I see that I am going to have to resort to fisticuffs with this lot. :unsure:

#17 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:26 PM

'Disclaimer'...I eat at Lupa alot,am a friend of the house...but tonight,damn;house made orecchiette with a short rib ragu and some bitter greens was everything a good pasta should ever be....good chew to the pasta,flavorful,well seasoned ragu,and nice contrast from the greens.With a pinot nero from Alto Adige,even better.Radicchio agrodolce with hazelnuts and croutons to start.A simple and wonderful meal,one of the best...
Stung by Nettles

#18 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:55 AM

...tonight,damn;house made orecchiette with a short rib ragu and some bitter greens was everything a good pasta should ever be....good chew to the pasta,flavorful,well seasoned ragu,and nice contrast from the greens.With a pinot nero from Alto Adige,even better.Radicchio agrodolce with hazelnuts and croutons to start.A simple and wonderful meal,one of the best...

Playing on the traditional postcard message, "you had a wonderful time; wish I'd been there!"
I look forward to it someday.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#19 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:11 PM

Nice reminder - I haven't been in a long time.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#20 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:53 PM

.With a pinot nero from Alto Adige,even better.

Third time in a week I've seen a favorable reference to pinot nero from alto adige. I don't recall seeing more than one mention per year before this
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#21 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:09 PM

I have seen "Alto Adige" alone more often this year than in my entire life. Things come and go.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#22 Guest_Aaron T_*

Guest_Aaron T_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:44 PM

I have seen "Alto Adige" alone more often this year than in my entire life. Things come and go.

what about ramps and fiddlehead ferns?

#23 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:57 PM

As the interest and appreciation of Italian wines has grown,so has the availability of more regional wines in the U.S. and elsewhere...they aren't necessarily knock your socks off brilliant wines,but at a certain price point offer up something a little different.Alto Adige,Friuli,Valtellina...and on into Slovenia offer some good indigenous grapes and wines....so why not give them a try?
Stung by Nettles

#24 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

Yesterday a friend and I went to the "Whole Hog" lunch at Lupa. Pigs came from Violet Hill. It was a terrific meal and a really nice event, and for $75 (exclusive of tax and gratuity) I thought it was a really good deal. Here's the menu:

Amuse
Braised Pig Heart Bruschetta
Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Brut Drusian
(this was a nice amuse but didn't blow us away, flavors weren't particularly distinct)
~

Affettati
Selection of House Cured Meats
Pallagrello Bianco Terre Del Principe 2003
(included the best testa I've ever eaten)
~

Antipasto
Roasted Pig Belly with Pavoni Beans
Nora Le Baladin .
(Man this was a good course. Beautiful fatty pork, crisp skin, bursting with flavor, and the beans were a great contrast)
~

Insalata
Crispy Pig Tripe Salad
Lambrusco di Sorbara “Premium” Chiarli & Figli
(tangy greens topped with bite-sized pieces of tripe fried crispy in olive oil, fabulous)

~

Primo
Pig Liver Agnolotti with Aceto Balsamico
Montepulciano D’Abruzzo Il Feuduccio 2001
(rich, decadent, great balance of liver and sweetness in the sauce)

~

Secondo
Porchetta
Whole Roasted Pig with Traditional Condiments
Agramante Paolo Petrilli 2003
(served with perfect salsa verde, and roasted small round carrots, brussel sprouts and baby fennel)

~

Dolci
Crostata di Ricotta
Pork Lard Crostata with buffalo Ricotta
Passito Di Pantelleria Ferrandes 2001
(we went nuts for this dessert - it was a tart made with lard in the dough, topped with glorious ricotta and sprinkled with lemon thyme)
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#25 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:32 PM

Wow!!

Boy, does that sound good!
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#26 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:01 PM

Yesterday a friend and I went to the "Whole Hog" lunch at Lupa. Pigs came from Violet Hill. It was a terrific meal and a really nice event, and for $75 (exclusive of tax and gratuity) I thought it was a really good deal. Here's the menu:

Amuse
Braised Pig Heart Bruschetta
Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Brut Drusian
(this was a nice amuse but didn't blow us away, flavors weren't particularly distinct)
~

Affettati
Selection of House Cured Meats
Pallagrello Bianco Terre Del Principe 2003
(included the best testa I've ever eaten)
~

Antipasto
Roasted Pig Belly with Pavoni Beans
Nora Le Baladin .
(Man this was a good course. Beautiful fatty pork, crisp skin, bursting with flavor, and the beans were a great contrast)
~

Insalata
Crispy Pig Tripe Salad
Lambrusco di Sorbara “Premium” Chiarli & Figli
(tangy greens topped with bite-sized pieces of tripe fried crispy in olive oil, fabulous)

~

Primo
Pig Liver Agnolotti with Aceto Balsamico
Montepulciano D’Abruzzo Il Feuduccio 2001
(rich, decadent, great balance of liver and sweetness in the sauce)

~

Secondo
Porchetta
Whole Roasted Pig with Traditional Condiments
Agramante Paolo Petrilli 2003
(served with perfect salsa verde, and roasted small round carrots, brussel sprouts and baby fennel)

~

Dolci
Crostata di Ricotta
(we went nuts for this dessert - it was a tart made with lard in the dough, topped with glorious ricotta and sprinkled with lemon thyme)

I'll pass the word to the chef/sous chefs-They are good friends,and they work their butts off to make these special meals work out well...
Stung by Nettles

#27 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:11 PM

I'm jealous, got the email, wanted to go, but the trial calendar keeps me from committing to lunch that far out.

We did have dinner there Monday night at the bar - grat orechette special with lemon, butter, sausage and greens..

-j

#28 Rian

Rian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:57 PM

Dolci
Crostata di Ricotta

That sounds fantastic. I'm jealous.

#29 spaetzle

spaetzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

I love the orechiette special. I love it so much it sometimes interferes with me trying something new... Dinner at the bar is great. The bartenders are so sweet and they know their stuff.
Taking a break.

#30 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

How accessible is the bar for walk in diners, say midweek?
Elect-a-lujah