61 replies to this topic

#1 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:35 PM

I got to thinking yesterday that Onglette (Hanger Steak) is an overrated piece of meat.

The logic that preceded the thought? If there is only one on a cow and it is so prized by so many; why isn't subject to market forces. If it is so prized by butchers and the meat cognescenti, a premium should be attached, no? Why would a butcher be permitted to take such a prize piece of meat home and not sell it.

I was stripping 'em out of some veal loins the other day. I find veal onglettes to be nasty foul smelling bits of dreck (IMO). Funny, as I personally prize the rognons. I sent back about 5 pounds of SRF beef onglette on Friday (quality issue, they were mistakenly delivered frozen) and so this all coalesced into the "overrated" idea.

Thoughts?
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#2 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:36 PM

Onglet is a great cut. ;)
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,180 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

What do you think/feel about flatiron steak? Are similar factors at work? It seems to be another trendy cut of late.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#4 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:46 PM

I love a well-prepared onglet (hangar steak?). it is beefy, lean but juicy, and toothsome.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

Me too.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#6 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,471 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:50 PM

I really like onglet, too. I think it has more flavor than the higher-priced cuts of the same quality served in the same restaurant, although it is tougher. (I'm not comparing onglet served at a local bistro to porterhouse at Peter Luger.)

#7 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,180 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:57 PM

Me too.

That you are toothsome is a given.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:58 PM

Heh.

But seriously - I buy hangar steaks and skirt steaks all the time. Except for porterhouse which I grill outside in the summer, those two are the ones I eat. Well I do like me a nice ribeye too.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#9 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:09 PM

I really like onglette. I find it to be extremely flavorful.
Future Legacy Participant.

#10 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

Okay. I believe it's onglet. Not onglette. Correct?

#11 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

I'd pick a hanger steak over filet mignon any day. It's terrific on the grill.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#12 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:12 PM

What do you think/feel about flatiron steak? Are similar factors at work? It seems to be another trendy cut of late.

I think it's a piece cut from the chuck. Yes trendy, and I'd never heard of it until SRF started their hevy NYC marketing and promotion about 2-3 years ago. Again, only one per cow. Though (I think) it portions better than an onglet.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#13 bigbear

bigbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:48 PM

I find that the hanger is a little too flavorful for me..... bordering on "organy." I did buy a mess of them when I saw them on sale for $1.99 a pound and I ground them up for chili. Very good.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#14 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:56 PM

Maybe BigBear has a point. A nice piece of hanger can have a bit of liverish flavor about it, which I like, but which might deter sensitive high-end palates.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#15 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

I definitely take near-aggressively flavored steak cuts over tender 'premium' ones... I enjoy onglet a lot - some garlic, some green beans, pommes dauphinoise... mmm....
He has taken up residence in the 'Grand Hotel Abyss' - a beautiful hotel, equipped with every comfort, on the edge of an abyss, of nothingness, of absurdity. And the daily contemplation of the abyss between excellent meals or artistic entertainments, can only heighten the enjoyment of the subtle comforts offered.

Lukacs on Adorno, but....