1172 replies to this topic

#1141 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,109 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

Warren Spahn pitched 382 complete games.  He was tossing complete games in his 40s.  Times have changed.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#1142 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:09 AM

Warren Spahn pitched 382 complete games.  He was tossing complete games in his 40s.  Times have changed.

i didn't go back into the 1960s, but I suspect more than 19 pitchers pitched 13 or more complete games.

Satchel Paige, IIRC, pitched two and three complete games per week

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#1143 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:51 AM

It's a coincidence that Mets rhymes with Jets surely.

#1144 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,744 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

Actually it does relate to the Mets. The Jets were originally named the Titans when they played at the Polo Grounds. When Shea Stadium was built they moved there with the Mets.

One of the characteristics of Shea (an also with Citi Field) was the low flying Jets landing at LaGuardia Airport, which is less than two miles away - hence the team was renamed the Jets.

#1145 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:39 AM

It looks like Todd Frazier is staying in NY, except in Queens. The Mets just signed him to a 2 year deal at $17 million. I wonder if that Mets fan that gave him a thumbs down last year (after he hit a homer) will give him a thumbs up now :)

http://www.nydailyne...em_newsl_bn_ban

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#1146 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:14 AM

Actually it does relate to the Mets. The Jets were originally named the Titans when they played at the Polo Grounds. When Shea Stadium was built they moved there with the Mets.

One of the characteristics of Shea (an also with Citi Field) was the low flying Jets landing at LaGuardia Airport, which is less than two miles away - hence the team was renamed the Jets.

Wow.  Just saw this.

Just to make sure that the immigrant Wilfrid gets it:  the Jets were the Titans when they played in the same stadium as the baseball Giants.

They changed their name to the Jets when they moved to the same stadium as the baseball Jets.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1147 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

What about the Nets?

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#1148 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:09 AM

Same thing, but a little bit farther away.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1149 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

It just seemed right to bump this thread up so that Lex doesn't have to post on the Yankees thread.

This space available… contact owner.

#1150 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

RIP Rusty Staub. (See the Goodbye entry started by paryzer)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#1151 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:26 PM

Steve, I was just posting about Rusty but it does amuse me that Cashman borrowed my Little Engine That Could line.

I think the Mets are going to be fine this year if they can stay healthy.  They've made a lot of changes in their staff to fix those problems.  If they can make it to the playoffs they could be tough.  Starting deGrom and Syndergaard in a short series will make them formidable.

Fingers crossed.  I've got tickets to four games and I'll probably buy some more.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#1152 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

Boy, thats one big IF!

#1153 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

Boy, thats one big IF!

They finally made some overdue changes to their medical and training staff. We'll see.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#1154 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Syndergaard and deGrom. Two starts, 2 wins.

#1155 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:03 PM

And a spiffy haircut for deGrom too!

This space available… contact owner.