Photo

Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Please log in to reply
4732 replies to this topic

#4681 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,198 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

You're too rich for my blood, Chambo!  Now, about those oligarch cosigners....

As for your script, the fastest way to Tinseltown's riches seems to be by being a successful standup and then having your character be the subject of a series or a film.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#4682 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,851 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:00 PM

unrelated to my previous rental-related questions and on behalf of a younger person who lives in manhattan: does anyone here know/of a good foreclosure/tenant attorney? please pm if so.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#4683 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,851 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:05 PM

in the meantime for those of you who play lawyers on tv, or have been in or adjacent to similar situations, here is the gist of her question: "I just need advice on whether I can break my lease when my building is in foreclosure".

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#4684 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:44 AM

The foreclosing entity can break the lease but I don't see why the tenant would be allowed to do so. Usually in nyc if you find your replacement you're off the hook, though.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4685 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,851 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:02 AM

my understanding is that this situation involves tenants having been locked out of their apartments.

~homer simpson

#4686 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:09 AM

Sounds complicated but anyway just the fact that someone foreclosed on a property doesn't normally allow tenants to break leases.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4687 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,357 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:20 AM

But I also don't think it allows them to lock out tenants. Broadly speak NYC law is very pro tenant.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#4688 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

There seems to be some MAJOR context missing here ... because as Bonner is saying, it is usually HIGHLY ILLEGAL for a NYC landlord to change locks on an apartment and not give new keys a legit tenant ... then again, people do illegal stuff all the time ... it probably should be reported to the police ... and it is indeed a matter for lawyers to deal with

#4689 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:34 AM

As for your script, the fastest way to Tinseltown's riches seems to be by being a successful standup and then having your character be the subject of a series or a film.

I did write the script standing up, Hollywood !

In fact, I wrote the whole thing while walking on the beach … dictating everything to everybody … that’s how I operate

You're too rich for my blood, Chambo!

And you should be ashamed of yourself, Hollywood !

Trying to create distance between us … between our hearts … between our shared love … between everything that we’ve been thru and experienced together over the years …

I tried and tried and tried but I could never sweep you off your feet to come meet sweet me et mes moutons à Menton dans la Côte d'Azur.

You’d turn bright blue and say “Not with you ! ” … how do you think THAT made me feel !

I’d beg and beg and beg …”Come to Cannes ! Come to Cannes ! or Come to Kingdom Come ! I don’t care, anywhere ! ”

And you’d sit there in silence.

I’d demand an answer and you’d stutter “Butt butt, Chambo, you’ve gone too far … you’re too far gone … you’re out of control … you’re dangerously dangling on the bloody Edge Edge”.

If Peter Paul can marry, why not us !

And then you’d just push me away saying I’m not the one for you … and then add sea salt to an open wound by weaving into your reasons that I’m not the Chosen One.

Ohhhhhh … wowwww … low blow, Hollywood !

How much more brutal can you get !

I know Everybody Hurts inside and out but I just feel sometimes that I hurt more than most … especially when a dear friend pushes you away like this. (Sniffle, Sniffle)

But what doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger … makes me strive harder … makes me want to redouble my efforts to climb to the top of the mountain.

And when I arrive there, Hollywood ... without you ... you know what I’m going to be screaming from the mountaintop …

I’m Still Standing !

You will regret your decision, Hollywood … when I’m at that fabulous Festival … basking in the glory of my story … it will be with total sadness … for you won’t be with me on my most important day … but I just got too damn much style and all of Hollywood wouldn't even know how to handle a guy Chambo ...

#4690 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,023 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

Years and years ago, Significant Eater and I lived in a building on the upper east side; the retail/ground floor tenant was a bar of ill repute.  We returned home from a mini-vacation to find our building yellow taped, with Dept. of Building signs condemning the place. The smell of smoke hung in the air.

There had been a fire in the building, a day or two before; it started in that bar of ill repute. (Candles and velvet do not a good combo make).  16 tenants were now without homes. This was a rent-stabilized building, so 16 tenants were worried. How long would we be out? Would we ever be able to return? Where were we to go? 

So we quickly formed a tenant group, chipped in, and hired an attorney.  That attorney was able to save our rights to return. That attorney was able to convince the judge to let us in, for 15 minutes each apartment, to grab as much shit as we could from our now semi-ruined apartments - our's was on the top floor, so I ran up and down 4 flights carrying giant garbage bags filled with as much stuff as possible (I was so much younger). That attorney had each tenant pay $1 a month, during the renovation of the building, in order to maintain our tenancy. That attorney basically forced the landlord/owner to move as quickly as possible to renovate the building and get us back in to our homes. No games - no trying to get rid of us by dragging out the process. Landlord had to come back to court a number of times, in order to show the judge the progress being made on the building. We were back home in under 10 months.

That attorney was William Gribben, of Himmelstein, McConnell, Gribben, et al. 

Don't listen to what anyone thinks might happen or might be the law, unless that person is an attorney well-versed in NYC landlord/tenant law. In other words, speak to an attorney well-versed in NYC landlord/tenant law.

#4691 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,198 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

Perhaps you should take a break and lie down, Chambo.

Beyond that, given your obvious wealth, you might consider self-producing.  Otherwise, be prepared to give up all rights throughout the universe, in perpetuity.

And you also have to consider the implications of the morals clause.

Then that happened.

#4692 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,198 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 01:23 AM

Chambo, in order to prepare for your effort to achieve fame, you need to get Sims4 with the Get Famous expansion package and start playing.

Then that happened.

#4693 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,851 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:18 PM

thanks! given the time of year at which this is happening, we may not have a lot of people to choose between.

for those breathlessly awaiting an update, this is where we are at:

three highly motivated rental applications. all references have checked out. this is how they stack up next to each other:

family 1: two children (one starting high school, one starting college but staying at home); short and medium commutes to work; lowest verified annual household salary (plus the 100% commission factor). 

famiy 2: a LOT of young children; two long commutes to work; earn appreciably more than family 1's current base salary.

family 3: three teenage sons in middle and high school; long commute to work; in the middle salary-wise.

so, we are weighing high(er) salaries for families 2 and 3 against the greater impact on the house from multiple small kids or three teenaged boys rampaging through it. I mention the commutes because with our winters there's the question of whether people would grow to prefer to not drive long distances every day.

i liked the first family the most in person (could be wrong but i think they'll be the easiest to deal with). we are going to go with them. as a friend pointed out, in the worst case scenario we'll be in this position again in a year: with lots of interested parties (i stopped setting up showings at the end of last week and am still getting requests). we are basically wrapping this up in less than a week from the first showing. will do a nine month lease to start to bring us back into the summer rental season going forward (or a 21 month lease if they prefer).

~homer simpson

#4694 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:43 AM

My immediate reaction was going to be to trust your instincts if you have actually met the people involved

You'll thereby learn thru real-world experience if your human antennae works well or not

I have enormous faith in mine and it is enormously important to correctly evaluate your own antennae and act accordingly ie if your antennae is easily fooled, focus more on other data

Upon a millisecond of reflection, I decided that I'm NOT a real-estate pro so let's bring in the experts.

Remember that landlord who gave you that Columbia advice, well she is as smart as a whip and a very experienced real-estate pro

Here's what she had to say ...

He could request first and last month’s rent plus security deposit. I do this when I’m not sure about income. However, i generally don’t ask for extensive financial info. I go by instinct more often than not. The only time I’ve gone to court for non payment of rent were in cases w very strong financials and lousy personal character: I.e. a famous film director and a really awful woman who was a bank branch manager on Park Avenue. We delivered her summons at the branch, which really got her attention!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 3, 2019, at 7:59 PM, Chambo wrote:

Here's some prior context re Family 1 that you did not know ... does this change your thinking at all ...

so, when we moved to our current house 3.5 years ago we turned our old house into a rental rather than sell it. our tenants are now moving out and we're in the process of vetting new tenants. calling one person's employer i encountered a form of compensation that my sheltered life as an academic has kept me from encountering before. the person works in sales for a builder and just started there two months ago. they are on a compensation system where they get paid a base salary for the first three months on a "draw" basis and earn commission above that. but at the end of that period they move to a commission-only structure. is this pretty common for sales? my concern as a small-time landlord is, of course, whether there will be a reliable, predictable income to cover rent. the process of finding new renters is no fun and i don't want to have to do it again any sooner than i have to.

(separately, i'm shocked by how many people--from employers to landlords--don't ask for any proof of authorization before disclosing employees or renters' personal information to a stranger on the phone.)

Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:53 AM
To: Chambo
Subject: Re: Landlord perspective ...

Family 1 is the obvious choice. The long commutes to work in 2 and 3 mean the house will either be run by babysitters in #2, or by the teenage sons in #3.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 3, 2019, at 7:12 PM, Chambo wrote:

Remember that professor who wanted to visit Columbia when staying on the UWS ... well he is now a newbie landlord because when they moved to a new house, they decided to rent the old one ... he is weighing 3 prospective tenants ... as he writes below ... curious to hear your perspective on how you approach such a decision ... what is / are the most important factor(s) to you ... you're the pro, so give it a go !

[your above post was cut and pasted here]

#4695 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:40 PM

In the early nineties, guided by an old-school Chinese cookbook by the likes of Irene Kuo, or Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee, I made chicken patties per a recipe that said to puree skinless breasts in a blender, then probably mix them with something starchy, then slide them into relatively-low-temperature deep fat till they fried up into juicy pillows of poultry.

I can't find the recipe. I still have The Key to Chinese Cooking (about which I've just found this wistful encomium) and have tried Google Book's limited search of Claiborne and Lee's Chinese Cookbook. Any further Google-fu leads me only to pancakes with chicken, not pancakes of chicken. It probably came from a library book. Unfortunately even NYC libraries replace old books with new ones over almost thirty years.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me find this. I need to know that I didn't invent it.