#2641 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

Back from 4 days of absolute joy in New Orleans. Music highlights were:

Leslie Odom Jr singing several jazz standards plus a few from Broadway. He is a real charmer, very engaging and the man can sing.

Quiana Lynell with Jamison Ross on drums. Her rendition of "Be My Husband" may have been worth the day's price of admission.

Trumpet Mafia- Basically a trumpet super group led by Ashlin Parker. Maurice Brown stole the show. Weedie Bramah on percussion was a great addition.

Bonnie Raitt- Still very soulful. Very sorry to hear she just cancelled the remainder of her tour due to a health issue.

Chocolate Milk- Solid old school R&B. I'm sure you all know the song "Actions Speak Louder than Words"

Nigel Hall- keyboard player from Lettuce now with his own band. Smooth as silk Soul and R&B, with Jamison Ross again on drums.

Lil Nathan and the Zydeco Big Timers- Very unique. R&B/Hip Hop with Zydeco instruments.

David Byrne- Highly choreographed production. Most excellent. Good mix of new material and Talking Heads songs.

Last  but not least, the New Orleans Klezmer All-Stars with their always crowd pleasing songs Here Come the Seltzer Men and Mozeltov Cocktail

And at night:

Vernon Reid with George Porter Jr and Johnny Vidacovich- 3 masters just jamming for close to 3 hours. Very special.

Foundation of Funk - George Porter Jr, and Zigaboo Modeliste from the Meters with Anders Osborne on guitar and Widepread Panic's JoJo Herman on keys. Played almost all Meters songs. Porter and Zigaboo still make a super strong rhythm section. Osborne had his usual terrific solos.

And the most fun of all was a late night set headed up by Doug Wimbish. He had multiple musicians come in and out over a three hour show of rock, jazz, R&B and Soul jams. Best moment was when Wimbish saw ex-PFunk guitarist Eric McFadden in the crowd. The band busted out Flashlight and McFadden came up for the end and just shredded.

Too bad the food and drink sucks in New Orleans or it would have been a really great trip. :cool:

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2642 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:22 AM

demilich with blood incantation and artificial brain.

#2643 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

If you haven't picked up your Anders Osborne tix yet it is almost sold out at City Winery: https://citywinery.c...ets/id/2761313/

Ambrose Bierce

#2644 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:12 AM

dodheimsgard, bolzer, and imperial triumphant. bolzer were great, just like last time, but the other two bands were as bad as anything Ive seen in a long time.

#2645 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,843 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

I don't usually write about the shows I go to just about daily.  But yesterday evening's performance by ICE of music by Anna Thorvaldsdottir and the theretofore-unknown-to-me Seth Cluette was really something special.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2646 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,853 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:37 AM

Is this the thread to list gigs I turn down? I didn't see Flo-Rida a couple of weeks back, nor Beck around the same time, and I'm not seeing The Killers in early June.

#2647 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,182 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:31 AM

Is this the thread to list gigs I turn down? I didn't see Flo-Rida a couple of weeks back, nor Beck around the same time, and I'm not seeing The Killers in early June.

The Killers have energy.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2648 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,853 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

They are one up on me.

#2649 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

Tonight, Alejandro's final show of a spring residency at Bowery Electric (amongst other joints).  Cait O'Riordan (who now lives in the E. Village and is in a new band), Ivan Julian, Tommy Stinson, Richard Barone amongst other luminaries.

#2650 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

Tonight, Alejandro's final show of a spring residency at Bowery Electric (amongst other joints).  Cait O'Riordan (who now lives in the E. Village and is in a new band), Ivan Julian, Tommy Stinson, Richard Barone amongst other luminaries.

Ha, seeing AE Friday night in CT.

Ambrose Bierce

#2651 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

That should be a fun show - he's good  solo.

He'll be back in August, doing a show with just Joe Ely and himself.  City Winery.

#2652 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,853 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:39 AM

I caved tonight and saw Train (first half anyway) which I had been planning to miss. Monahan has iron lungs, doesn't he? Their own songs were fun, but the Led Zep covers, I don't know, why? Is it a tribute to cover bands?

#2653 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,853 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:41 AM

I did see the original Bjorn Again in Sydney, okay?

#2654 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

When son was into both punk and photography.     Souixie and the Banchies, Beacon Theater, 1985.

27785718537_78afdcb7f9_c.jpg

Funny story.   He was at school in Boston and needed parental permission to go to NY.     Three hours after I knew he had left Boston, I received a stumbling phone call from the school asking if he had my consent to go.    Well, yes...

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#2655 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,853 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:30 PM

Oh Siouxsie brings back some memories.