Japanese restaurants (SEA)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_barleywino1_*

Guest_barleywino1_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:49 PM

At Tsukushinbo (I district Main and 5th), the cold tofu salad w/ garlic chips and spicy mayo and crispy noodles

#2 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:16 PM

At Takohachi in the ID... Their Bacon Fried Rice is a must have. Several of the PNWers love this rice dish as well as the mackerel in the photo. (thank you MsRamsey for this tip).

This is a photo of a lunch I had there awhile back with my husband. The bacon fried rice is upper left.
Posted Image

Takohachi
610 S Jackson St
Seattle, WA 98104-2911
(206) 682-1828

#3 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:59 PM

Oh my, I've got to get back to Takohachi soon. That saba shioyaki is so good. Maybe the best I've had in Seattle. I'd like to try the curry rice sometime and the other menu items, but that saba always sucks me in.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#4 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:29 PM

Oh my, I've got to get back to Takohachi soon. That saba shioyaki is so good. Maybe the best I've had in Seattle. I'd like to try the curry rice sometime and the other menu items, but that saba always sucks me in.

I've never been!! ;) ;) :( soooo sad!!! (hint, hint!)
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#5 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

Wendy, just say when and I am so there. Those croquettes look good! I just realized that I have no favorite Japanese restaurant in Seattle, and as far as dishes go, the Om Rice at Fort St. George is pretty close to the top of my list as is the Nabeyaki Udon at Kozue. Hmmm, must ponder much more.

Rocky

#6 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:56 PM

OOOOHHH YEAHHHHH ---- (Grunt and Hip Thrust...)
That bacon fried rice rocks...However, at the risk of going down in flames, methinks it clashes overmuch w/ the saba???
www.bloatitup.com

#7 Guest_barleywino1_*

Guest_barleywino1_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:22 PM

I also like that bacon fried rice, for a true grease fix ;)....and their hamburg has a nice crispy outside and soft oniony inside, like meat loaf (or lions head meatball)

#8 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:01 PM

Who makes the best tempura? Shrimp Tempura in particular... That is one of my faves...

When I was in Uwajimaya yesterday (btw, I ran into Seagal and Heyjude, what a wonderful surprise!), I bought a large box of frozen premade shrimp tempura (Tiger Thai brand) for snacks at home. I know it's easy to make, but sometimes it's nice to just grab out of the freezer. Plus it was on sale for a few $$ off. ;)

#9 Guest_barleywino1_*

Guest_barleywino1_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:56 AM

Had a nice unagi w/ fish noodle (w/ unagi sauce, tougarashi and scallion; no soup) at Nishino. Not on the menu but as long as they are serving fish noodle (as part of the 25 for 25 this month) you can probably request it.

#10 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:00 PM

oh my god BACON fried rice??? I must have some!

the tempura up at mori (85th just west of greenwood) is pretty good but I can't speak to the shrimp part. And my friends vouch for the sushi...

Back in CA my favorite japanese restaurant would make me plates of just tempura-ed carrots :lol:, but since Bill doesn't care for Japanese I don't eat anywhere enough to establish that kind of relationship :)
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#11 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:34 PM

Overall the menu is hit-and-miss, but I REALLY like the panko-coated deep fried oysters at Haruko's on Mercer Island.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#12 laurel

laurel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:41 PM

My current favorite, because I just had it last night: seared mackerel sashimi at Maekawa bar. Slightly warm, completely melting texture... just right sour/fishy flavor...

#13 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:18 PM

Today's review of Sakura Bistro is appealing. Anyone tried it?
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#14 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:36 PM

Yeah, I have and I think SeaGal and SeaGuy have as well. I posted a short blurb in the Farewell and Welcome thread a while ago. Here's the post.

Rocky

Edited to add link.

#15 KRamsey

KRamsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

Saba shioyaki and fried rice at Takohachi is among my top meals ever.

Amaebi at Shiki (then being presented with the fried heads, which are delicious too).

How about that foie gras/tuna nigiri at Nishino?