3447 replies to this topic

#3436 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,517 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

I have this strange feeling I'm going to find myself there after a concert either Friday or Saturday.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3437 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,517 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:36 AM

I have a strange feeling I'm going to find myself at Portale the other night.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3438 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,062 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:31 PM

The Hi Hi Room looks exciting. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3439 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,517 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

Yeah!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3440 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

who among us does not love the hi hi room?

#3441 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:36 AM

Maybe something good can once again exist on Smith Street after all?

This space available… contact owner.

#3442 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

Maybe something good can once again exist on Smith Street after all?

These things do go in cycles, after all.

#3443 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,062 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:24 PM

went to Llama San last night.. At 915 on a Monday, it was emptying out.. by the time we left, the place was pretty much empty.. Service was strange.. Not very formal.. like there are dudes with neck tattoos delivering food, our waiter was sort of sloppy stoner, no water was refilled.. Descriptions were sort of mumbled and more just repeated than understood.. There was no follow up once food was dropped..  They were out of the beef heart and lobster, the duck sushi dish and something else that miss A heard of.. 

What we did get were two crudos, the cabbage dish, an eggplant dish and the crab and octopus rice...  The scallop crudo had a lovely sauce to it, with a tiger milk citrus sauce mixed with cream of some kind.. There may have been yuzu, it was delicious... 

The eggplant dish had grapes I want to say and some other things.  The egpplant had a nice smoke and there was some sort of crema or cream fraiche and maybe some crunch.. It was ok.. I don't love eggplant and this certainly didn't win me over.. 

Then we had a cabbage dish where I was really impressed with the preparation of the cabbage, almost took on a cauliflower like taste and consistency.  

The best dish of the evening was the crab and octopus rice.. charging 30 something dollars allowed them to put in a proper amount of crab and just about perfectly cooked octopus.. There was a lot of garlic and it sort of reminded me of the fideos from Casa Mono with a garlic aioli.  

The room was pretty, there are two sections, the front bar area and the back cool area. The people from brooklyn wearing sweatshirts and wool hats didn't get the cool room.  But it was fun, it's small... We didn't drink as I was driving so that helped keep down the already expensive 140 dollar food bill..  I am sure people will love this place.. Alicia liked it more than I did.. new flavors and combos and it was certainly refreshing and unique, it didn't transfer to as enjoyable to me but, whatever, i wasn't bored and nothing was off and the skill was apparent.. I just was like ok, i would have that ceviche again and wish I knew how to make it and it was a fun crabby rice but, yeh, it's worth going to, I am sure people will like it better and i really wish they had the duck available. 

#3444 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:16 PM

The people from brooklyn wearing sweatshirts and wool hats didn't get the cool room. 

Um, Daniel, you just described the epitome of cool in 2019. All you need is a neck tattoo.

I almost went to Llamita on Friday night, but the the immediately apparent anxiety of the waiter who greeted us at the door, the number of plants crowding the entryway, and seeing the closeness of the tables they wanted to squeeze us into combined to nearly give me a panic attack. Left and picked up a pizza at John's instead.  It was delicious.

#3445 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,517 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:20 PM

Llamita really doesn't make it.  (Llama San does.)

I'm sorry they changed Llamita from a sandwich shop.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3446 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,062 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

i went to Tony Luke's on Flatbush Ave.. Holy shit, wow, just wow... They could not have done anything more to fuck up their food... Roast pork has that salty yet flavorless quality.. I had arby's once while in Atlanta.. It was the same time I had gone to Chick Fil A.. Maybe 10 years ago or so.. But, Arby's roast beef or corned beef, is essentially just brined meat of the lowest quality..  The cheesesteak as well, i don't know how they were able to extract the  flavor from what is obviously a pre-portioned mess. Even shitty beef still tastes of grease.. . The bread, like, how they managed to find bread of this quality between Philly, NY and NJ..It literally must have taken an effort to avoid using better quality bread... 

I took a bite of each and packaged up the rest in order to give it to a homeless person.. 

#3447 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,062 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:14 PM

The Hi Hi Room looks exciting. 

We went for brunch... will have to go back for dinner 

#3448 cinghiale