook, EASY EXOTIC, won the international Versailles Event for best cookbook by a first-time writer; David Rosengarten described the recipes in it as “truly sensual food, from the world’s most sensual cookbook author. Delicious.” Padma is also an internationally famous model, featured on Paris runways and also in Glamour, Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar and recently named by People magazine as one of the world’s 100 Most Beautiful People. A leading role in the forthcoming film “Exclusion” will round out the fall for this busy and talented foodie—don’t miss this chance to meet her!

Padma Lakshmi

TANGY TART HOT & SWEET

November 5, 2007

6:30pm

$125/person

Novelty Hill – Januik Winery with dinner prepared by Chef Charles Walpole

14710 Woodinville-Redmond Rd NE, Woodinville, WA 98072

(425) 481-5502 or sarah@noveltyhilljanuik.com --Call or email for reservations

And finally, we welcome the prince of finesse, author Michael Ruhlman and his most recent book, THE ELEMENTS OF COOKING: Translating The Chef’s Craft For Every Kitchen, for a celebratory dinner prepared by his good friend and chef of SERAFINA, John Neumark.

This book is sure to become the quintessential companion for the home cook, culinary student, and even the professional chef. Ruhlman has transformed his years of knowledge gained in some the best kitchens into a book on the essentials of good cooking (it’s based on Strunk and White’s THE ELEMENTS OF STYLE). You can take it anywhere!

From A to Z, this book has all the information that you need to get your cooking chops, perfect them, and keep them fresh.

“You can’t have art before you have craft, and you don’t have craft that’s worth anything before you master the fundamentals.” – Michael Ruhlman

Michael Ruhlman has been a freelance journalist and writer for more than 15 years. His work has appeared in The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Gourmet, Saveur, and Food Arts. He has written seven works of non-fiction: Boys Themselves, The Making of a Chef, The Soul of a Chef, Wooden Boats, Walk On Water, and THE REACH OF A CHEF, all works of participatory observation, as well as House: A Memoir, about the purchase and renovation of a century-old Cleveland Heights home. He has co-authored four cookbooks with two of the country's leading chefs; including The French Laundry Cookbook with Thomas Keller and, most recently, he conceived and wrote CharcuteriE with Michigan chef Brian Polcyn, which explores his passion for charcuterie, the pig, animal fat, and salt.

Michael Ruhlman

THE ELEMENTS OF COOKING

November 12, 2007

6:30pm

$110/person

Serafina with dinner prepared by chef John Neumark

2043 Eastlake Avenue East, Seattle, WA 98102

(206) 323-0807 --Call for reservations
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#84 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

Hey, Charles is cooking! <_<

#85 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:05 AM

I would love nothing better than to go to all three.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#86 heyjude

heyjude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

We would love nothing better than to have you at all three. And wait till you see who's coming up later in the season and where we're putting them. I never tire of this whole project.

#87 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

Paul and I just signed up for the Michael Ruhlman dinner at Serafina. I'd love to see Padma but, alas, I didn't renew my passport to allow me to travel to the eastside laugh.gif
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#88 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ Aug 23 2007, 11:47 AM) View Post
Paul and I just signed up for the Michael Ruhlman dinner at Serafina. I'd love to see Padma but, alas, I didn't renew my passport to allow me to travel to the eastside laugh.gif

LOL!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

We will also be at Serafina
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#89 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Aug 23 2007, 02:04 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Lauren @ Aug 23 2007, 11:47 AM) View Post

LOL!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

We will also be at Serafina

And so will we!
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#90 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

Us too! I want to go to the Pasternack one as well.

Rocky

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant