121 replies to this topic

#91 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,217 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

In an imaginary world where you can waltz into Babbo at 8pm on a weekend that might be a valid argument.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#92 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

In an imaginary world where you can waltz into Babbo at 8pm on a weekend that might be a valid argument.

but you can't do that at Lupa either.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#93 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

That works because you can just go directly up to the bar and take the first seat that opens up.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#94 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,217 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Posted Image

I guess it never happened.

#95 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,217 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

That works because you can just go directly up to the bar and take the first seat that opens up.

Sixty to ninety minutes wait. 45 minutes at Minetta even after being recognized.

I'm really happy with all the help not eating at Lupa though. Posted Image

#96 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,878 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Times have changed. Friday and Saturday may be more difficult, but 8pm tables at Lupa are easy to pick up on Open Table on any other night.

ETA: And I am talking day of, or a couple of days out.

#97 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

Times have changed. Friday and Saturday may be more difficult, but 8pm tables at Lupa are easy to pick up on Open Table on any other night.

ETA: And I am talking day of, or a couple of days out.

ah that's interesting...
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#98 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,878 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

Mm, used to be really hard to do that.

#99 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

Not the greatest of pix -- I really wanted a table with access to natural light but such was not to be...

15074879961_a3d2aa8b46_z.jpg

fried artichokes with chiles and mint

15074879811_4db82785d7_z.jpg

potato gnocchi with sausage and fennel

15077546262_59b86e0bc1_z.jpg

spaghetti carbonara

B pronounced this "excellent"

15074879371_a0cf18d9a4_z.jpg

heritage pork shoulder with plums and treviso

I am normally not a fan of secondi in Italian restaurants, but this was pretty good. The pork was meltingly tender.

15074879191_d22ff0cd50_z.jpg

roasted trout, with market beans, chives and anchovy

we decided to skip dessert and have it at home instead.

#100 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

Popped in last night just as a deuce was departing the bar, so Sig Eater and I snatched up the pair of seats - this was like 8 PM, on a Friday!

You know what? At least as good as it ever was.  The affetatti piccolo is always a nice starter for 2, with plenty of salumi and that fabulous warm head cheese.  Not a skimpy platter at all for $20.

Followed that with an excellent baccala salad.

Caccio e pepe for the wife, and carbonara for me. $15 and $16 respectively - kind of a bargain in this day and age, and we felt the portions might've gotten a smidge bigger, on both the salad and pasta.

A couple of glasses of wine and we were out of their for under $100, before tip...kinda nice after boozing it up.

#101 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,173 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

Had lunch here yesterday..I am going to guess and say, I haven't been here in 10 years.. One thing I didn't remember was, how stuffy it was.. It was like overly formal and annoying.. We arrived to an empty restaurant around 12:30. Maybe 5 tables, they sat us right next to someone... We made a rezi, even that process was annoying.. Girl on the phone was again, overly formal, awkward and uncomfortable.. We arrive, it's empty, she keeps us at the hostess stand, i am holding a baby.  I had specifically said, we are two with a baby and need a highchair.. i had called 30 minutes early, we stood in the door way for 5 minutes holding a two year old, it seemed like 20..   

Some how, they managed to recreate the feeling of Cafe Boulud on the UES.  And that is not a good thing.  I don't know, it feels soulless.. Compared to Carbone across the street which is cool and welcoming and so warm, this place has a bread stick up it's ....   Funny as the two people sitting next to us, who were perhaps the two waspiest people I have seen since being at Cafe Boulud, were regulars. They sat silently scraping their plates, until the waiter came over.. They spoke about the old staff, they said they were like one of the very few regulars who use to come.. The waiter even said, we have very few regulars, he attributed it to young kids going somewhere else.. I started to feel bad for the place..  A place without regulars, that's not a good sign is it?

Service was not the greatest.. we waited for like 10 minutes with our  food in front of us before the wine arrived..  The appetizer was a salt cured and then citrus cured sardine resting a top a romesco sauce.. It reminded me of something at Casa Mono but, it would have been better..   

We moved on to pasta.. These were fantastic actually.. The one time I came here, i remember I got the tripe and I got the carbonara.  I remember having read the cookbook which had the recipe for the guanciale.. In the recipe, it is very thyme heavy and their guanciale at the time was very thyme heavy.. They seemed to have changed the recipe.. It was delicious.. In fact, it is one of the better ones I have had.. I really enjoyed the fact that it was not overly herbacious.. 

Pajata Finta.. With that awesome guanciale and tripe and they said sweetbreads but, i didn't see any.. What brought it over the top was the ricotta.. I really enjoyed this dish as did Miss A.. It was a beautiful plate of pasta.. Everything I want.. Even Miss A was so shocked about how much she enjoyed the tripe aspect as well..  

Hiding under the pasta was a mound of cold ricotta.. Sneaky and delicous.. Brought the dish together. And was a nice touch for MIss A who eats pasta with her family with a bowl of ricotta passed around. 

33418731275_782aaca94b_z.jpg

Cappelloni with lobster and green chile?  I tasted no green chile and thought the lobster could have been crab.. We both did.. it was sweeter than maine lobster and the texture was off.. i still think it may have been crab.. but, all that aside, the pasta shape was freaking gorgeous.. the sauce was light and balanced.. but, the shape, it was expertly made and held the sauce so well.. it was a thing of beauty.. 

32604644403_9530fbe1af_z.jpg

we ended with a walnut and escarole salad with what we felt was cheese from one of our cheese suppliers but, the waiter went from not knowing where the cheese was from to just saying "Tuscany" and not checking.. But, it was a great way to end... For dessert, we had a beautiful dish.. it was a goat cheese cake that was encased in a panna cotta... loved the idea and will have to steal it one day..

All in all, beautiful pasta... Spotty service and an uptight room..  Most people from what I noticed, were getting a bowl of pasta and leaving.  I don't know what it is.. Whether they are so corporate, or the management wants it to be a stuffy place, or what it is.. But, it just not a warm and fun spot..   

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#102 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

Great report. At least Casa Mono is still atmospheric and good. Too bad Anthony Sasso moved to La Sirena, though.

#103 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,878 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

2012:

Arriving on time, my party was sent to the bar to wait -- about thirty-five minutes -- for preceding diners to give up the table.  Perhaps this is standard practice at Lupa, as it always has been at Mesa Grill, because certainly nobody on the staff seemed at all concerned or embarrassed.  Since the bar fills with diners too, this means standing in a narrow gangway, impeding servers. 

Also, the bar-tender seemed astonished when I asked to see the by-the-bottle wine-list rather than the wines by the glass.  He could surely see we were a party of four.

#104 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,173 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

Oh one more thing, they didn't serve us an amuse, however the tables around us got one. It was a crostini and I didn't even bring it to their attention
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#105 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

Nice report.

Nothing like the old days, when Jason D. was at the front of the house.

Kinda like they've taken the soul away, even though they can still cook. I almost felt a little that way at Casa Mono recently.