63 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:38 PM

A New York magazine article on the bird which is currently finding favor at restaurants like Per Se, ADNY and Hearth. It's all a bit mysterious. The bird is kind of, sort of a bit like poulet de Bresse, only it was "engineered" (eh?) this side of the Atlantic. It is said to "taste like chicken".

I think I have seen some positive comments about it on various threads, but it's worth remembering you can also get chicken which tastes like chicken (at a very modest price) by going to Chinese restaurants which serve chicken freshly slaughtered - there's even that rather curious kosher-Chinese place way up on the East Side discussed a long time ago on eGullet. Well, it's easier than getting into Per Se.

Anyone know what's up with this "engineering"?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:53 PM

I've had 'bresse-style' chicken from Four Storey Farms in Pennsylvania a couple of times and that's been pretty outstanding. I think it is milk-fed, whatever that trick is, but I don't know about the actual breed. Sounds like the bluefoot is this year's version of the same story... Those two were definitely revelatory chicken experiences though.
He has taken up residence in the 'Grand Hotel Abyss' - a beautiful hotel, equipped with every comfort, on the edge of an abyss, of nothingness, of absurdity. And the daily contemplation of the abyss between excellent meals or artistic entertainments, can only heighten the enjoyment of the subtle comforts offered.

Lukacs on Adorno, but....

#3 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:55 PM

I've had 'bresse-style' chicken from Four Storey Farms in Pennsylvania a couple of times and that's been pretty outstanding. I think it is milk-fed, whatever that trick is, but I don't know about the actual breed. Sounds like the bluefoot is this year's version of the same story... Those two were definitely revelatory chicken experiences though.

I've eaten Bresse Chicken twice. It's not like any chicken I've had here in the US.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:00 PM

Have you tried the Blue Foot, Nick?
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:03 PM

Have you tried the Blue Foot, Nick?

No. I'd like to compare it before memory fades too much.

I last ate Bresse chicken this past February in London.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#6 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:05 PM

I have to admit I've not had proper French Bresse so am not fully qualified for the Bresse-is-better debate (sorry for the cheapness of the pun, especially considering milk feeding is what's at stake), but the Four Storey chicken had the amazing near white leg and thigh meat you get from that diet, and was not at all similar to any other American chicken I've had. I'm yet to try and get hold of a Bresse chicken here in London, but they are available here, no? It seems an altogether different thing from even the very best normally reared free range ones.
He has taken up residence in the 'Grand Hotel Abyss' - a beautiful hotel, equipped with every comfort, on the edge of an abyss, of nothingness, of absurdity. And the daily contemplation of the abyss between excellent meals or artistic entertainments, can only heighten the enjoyment of the subtle comforts offered.

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:07 PM

That's the problem - it's a while since I can remember eating the original. If it was at Quo Vadis, when Marco still ran it as a serious restaurant, that's a long time ago. I have certainly eaten it more than once in France, but I am not a big chicken-orderer in restaurants, Bresse or not.

I am certainly ready to compare it with the Grand Szichuan fresh chicken, which was very chickeny.
Elect-a-lujah

#8 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:09 PM

I have to admit I've not had proper French Bresse so am not fully qualified for the Bresse-is-better debate (sorry for the cheapness of the pun, especially considering milk feeding is what's at stake), but the Four Storey chicken had the amazing near white leg and thigh meat you get from that diet, and was not at all similar to any other American chicken I've had. I'm yet to try and get hold of a Bresse chicken here in London, but they are available here, no? It seems an altogether different thing from even the very best normally reared free range ones.

They're available at that butcher shop in Marylebone that has an outpost at Borough. Pretty dear, though.

Kiku and I cooked a couple at Chez V this past winter.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#9 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:24 PM

I think it is milk-fed

So Wilfrid was right, chickens are mammals.

(Where's the 'this is a pre-historic reference that no one should try to understand if they don't already' emoticon?)
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:25 PM

That's alright, I am rolling on the floor helpless with laughter.

("Alright" can be one word.)
Elect-a-lujah

#11 Mark Slater

Mark Slater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:34 PM

I think it is milk-fed

(Where's the 'this is a pre-historic reference that no one should try to understand if they don't already' emoticon?)

You can lead a chicken to milk, but can you make him drink? :wub:
What would MacGyver do?
------------------------------

#12 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:44 PM

I think it is milk-fed

You can lead a chicken to milk, but can you make him drink? :lol:

With the many generations of French-poulterer training, apparently so. I did read an article about it somewhere, its supposed to be a pretty delicate art, as the birdies themselves are lactose intolerant!!! Another 'where did they get that idea from' French food production method.... Just don't tell any California legislators..... :wub:

#13 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

thanks for the info - i ordered the chicken from dartagnan.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#14 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:47 PM

If the birds don't like the milk, perhaps we should start a campaign to get it banned. :wub:
Elect-a-lujah

#15 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,205 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:57 PM

That's the problem - it's a while since I can remember eating the original. If it was at Quo Vadis, when Marco still ran it as a serious restaurant, that's a long time ago. I have certainly eaten it more than once in France, but I am not a big chicken-orderer in restaurants, Bresse or not.

I am certainly ready to compare it with the Grand Szichuan fresh chicken, which was very chickeny.

I don't like chicken so I can't make comparative comments, but there's a nasty looking place on Delancy, a block east of where the bridge starts climbing that has quite a few chicken varieties they'll gladly kill for you.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns