1172 replies to this topic

#46 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:00 PM

I am really happy about Glavine being OK. If he was out for the season it would have given them serious problems in the early rounds of the playoffs.

Shawn Green? Minaya has been in love with him for a long time but I don't know how much he has left even though 34 isn't old for a modern athelete. The story in today's Times said his BA has been in stready decline every month since the season started.

A two-time All-Star and a capable defensive player, Green is hitting .283 with 11 home runs and 51 runs batted in this season, but he is in the middle of a prolonged slump that mirrors his career decline. Since July 20, Green is batting .194, and his average has decreased rapidly since he hit .374 in May. He batted .265 in June, .250 in July and .208 in August as the Diamondbacks pushed him into more of a platoon role to give more playing time to the rookie Carlos Quentin.

Then again the breezes off Flushing bay can sometimes have a miraculous effect. Just ask Jose Valentin.

At any rate he's certainly an improvement over Tucker or Ledee. And Milledge is finding out major league pitching is a whole lot tougher than hitting in AAA ball.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#47 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

At this point, Milledge is shaping up as good trade bait for a top starter for next year. Hopefully, Green - and Floyd - will hold us in the outfield for another season.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#48 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:09 AM

At this point, Milledge is shaping up as good trade bait for a top starter for next year. Hopefully, Green - and Floyd - will hold us in the outfield for another season.

The problem is that Milledge's trade value has actually declined as he's spent more time with the big club. He sorely lacks plate discipline and has demonstrated some troubling maturity issues. Of course he could turn that around pretty quickly. He's a young player and has plenty of potential. I have to say, however, that my opinion of him isn't as high as it was at the end of spring training.

A work in progress.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#49 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:08 AM

We had the great good fortune to be at last night's game, in seats a few rows behind home plate (and slightly to the right of Bill Clinton; that's location, not politics :huh: ). That was some game! I dared not take a nap, as I sometimes can.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#50 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:03 AM

We had the great good fortune to be at last night's game, in seats a few rows behind home plate (and slightly to the right of Bill Clinton; that's location, not politics :P ). That was some game! I dared not take a nap, as I sometimes can.

The Prez did so dare, however.
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#51 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:45 PM

A work in progress.

Definitely a work in progress. He's just 21. And he said all the right things about Green coming over. Everything else being equal, I'd prefer that we keep him.

Is Trachsel the scariest 13 game winner, or what?

#52 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

[Is Trachsel the scariest 13 game winner, or what?

You betcha. It's like there are two Trachsels and you never know which one you're going to get. Last night was interesting - he had an 8 run lead and Keith Hernandez always talks about pitching differently with a big lead. Not nibbling but just throwing strikes. Perhaps Steve heard him because he certainly threw his share of gopher balls. It looked like batting practice. Brrr.

And speaking of Hernandez, I've got to say that the Mets announcing team is the best it's been in years. I've always liked Cohen and Hernandez has come on strong with more mike time. What has been a complete and pleasant surprise is Darling. He was a bit tenative at the start of the year but he's hit his stride now. Both Hernandez and Darling provide wonderful analysis and insights.

And a tip of the cap to Howie Rose too. When Cohen was sidelined for 3 or 4 weeks earlier this year he did an outstanding job moving over from radio to TV. His rapport with Hernandez and Darling is perfect. It sounded like three old friends sitting around talking about the game. Friends that had about 60 or 70 years of baseball expertise between them.

Our long national nightmare, the reign of Fran Healey, is over.

#53 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:00 PM

And speaking of Hernandez, I've got to say that the Mets announcing team is the best it's been in years.

This is very noticeable. It's really been a pleasure this year. Even the Yankee fans around the gym are complimetary of the Mets' broadcast team, especially in explicating pitching. We old timers still miss Kiner and Murphy, though, so it's nice when Ralph sits in for a little while.

Delgado is juiced. And tonight we get a look at Bannister.

#54 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

Before this year my favorite Mets announcing team was the mid 80s crew of McCarver, Kiner, and and the much underrated Steve Zabriskie. They seemed to genuinely enjoy each other's company and McCarver's gentle questioning of Kiner was a revelation. Before McCarver's arrival Ralph had seemed bored. McCarver opened Kiner up and really brought out the best in him.

Bob Murphy was a wonderful radio man, a pro's pro. I still remember the time about 10 years ago when he was inducted into the broadcaster's wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame. They sent a limosine to drive him to Cooperstown and the newspaper ran a picture of him and his wife getting in. Murph, a broadcaster for 40 or 50 years, is smiling like an excited 12 year old. He never lost his enthusiasm.

His home run calls were second to none and even today whenever I see a deep drive to the outfield I sometimes overlay Murph's call with the one I hear on TV.

#55 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:17 AM

Tonight's game was the worst I've been to all year. Really dispiriting. The crowd was so quiet the scoreboard theatrics didn't even try to arouse it. One hit. And one run in the last two games. Oy vey.

#56 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

A belated post to note that I was there Thursday and saw my first ever inside the parker. Jose is simply incredible. (For simplicity, Gabe and I refer to Valentin as Josb, pronounced Hose B.) Did you hear Willie on the radio yesterday? He says Jose probably slides head first to stop himself since he's running too fast to stop any other way. He says Jerry Manuel tells Jose he's a bad boy. I love it. However, being a Met fan, I always look for the dark side. What if we play the Twins and they throw a bunch of rookie lefties at us? It will be interesting to see how we do against the resurgent Marlins next week.

#57 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:48 PM

13 seconds to round the bases. How great is it going to be to have this guy around for ten years?

Lefties are going to be a problem. The Astros are especially scary in that regard.

#58 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:48 PM

duplicate post

#59 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:27 AM

Lefties are going to be a problem. The Astros are especially scary in that regard.

I don't think we're going to have to worry about the Astros in the post-season.

#60 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:43 AM

THE METS CLINCH THE DIVISION!
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.