1495 replies to this topic

#1216 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,990 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

You sound like you're worried that you'll live long enough to go back to Italy!

I should be worried about things like that!  Steve R. should be even more worried!  Rich should be terrified!

But you?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1217 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,990 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

I mean, you don't want to fall into the "while you're at Barclays Center, be sure not to miss Coney Island" trap.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1218 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,076 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:29 PM

We've done day trips from Rome (Pompeii, Ostia, Orvieto, etc.) but once you start cutting a week-long trip into two major destinations like rome and Florence, I don't know if you get the full value from either one. Another thing to take into account is that you're going when both cities will most likely be zoos - we generally travel in the off-season, and it's a  little less of a pain in the ass.

All I can say is that if you want to do major museums like the Uffizi or the Vatican, go early in the day. Be first on line. Or go with a tour that will get you in bypassing the lines.

We used this to great advantage for the one guided tour we did of the Colosseum, which we didn't go into until our 6th or 7th trip to Rome. One day I planning on going to the top of the Empire State Bldg. too.

#1219 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:12 PM

All I can say is that if you want to do major museums like the Uffizi or the Vatican, go early in the day. Be first on line. Or go with a tour that will get you in bypassing the lines.

Or bite the bullet and decide on a day when you'll visit and order timed tickets online.  

Sure, it's not like strolling in at opening in the good old days, but these aren't the good old days.     Calculate the value of your time while during this visit and how you'd rather spend it than standing in line.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#1220 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:55 AM

I meant I'd rather visit a few things in Florence and go back and explore in more depth on a future trip! Definitely not worried about having time to go back at some point in the future :P Or maybe just impatience. Goodness knows how long it will be until I can take another real vacation, though.

My last three real vacations have all been to Paris, and I still haven't been to Versailles yet. I should do that at some point.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#1221 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,206 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:45 PM

I think I have been to Florence 4 or 5 times.. One time I spent three weeks there and still never made it to the Duomo.  But, if you don't get a tripe sandwich at the leather market, i would say that's a sin.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#1222 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

I think I have been to Florence 4 or 5 times.. One time I spent three weeks there and still never made it to the Duomo.  But, if you don't get a tripe sandwich at the leather market, i would say that's a sin.  

Amen, brother.   Everyone has his own Florence or Rome or Paris.   How sad to get home and realize that you've visited someone else's city, not yours.  :mellow:

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#1223 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:31 PM

988027_image.jpg

Two years ago, at the market.  Nerbone was closed but this guy was just down the way.

This space available… contact owner.

#1224 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

Shit, thanks for the heads up!  Looks like Croatia it is! 

let me know if you want any recs for the coast and/or Istria

Since Daniel is busy and he's also a lad a tad to shy to ask, he's asked me to ask on his behalf.

He may put Le Calandre on his calendar (because Chambo said he should) and then head to Trieste to explore the triangle that is Istria.

He already has the following scribbles in his back pocket ... the scribe was a Slav ...

E2F3BEFD-D9CC-4C6F-933B-EF6C93AAC472_zps

... but he's wondering whether it's worth worrying about wine while he's there.

Should he visit Radikon, Gravner, Movia, etc. He's also considering calling on Cotar and Clai. 

Have you been to these or others worth mentioning ?

What would you say to him ? He's open to any and all suggestions on any and all fronts ? 

Would he want to go up to Udine for a few days ? or should he just split south for Split ?

#1225 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,364 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

Chambo I'll be in Udine in two weeksweeks for work! Just ask around for Brunate.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#1226 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

Heading to Paris for two weeks after a severe digestive upset.    Cured myself with self-imposed proscription of coffee, fat and alcohol.    Feel fine after two weeks of bananas, brown rice, yogurt and steamed veggies.   Dr has given me the all clear to go and do, so will see how long pain memory keeps me on the straight and narrow.    Pastries are not a problem, I can live without butter and have probably already surrounded my lifetime allotment of cheese and foie gras, but I will seriously miss rillettes and headcheese with cornichons as well as rich braises of cheeky kinds of meat.    At most, will test the concept of monastic moderation, including one glass of wine per evening meal.  :mellow:   Cheers!

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#1227 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,990 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

Oy.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1228 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

Just ask around for Brunate.

I gotta admit, Bonner, I don't really know what you're talking about.

Please elaborate.

I do know a Brunate ... but that's a vineyard friend of mine and the Brunate that I know is in La Morra. That's Piedmont.

I was there in Piedmont recently in fact ... like in the last few months. I went just to re-confirm that balex was wildly off-base re Il Centro vs La Ciau (and he was ... by a mile ! ... and I got plenty of evidence to prove it if push came to shove). And I've been to the colorful Sol Lewitt cappella della brunate multiple times and I know Roberto Voerzio's Brunate bottlings, too. So I don't really know who I should be asking for, Bonner ! (@Big Bad Bobby Brown - No, I have never had a 1990s Voerzio's Brunate at La Ciau ... I had his La Serra instead. And yes, Bobbie, while you were whining and moaning in pain about your disastrous Xmas holiday dinner a few months ago, Chambo was "in the zone" (wondering where the hell you were ! ) and zoning out on white truffles and wining and dining in ecstasy. Listen Bobbie, we can still be friends but get your effing life together, Brown !)

And yes, taion, of course I was in Florence on that trip too.

I thought I made that eminently clear here (and yes, Bonner, I went to Alter. Twice ... and no, Bonner, their duck is NOT cooked sous-vide. I know this because I asked the chef. It is marinated for multiple days and hence the texture. In fact, the preparation of the duck at Chevalier in NYC is also a multi-day marinade. In fact, I confirmed this not once, not twice, but three times. Why ? Because I was expecting them to tell me it was cooked sous-vide. Don't assume things, Bonner, you know what happens ... )

And no, taion, that trip was NOT limited to Piedmont villages and Florence. It included other major places such as ...

Milan and Turin and Cremona and Canneto Sull'oglio and Mantua and Verona and Vicenza (including la Rotonda and Valmarana) and Sarmeola di Rubano (including IL and LE ! ) and Padua and Fanzolo (for Emo, although it was exceptionally closed that day, bastards !) and Maser (for the Barbaro, amazing !) and Asolo (lunch at Due Mori and up to La Rocca) and Possagno (for the Tempio and Museo, awesome !) and Bassano (for the bridge and the Nardini Rosso apertivo, acceptable) and Venice and Fratta Polesine (for the villa) and Ferrara (for a visit with the Este, chow down on a 500-year-old recipe of Salama da Sugo and see a tremendously, eye-opening De Chirico retrospective, fab ! ) and Bologna (to stock up on salumi) and you think I'm joking, don't you ?

I ain't !

Note that Fanzolo ... Bassano makes a great day from Padua or Venice ... assuming you're into Palladio and Canova.

You can eat well in Florence nowadays ... if you know what you're doing.

You can even get a pretty decent, next-gen cappuccino too ... assuming my fave barista is in da casa ... which he usually is.

In recent years, I go to Florence every year ... right after the New Year ... to recharge my battery and re-energize myself via the Renaissance to aid me in my continuing quest to conquer the world AND for the Italian winter sales that start right before the French winter sales. You can stock up on the finest Italian cashmere on the cheap. People don't realize that you can save a fortune doing this. Ka-ching ! And taken to extreme, it can pay for your entire trip ! Don't forget that Chambo is Mr Buy Low Sell High. 

Now can we all please get back to helping out my good friend Daniel with his interest in getting some valuable feedback re Croatia, Slovenia and what's cooking across that Italian border ... thank you.

P.S. @RP - yes, I wandering around that ghetto. The two islands north of it towards Chiesa Madonna dell'Orto are delightfully peaceful. go.

P.P.S. @BBBB - yes, I had a mediocre lunch at Fiaschetteria Toscana, although I did drink pretty well ... in true Mr Buy Low Sell High fashion

P.P.P.S. @Bonner - okay, I admit it, I did try to go and have a cocktail at Cipriani's on Guidecca

P.P.P.P.S. @Bonner - but they were closed ! so my reputation is fully intact ! popped into the Generator and kept on walking ...

P.P.P.P.P.S @Bonner - had my cocktail on the roof of the Stucky at sunset. that I can highly recommend

P.P.P.P.P.P.S. @nux - yes, it was still 1 euro ... but I didn't dare try it ... I got a reputation to maintain, you know ...

9A25743E-E39A-4D25-82C3-7369088E70D4_zps

79DEDCDC-1A01-4942-BEEE-E9DBFB4EECB6_zps

#1229 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,364 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:59 PM

So chambo do you have a hotel rec in Udine for me or what

Am legit shocked that duck breast wasn't sousvide. Somehow makes it more offensive tbh.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#1230 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:08 AM

Next stop: St Jean Cap Ferrat.

From the Bastard ? You serious ? How you getting there ? Driving ?

Yes, made a pit stop in Castelnau Le Lez. Thought it would be nice to hang poolside on a vineyard for a day and drink Rose from the vines a few meters from the pool. 👌 I could definitely get into the Chambo lifestyle.

mitchells, please be careful talking about things of which you know virtually nothing ... ie The Chambo Lifestyle.

And all that driving and pit stops and shit, mitchells. Fuck that ! I just made a few calls for you. New plans !

Go to the Montpelier airport immediately !

Mention my name upon arrival. They are going to whisk you and the family to the private helipad. (yes you read that right, mitchells, the helipad). My copter and pilot should be there by now. He's going to give you a scenic tour of the French Med coastline. He's been instructed to give you a breath-taking view of le port de Marseille et les Calanques de Cassis. The wife is gonna love it, mitchells ! When nearing Nice, I got an even bigger surprise for you ! Please don't panic, but when the pilot tells the family to jump, just do WTF he says and JUMP ! The family will parachute out in unison screaming for joy ... attached drones will guide you down without a hitch, so no worries dude ... and "assuming" all goes as plannned you'll land into my convertible, stretch Rolls. My driver will whisk you all directly to the home of Big Bad Bobby Brown where he'll drone on for hours about the sous-vide situation in La Cote d'Azur. Then if you want to take my rig for a spin, be my guest.

Here's a path popular with newlyweds, just search the post for "Ferrat".

Enjoy and tell us how it goes. And before you ask, I'm sorry but Chambo's Concierge and Chaperone services are reserved for honeymooners.