#1126 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:16 PM

Seaver trade 40th anniversary

I'm reading it right now.  There's also a matching article in the Daily News and a link to another article (written on the 30th anniversary)   by long time baseball writer Bill Madden.  Lots of inside information there.

M. Donald Grant was a bigger asshole by far than either of the Dolans.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#1127 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Just finished the Post article.  It was excellent.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#1128 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:01 AM

M. Donald Grant was a bigger asshole by far than either of the Dolans.

I hope to God that's hyperbole.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#1129 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

Looked at the standings - the Mets are closer to the division lead than the 2nd wild card spot. This is certainly a strange year.

#1130 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:54 PM

At Citi Field I just had the Fuku spicy chicken sandwich. Crispy and spicy but not a gutbomb. A little overpriced at 12.50 but not a total ripoff. Just what I wanted.

#1131 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Not a good sign when attending Citifield and the best thing is the food, not the game. Still think they have a better chance of making the playoffs than the Yankees, but fear it will not be a fun summer in the Bronx or Queens.

#1132 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

Here's a good way to sum up the Mets' season in a nutshell (pardon the pun). RE: last night's loss, via a walk-off walk, here's what happened in the 8th:

Robles had numbness in fingers pitching the ninth. In the eighth he landed awkwardly and pinched his genitals, prompting Ray Ramirez visit.

#1133 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

They will be fine as soon as they get a Major League manager.

#1134 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

You think a major league manager would have stopped Harvey's multiple injuries, Syndegaard's major injury, Cespedes' recurrent hamstring problems, Walker's back injury, Wright's (I don't ever want to retire) back injury, and on and on.

I think they need to look at management/conditioning/off-season rituals from the top on down.

#1135 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

But a major league manager would have taken Harvey out of the 5th Game of the World Series. Could you imagine Torre, Madden or Sciosia allowing that to occur?

His pitching choices are terrible. He allows players to dictate what they want to do in too many game decision moments. They should never have fired Willie Randolph. 

#1136 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:48 PM

They should never have fired Casey.

#1137 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

But a major league manager would have taken Harvey out of the 5th Game of the World Series. Could you imagine Torre, Madden or Sciosia allowing that to occur?

You might want to take Maddon off that list.  In the World Series list.he used Chapman for needless innings and then couldn't use him the following night. Even good managers sometimes make mistakes.

Collins isn't a great in-game manager but he keeps his  teams motivated and they play hard for him, even when a season gets out of hand.

#1138 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Maddon did over-use Chapman, but he had no choice. They didn't have much of a bullpen. At least he didn't leave his starter on the mound too long -and after he made the decision to remove him.

I don't agree the team plays hard for Collins. The Mets do not respect him as they should (just ask Cepedes). The individual who receives the most respect in that clubhouse is Granderson, not Collins.

#1139 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

So the Mets are attempting to sabotage their 2018 season a year early. Whoever came up with yesterday's silly idea must be a fan of the Washington Nationals.

Starting Synd for 1 inning an then bringing in Harvey after that is pure insanity. Not only do you risk Synd re-injuring himself but you put another recovering pitcher in a situation that he has never experienced. 

There was no need to have Synd pitch other then to give in to his inflated ago. Pitching one inning is a risky gimmick that proves nothing and risks everything. Taking Harvey out of his normal pre-game warm-up routine is worse than that. Here's a guy who is struggling to find continuity and management puts him into a position to fail and confuse - and he was able to accomplish that for them in spades.

Next year when the Mets (hopefully) hire a real major league manager, these bush-league tactics will cease.

#1140 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

In 1980, three pitchers pitched 20 or more complete games.  Nine pitched 13 or more complete games.

None of this middle reliever, late middle reliever, early closer, etc nonsense. Just go out and pitch.  (And they did it for a lot less money,, too)

The leader in 2016 pitched three complete games.  Gimme a break...

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.