Photo

Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Please log in to reply
4714 replies to this topic

#4231 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:30 PM

The only thing I cook in foil on the grill is mushrooms with herbs and olive oil to go with s grilled steak. And I only cook the mushrooms on the grill to avoid using a pan.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#4232 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

Would one expect a newly purchased tubular 500mm LED light bulb to flicker ... one such as this ?

https://www.francela...c-z-165974.html

(The prior incandescent bulbs are no longer sold here.)

#4233 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Would one expect a newly purchased tubular 500mm LED light bulb to flicker ... one such as this ?

https://www.francela...c-z-165974.html

(The prior incandescent bulbs are no longer sold here.)

is this installed on a dimmer switch?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#4234 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:53 PM

No. Nor is there more than one switch that turns it on and off.

(A friend who doesn't have 1st hand experience w LEDs mentioned that he thought both of those factors could possibly come into play and be a problem.)

The darn LED light bulb cost 50 euros (old ones cost like 10-15e) and it's in a bathroom above the mirror and the dang thing is slightly flickering.

Hyper annoying ... borderline unacceptable !  ... then again, it is the guest bathroom so it's not a total crisis :-)

#4235 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:05 PM

No. Nor is there more than one switch that turns it on and off.

(A friend who doesn't have 1st hand experience w LEDs mentioned that he thought both of those factors could possibly come into play and be a problem.)

The darn LED light bulb cost 50 euros (old ones cost like 10-15e) and it's in a bathroom above the mirror and the dang thing is slightly flickering.

Hyper annoying ... borderline unacceptable !  ... then again, it is the guest bathroom so it's not a total crisis :-)

i changed all my bulbs to LED but have only had the flickering with the dimmer switches and buying new bulbs made specifically for dimmers solved it. it's also possible that the bulb is defective

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#4236 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

Sorry, I forgot to ask the electrician who was here earlier. 

Or the simplest questions:

1. Is the bulb screwed in properly? A loose contact might cause flickering.
  2. Is the fixture wired correctly? Did the old light flicker? If so, it could be a problem with the power to the fixture.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4237 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:18 PM

Here's the real question - Does anyone have experience with today's tubular LED bulbs and do they flicker ?

And if no tubular bulb LED experience, then what's your experience with flickering (or not) LED bulbs in general ... noting that we covered the dimmer and multiple switch situation above ?

it's also possible that the bulb is defective

That's what I'm trying to determine ... but I don't really want to go back to the place and get another LED bulb just find out that that is just the way these LED bulbs still are.

This is a 500mm long tubular bulb intended for bathrooms. I have trouble believing that people put up with that flicker ... but then the internets talk about flicker ... but then I don't know if that flicker corresponds to years-ago technology or today's ...

The incandescent bulbs worked perfectly fine but they do not seem to be available anywhere anymore. No longer made. And I'm being told that this ARIC manufacturer has a monopoly on tubular 500mm LED bulbs with the central plug in France. (My old incandescent bulbs were from ARIC too.)

And yes Suzanne, I plugged it in properly (it doesn't screw in). And yes, that fixture was working perfectly fine before the bulb went out and yes I can put another incandescent bulb in that socket and it works perfectly fine (I have multiple of these lights in the joint)

#4238 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:28 PM

They all flicker. Some just flicker so fast you don't notice.

Loose connections at the lamp, switch or any connections along the way could be the issue. As could voltage drop. But if the flicker is consistent, and it sounds like it is, it is very likely that you have a bulb with a cheap LED driver. Or an LED driver designed under a difficult set of constraints that doesn't accommodate flicker well.

You also may be more sensitive to flicker than the average person so it might be bugging you more. 

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#4239 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

SLBunge!!!!!!!!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4240 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

I looked at the datasheet and noticed that the LED lamp that you selected is not dimmable. I realize you don't need dimming capability but I will say that you can use a dimmable bulb without a dimmer and the reason that you might want to is because the driver circuit for a dimmable bulb will be much better engineered because the application is quite a bit more difficult.

I looked on Amazon and see that you can buy lamps from Osram and Radium in the S14D configuration for 240V that are dimmable. Not a lot of reviews but the reviews are positive. I would think that if flicker was a big issue people would comment since negative reactions tend to drive comments.

#4241 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

Here's the real question - Does anyone have experience with today's tubular LED bulbs and do they flicker ?

And if no tubular bulb LED experience, then what's your experience with flickering (or not) LED bulbs in general ... noting that we covered the dimmer and multiple switch situation above ?

it's also possible that the bulb is defective

That's what I'm trying to determine ... but I don't really want to go back to the place and get another LED bulb just find out that that is just the way these LED bulbs still are.

This is a 500mm long tubular bulb intended for bathrooms. I have trouble believing that people put up with that flicker ... but then the internets talk about flicker ... but then I don't know if that flicker corresponds to years-ago technology or today's ...

The incandescent bulbs worked perfectly fine but they do not seem to be available anywhere anymore. No longer made. And I'm being told that this ARIC manufacturer has a monopoly on tubular 500mm LED bulbs with the central plug in France. (My old incandescent bulbs were from ARIC too.)

And yes Suzanne, I plugged it in properly (it doesn't screw in). And yes, that fixture was working perfectly fine before the bulb went out and yes I can put another incandescent bulb in that socket and it works perfectly fine (I have multiple of these lights in the joint)

i think philips also makes 500mm for the uk but it might have those double plugs near the end instead of a single center. i've had the most luck with philips LEDs so far. do you know anyone else with a similar fixture who will let you plug in your bulb to see if it flickers?

~Jack Handey

#4242 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:42 PM

i think philips also makes 500mm for the uk but it might have those double plugs near the end instead of a single center

The double plug bulbs can be found easily and there are multiple manufacturers for them. In fact, one retail place was still selling a double plug incandescent bulb for 10 euros.

But this is irrelevant to my situation.

Loose connections at the lamp, switch or any connections along the way could be the issue. As could voltage drop. 

Would you expect any of these factors to affect incandescent bulbs ?

Because just to repeat, I have multiple of these 500mm tubular incandescent bulbs / sockets and they all have worked and continue to work perfectly fine.

It's just the LED bulb that flickers. And it flickers in all sockets.

(And thanks for coming out of hibernation and offering your feedback, SLB ... is the snow starting to melt up there ? )

They all flicker. Some just flicker so fast you don't notice.

I understand that we are dealing with AC current and sine waves and all that jazz ... but obviously when I say flicker, I'm talking about human perceptible flicker. 

You also may be more sensitive to flicker than the average person so it might be bugging you more. 

It's not wildly flickering ... it's relatively subtle BUT it is definitely noticeable.

Maybe if this was some normal ceiling bulb that you don't ever look at then maybe you wouldn't care / notice.

But as I have said, they are bathroom lighting ... you sorta seem them above you and you definitely see them in the mirror ie you're effectively staring at them.

it is very likely that you have a bulb with a cheap LED driver. Or an LED driver designed under a difficult set of constraints that doesn't accommodate flicker well.

Pretty darn lame that this FIFTY EURO bulb can't afford an appropriate LED driver component.

I looked at the datasheet and noticed that the LED lamp that you selected is not dimmable. I realize you don't need dimming capability but I will say that you can use a dimmable bulb without a dimmer and the reason that you might want to is because the driver circuit for a dimmable bulb will be much better engineered because the application is quite a bit more difficult.

I looked on Amazon and see that you can buy lamps from Osram and Radium in the S14D configuration for 240V that are dimmable. Not a lot of reviews but the reviews are positive. I would think that if flicker was a big issue people would comment since negative reactions tend to drive comments.

Again, thanks. I hear ya.

The bulb I linked to is my exact form factor but not my exact specs. Per my packaging, my bulb has lower wattage. Not sure what else.

And I don't really want to buy this online and then deal with returns etc when I'm not sure exactly what I need ... but I'll do a bit more googling.

Clearly there is more to buying these 500mm LED bulbs than there used to be with the incandescants. There was nothing to consider about with the old bulbs of this form factor.

Looks like I'll be heading back to that store and asking a bunch of questions this time. This being France, chances of getting correct answers are fairly slim.

I did make sure to verify that I can return the bulb if I have any problems with it.

#4243 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

We have dimmable LED bulbs in one of our bathrooms. At lower light levels they definitely flicker and I'm the only one that notices this. My solution is always to increase the light output and then I don't notice the flicker. I think that we are still in the relative infancy of the development of the replacement format LEDs. It would be nice, for a whole host of reasons, if we were to go to DC wiring in homes but to do that is to tilt your sword at history.

As far as the loose connections: you would likely have noticed them with an incandescent. I think. I think that's why I was thinking it was sorta low probability. And with the plug style on the lamp that you showed us it is normally make or break rather than "loose".

Snow is gone.

#4244 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,234 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:24 PM

SLBunge used to come to our parties. :)

#4245 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

i need to buy some tsoureki tomorrow morning but won't have time to stop in astoria. is there a good greek bakery in manhattan?

~Jack Handey