Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:19 PM

And you all laughed at Derrida.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#17 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:57 AM

Flank steak is taken from the flank area and is a single muscle. It is used to make London broil in the US?

Ok, to further muddy the waters, it now appears that "London Broil" in the U.S. is actually a cut from the round roast, not sure if it is top or bottom round. Flank steak is from the lower belly area of the cow.

#18 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

Flank steak is taken from the flank area and is a single muscle. It is used to make London broil in the US?

Ok, to further muddy the waters, it now appears that "London Broil" in the U.S. is actually a cut from the round roast, not sure if it is top or bottom round. Flank steak is from the lower belly area of the cow.

The local Associateed sometimes offers something called "Shoulder London Broil". I am used to thinking of flank steak, with the long grain, as London Broil.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#19 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:34 AM

Usually top. Not really proper as for years a "proper" London broil was a beef flank steak.

Muddy 'em further: "Oyster Cut"--across the top round. Just about from the middle of the beast. My NAMP guide is in my desk at work.

"London Broil" from the chuck is a supermarket 'market term'. Probably used to push inexpensive cuts of meat. I don't know why we lust for "tender" meat. I like a bit of chew and so much beef naturally lends itself to flavorful types pf braises and pot roasts.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate