22 replies to this topic

#16 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

There's a recipe in the November 2007 Gourmet for Fried Cardoons: trim, peel, cut into 2-inch lengths, soak overnight in salted water; simmer in salted water until tender; coat with flour, dip in an egg-Parmesan mixture, deep fry. What's to be bad? laugh.gif

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#17 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:16 PM

I made some cardoons xmas eve.... I was accosted by this random person in wegmans.. He knew me, i didn't know him.. And well,  don't ask some random gushing stranger how they are.. Mom died, first xmas without her.. there were tears, i was hugging him, hugging a crying stranger..  anyway, yeh, i grabbed cardoons.. next thing I know, i am running out of the store like it's on fire... I looked up a simple recipe.. cleaning cardoons are the most important thing as they have a spikey trim on both sides of the stalk.., i cut those bad boys out, did a slight scrape to get rid of some of the outside and then, well, i cooked in salted water with a some lemon for a bit.. made a simple bechamel, added nutmeg and pepper.. then topped with cheese and bread crumbs and cheese.. 

Baked for like 40 minutes at a high temp... i assumed everyone at the party would ignore them but, everyone ate them, enjoyed them and I didn't even have a chance to tell them they were cardoons.. a few people asked what it was but, they were not phased nor cared to ask what exactly a cardoon was.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#18 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,969 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:23 PM

I tried to explain to several fellow guests that the gratin wasn't of celery but cardoons, a different thing.  None of them believed me.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,969 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:34 PM

You can see why I'm not very popular at parties.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:02 PM

We had cardoons at Viaggio over a year ago. It was very good. Chef Robbie braised it for several days in garlic, chili, and other ingredients. He then fried it with alfalfa crest and roasted garlic in a Calabrian chili vinaigrette.

esVrsZhh.png

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#21 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:08 PM

You can see why I'm not very popular at parties.

Because you like cardoons?

Just say it's a fucking thistle - that'll shut 'em up.

And talk about boring - the first time I ever had and loved cardoons was at Chez Panisse, back, oh, a lot of decades ago.

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:14 AM

We had cardoons at Viaggio over a year ago. It was very good. Chef Robbie braised it for several days in garlic, chili, and other ingredients. He then fried it with alfalfa crest and roasted garlic in a Calabrian chili vinaigrette.
esVrsZhh.png

Several days????
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#23 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:36 AM

We had cardoons at Viaggio over a year ago. It was very good. Chef Robbie braised it for several days in garlic, chili, and other ingredients. He then fried it with alfalfa crest and roasted garlic in a Calabrian chili vinaigrette.esVrsZhh.png

Several days????

That’s what they told me. Maybe they meant it was brined for several days.

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer