121 replies to this topic

#31 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:19 PM

How accessible is the bar for walk in diners, say midweek?

Hit or miss. The place is pretty consistently crowded no matter the night, but I've been able to snag a bar stool on more than one occassion. It's worth trying.

#32 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

In my experience, it almost always a zoo.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#33 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

this past Monday night, pouring rain, we went at 9 and were quoted a 45 minute wait for a table for 2; gave the bartender, who maintains a separate list for seating at the bar; waited ~15 minutes in the cramped front near the host stand and were seated..

I never have reservations for Lupa, we usually go around 9 on thurs/fri/sat, give our names and go across the street to the bar on the corner with a table promised in 45-90 minutes.. once you get past the quoted time wait they'll often tell you to come back sooner and check-in..

#34 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

If you like to eat early[before 6;30],there's usually no problem snagging a stool or two,,and it's a lot less crowded.
Stung by Nettles

#35 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:59 AM

Late afternoon lunch:

Posted Image

Tagliatelle with turkey rag├╣ and radicchio. I didn't want to wait 15-20 minutes for the dried pasta primi so took the special instead.

Posted Image

Pork shoulder with a rose petal glaze, cucumber salad.

Posted Image

Spiced dates with mascarpone cheese.

If I had a quibble, it would be that there could have been just a smidgen more mascarpone as this was a bit sweet.

Overall, not bad. I need to come by more often.

#36 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

A late lunch at the bar over the holidays was very pleasant. The testa was better than I'd had before - not mushy - and generously served. Pennette were sauced with trippa a la Romana. Wishing to avoid alcohol, I took the bar-tender's recommendation of chinotto, a soft drink made with some kind of citrus fruit and herbs. Perfect for my palate: a bit like coca-cola if it had been invented by a Campari fan.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#37 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:34 PM

A late lunch at the bar over the holidays was very pleasant. The testa was better than I'd had before - not mushy - and generously served. Pennette were sauced with trippa a la Romana. Wishing to avoid alcohol, I took the bar-tender's recommendation of chinotto, a soft drink made with some kind of citrus fruit and herbs. Perfect for my palate: a bit like coca-cola if it had been invented by a Campari fan.

Chinotto is actually the name of the citrus fruit. I would guess that Lupa would have the little San Pellegrino bottles of Chinotto. I love this "non-alcoholic amaro" but they are hard to find here in the NorthWoods.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#38 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

We also had a nice leisurely lunch here over the holidays, and it was really top notch. Scotto-ditto, braised pork, and hanger steak were all very well prepared and flavorful. Sides were also very good: brussel sprouts with pecorino and olive oil and a large baked gnoccho. The wine list is a lot of fun as well.

#39 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

Thanks, SL: yes, it was the San Pellegrino.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#40 spaetzle

spaetzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

We also had a nice leisurely lunch here over the holidays, and it was really top notch. Scotto-ditto, braised pork, and hanger steak were all very well prepared and flavorful. Sides were also very good: brussel sprouts with pecorino and olive oil and a large baked gnoccho. The wine list is a lot of fun as well.

I love the brussel sprouts - they are absolutely amazing.

If anyone likes sardines, I highly recommend the sardine small plate.
Taking a break.

#41 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

One of the better,albeit simple,meals that I've had in a while at Lupa last week.Puntarelle with anchovy dressing,one of my late winter faves+ spaghetti with ramps,one of my early spring faves.An interesting white wine by the quartino from Paolo Scavino;lotsa minerals and funk,and I liked it.
Stung by Nettles

#42 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:56 AM

One of the better,albeit simple,meals that I've had in a while at Lupa last week.Puntarelle with anchovy dressing,one of my late winter faves+ spaghetti with ramps,one of my early spring faves.An interesting white wine by the quartino from Paolo Scavino;lotsa minerals and funk,and I liked it.

Ramps are in??

#43 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

Has anyone else found the newish hostess to be one of the most useless and bitchy people on earth??

#44 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

Ramps are in??

Had a dish of stir fried pork with ramps and chiles at Chinatown Brasserie yesterday. First I've seen of 'em this season.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#45 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

There was a ramp touch to the lamb dish at Tocqueville. Isn't the answer that these aren't local ramps? Where from, though, I dunno.
Elect-a-lujah