47 replies to this topic

#16 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:27 PM

Dried sausages at Di Palo's. Specifically, their cacciatore (or something like that)... a small, garlic and pepper number.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#17 banh cuon

banh cuon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:19 AM

Currently in love with the dried blueberry and pork sausage from Whole Foods. Just the perfect sweet-savory-porky combo for me.

Spied a gift pack of two salamis from Salumi (Batali father's place in Seattle) at Sur La Table in Soho recently. Was intrigued but didn't buy.

#18 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:31 AM

Dines Farms has a nice breakfast sausage. So does Citarella, come to think of it.

One of my running buddies, who was a vegetarian for over 20 years and only recently quit, is in love with Flying Pigs' jerk sausages. I have yet to try them. I think she buys them all before I can get to the market.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#19 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:17 PM

Anyone know where I can find a fresh pork and garlic sausage in Manhattan, basically a Toulouse sausage, for use in cassoulet?
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#20 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

In 2003 Agriculture Department inspectors shut down Mr. Buzzio's business, Salumeria Biellese in Manhattan, because he was not using an approved kill step. Rather than change the production method, Mr. Buzzio and his partners spent more than $100,000 on laboratory testing and legal fees, finally satisfying officials' safety concerns — mainly by showing that pathogens were killed by the curing process.

On Monday inspectors destroyed all the cured meats at Il Buco restaurant in NoHo. They did so, according to the owner, Donna Lennard, not because of any evidence of contamination but because the temperature in the curing room was six degrees higher than it should have been.

"These are pigs that were raised for us," Ms. Lennard said. "We knew their names. We were trying to do something sustainable and traditional, and this is what happens."

Posted Image

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#21 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

Good article. Thanks.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#22 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,471 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:58 PM

I'm definitely planning on serving some Salumeria Belliese salame with some prosecco at my next dinner party. Hmphhh!

#23 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

I mentioned the article to the gentleman who mans the meat counter at Despana today, and he relayed a story about a previous job at which a USDA inspector fully inserted a probe thermometer into a bone-in ham he was slicing. :lol:

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#24 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

Sad but true... Sausage inspection is serious business!

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#25 Tastee

Tastee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

Yea really. Who knew?

#26 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,838 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:42 PM

in colorado you must check out sausages from the long family farm. available at the boulder farmers' market on saturdays and doubtless at other markets on other days. the apple sausage in particular is otherworldly--you have to get there early to get some. had some for dinner last night, alongside some sliced king oyster mushrooms sauteed with green garlic.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#27 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

Has anyone tried the Petit Jesu from Salumeria Biellese? Apparently they sell it only by the whole sausage. I am tempted.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#28 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:35 PM

Has anyone tried the Petit Jesu from Salumeria Biellese? Apparently they sell it only by the whole sausage. I am tempted.

Haven't tried it, but based on the quality of their other meats and their description of the Petit Jesu--This dry coarse grand salami is bursting with rustic flavor. Fits nicely in any antipasto platter or with a chunk of crusty bread, and a glass of wine--I can't imagine you'll regret it.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#29 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

Let me find out how big it is.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#30 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

Does anyone other than me find "Baby Jesus" to be an odd name for a sausage?

Fly
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer