Photo

Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Please log in to reply
4764 replies to this topic

#4741 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,724 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:05 PM

Is there a way to keep my Cuisinart mini-prep from leaking? It's fine for chopping and making hummus and like that, but it doesn't hold liquid-y things well. I almost lost my 2-mushroom velouté! (The horror.)

Yes, purchase an Oskar. The best mini prep machine ever made. You can get them on ebay since the have been discontinued. I have three - two as back-ups.

If you mean  THIS   https://www.ebay.com...y4AAOSwiX1ePg6a

then I totally agree.    I have one in town, one in the country and 2 spares.    I almost NEVER use my full size Cuisinart, but reach for this almost daily.

eta, ah...I see there really is an OsKar.    I stand by my OsTer rec.

And then I found out that it IS my circus, and they ARE my monkeys..,

#4742 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:56 PM

Never used an Oster, but if I run out of the Oskars will try it.

#4743 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:04 AM

Is there a way to keep my Cuisinart mini-prep from leaking? It's fine for chopping and making hummus and like that, but it doesn't hold liquid-y things well. I almost lost my 2-mushroom velouté! (The horror.)

Yes, purchase an Oskar. The best mini prep machine ever made. You can get them on ebay since the have been discontinued. I have three - two as back-ups.

Thanks - buying a replacement for something that still works (mostly) is hard for me, but maybe I'll suck it up. I still have my "I live in a 300 sf studio" mentality. Along with a co-habitant who has (for example) three pairs of the same sneakers, perhaps on the off-chance that he'll grow more feet.

#4744 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:06 AM

isn't it the same as the usual cuisinart design where the blade fits on a relatively short tube in the middle of the bowl? if so, you can never fill in liquid higher than that. Not a blender.

Yes, the very same. I guess I have to blend everything in small batches. Which I guess I can deal with.

#4745 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,566 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:44 AM

My OG 1970s Cuisinart is broken, and I haven’t been able to find a replacement part. But I’m so intent on fixing it (if only for sentimental reasons) that I can’t bring myself to replace it (even with another OG product).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4746 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:39 PM

My OG 1970s Cuisinart is broken, and I haven’t been able to find a replacement part. But I’m so intent on fixing it (if only for sentimental reasons) that I can’t bring myself to replace it (even with another OG product).

https://www.kitchenw.../Cuisinart.aspx

eBay can also be a decent source

#4747 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,566 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:40 PM

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4748 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

I have some Les Trois Petits Cochons duck rillettes left over from three weeks ago, found in the back of the fridge. No cross-contamination the day I'd served it. Toss or enjoy?

All the online advice says keep for a week after opening. But shouldn't anything confit-y last longer? Or is that delicious dish still a petri dish?

I want to neither shop nor have a healthcare misadventure in the next few to several days.

#4749 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:44 PM

Probably won't make you too sick....

when in doubt, however...

#4750 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,396 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:03 PM

I have some Les Trois Petits Cochons duck rillettes left over from three weeks ago, found in the back of the fridge. No cross-contamination the day I'd served it. Toss or enjoy?

All the online advice says keep for a week after opening. But shouldn't anything confit-y last longer? Or is that delicious dish still a petri dish?

I want to neither shop nor have a healthcare misadventure in the next few to several days.

It probably isn't really confit, but I'm sure it's pasteurized, so you're starting out with only spores, which at fridge temp and around 1.7% salt in the meat part of the product are not going to be doing much at all. Probably won't kill you but could be a bit rancid from fat oxidation would be my answer. 

p.s. unfortunately they don't list the spices so I don't know if these include celery powder (aka nature's nitrate), in which case it's perfectly safe. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4751 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,724 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:49 PM

It probably isn't really confit, but I'm sure it's pasteurized, so you're starting out with only spores, which at fridge temp and around 1.7% salt in the meat part of the product are not going to be doing much at all. Probably won't kill you but could be a bit rancid from fat oxidation would be my answer. 

p.s. unfortunately they don't list the spices so I don't know if these include celery powder (aka nature's nitrate), in which case it's perfectly safe. 

Assuming it smells good, what about transferring to a small pan and heating through then recooling?   

And then I found out that it IS my circus, and they ARE my monkeys..,

#4752 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:34 AM

If I have a recipe (latkes) that calls for matzo meal as a binder, can I use crushed lavash instead?

#4753 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

I'd just use a little flour instead. 

#4754 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,396 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:21 PM

I bought these in Spain under the name "Assam Peppers" - they're somewhat smokey and beautifully aromatic. Seemingly related to long pepper, but much better. Any idea if they're available here and by what name?

T9QgFJO.jpg

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4755 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:04 AM

That's a good one, Ori.

I'm sure you checked, but is this the same pepper, only riper?

https://foodsofnatio...ed-chili-whole/