390 replies to this topic

#376 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:24 PM

Then specify a preferred price range and we'll adjust accordingly ...

eta - followed up with my Madrid wine guy re Alabaster and I was immediately informed that Fran left but I didn't pursue additional details for the moment

#377 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,101 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:06 AM

Many people left
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#378 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:18 AM

Then specify a preferred price range and we'll adjust accordingly ...

eta - followed up with my Madrid wine guy re Alabaster and I was immediately informed that Fran left but I didn't pursue additional details for the moment

I think about 100 euros pp would be a sufficient celebration in the grand scheme of things.

#379 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:22 AM

Ok. You’re in the right country (and city) to have a very nice meal at this price point no matter how you answer the following question ...

Just so I’m in sync, that 100 euros is including wine or not ?

And where in the city are you staying ?

I always ask this because there are multiple places that can work well for you ... so why not a place that might be a short romantic 5-10 minute walk from you, instead of 30 (or more) minutes of travel. In my opinion, that type of travel is only merited for the very high end

#380 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

Restaurante Membibre ... I'll whet your appetite with this, Lippy ... restaurant-wise, the main dining room here (as opposed to the front bar area which is excellent but not the right answer for the dinner splurge that I believe that you are looking for) should be right in your exact sweet spot for ambiance, mainly traditional cuisine, respectful service with civilized Spaniards surrounding you ... can give many more details and photos in the future to flush it out ... but not right now

#381 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,101 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:27 PM

Is Daniel Teruel still there? He was having some great fun with the wine list. Some nice fusion dishes on the tasting menu as I recall, apart from the classics.

#382 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:13 PM

No, Daniel is not still there

I didn't know the name Daniel Teruel at all ... sure, I could have attempted to google his name and made believe that I know something but that's just not my style

But I do have my Madrid wine guy always available so I asked him and he knows Daniel very well. Per mMwg, Daniel is now at Roostiq and the Roostiq owner (who mMwg also knows very well ... in fact they did a major Burgundy trip together not too long ago with some HEAVY hitters ... and I was included in the pic loop on that ... yow !) is giving Daniel some free reign to play around a bit, travel, taste and expand the wine list. On Insta, you'll notice some crazy bottle skylines at Roostiq and those I've been seeing for a while and wondering WTF is going on at that "pizza" place and now I know

Re Membibre fusion dishes, I'm not aware of that at all ... my experience is the place is traditional leaning thru and thru ... and when I asked mMwg re this fusion thang, he came back and said "Absolutely traditional" so I'm not sure what you've experienced re the tasting menu. I have pics of their printed menus from at least 3 visits and everything is trad trad trad and pretty yummy trad at that ... good game stuff too when it's the season !

For Chambo, the standard wine list at Membibre is not very interesting ... but that Chambo guy is a bit of wine geek so I would pretty much ignore him if you don't have great grape expectations ...

#383 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:25 PM

Chambolle, we would probably be happy with a glass of wine each, maybe two for Ranitidine. I'm thinking 100 euros each including wine. We like wine but are not wine geeks by any stretch. I I'm not averse to "modernity," in small doses, but I think it probably comes in higher than my price point. That's just a guess. Membibre sounds nice and I strongly suspect that we would find the standard wine list interesting.

#384 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:20 PM

You will be fully within budget (probably with some room to spare) with drinking as described ... and wine in Spain is sooo reasonably priced, you can easily splurge for a full bottle without doing any real damage at all ... to the budget, that is 

Re modernity, it's not that modernity means high prices ... not at all ... it's just that I was originally proposing the absolute best that Madrid has to offer ... Chambo adjusts to the facts on the ground and you've provided them ...

So if you wanted a bit of a dip into modernity after seeing some of the most royal of golden era architecture that Spain can show ... with LOTS of royals sleeping forever in very royal conditions ... then I'll send you on a great day trip (but you still have Toledo on your to do list, I presume ?)

This day trip being ... bus it to El Escorial¸ visit the monastery, then the gardens, then a mini-splurge by lunching it at Montia and bus back to Madrid, very sated in many departments

Montia is indeed modern ...the short menu for 55 will make you MORE than happy ... their playful natural wines are probably starting to take you past your default comfort zone but you don't want to be drinking that much anyway ... so try a glass or two and tell them to aim slightly more towards mainstream than extreme (not that this stuff is really extreme but a full marriage would probably feel that way to you

It's a great day ... probably not as great as Toledo would be for you, Lippy, but it's a great day nonetheless 

#385 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,101 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:04 PM

No, Daniel is not still there

I didn't know the name Daniel Teruel at all ... sure, I could have attempted to google his name and made believe that I know something but that's just not my style

But I do have my Madrid wine guy always available so I asked him and he knows Daniel very well. Per mMwg, Daniel is now at Roostiq and the Roostiq owner (who mMwg also knows very well ... in fact they did a major Burgundy trip together not too long ago with some HEAVY hitters ... and I was included in the pic loop on that ... yow !) is giving Daniel some free reign to play around a bit, travel, taste and expand the wine list. On Insta, you'll notice some crazy bottle skylines at Roostiq and those I've been seeing for a while and wondering WTF is going on at that "pizza" place and now I know

Re Membibre fusion dishes, I'm not aware of that at all ... my experience is the place is traditional leaning thru and thru ... and when I asked mMwg re this fusion thang, he came back and said "Absolutely traditional" so I'm not sure what you've experienced re the tasting menu. I have pics of their printed menus from at least 3 visits and everything is trad trad trad and pretty yummy trad at that ... good game stuff too when it's the season !

For Chambo, the standard wine list at Membibre is not very interesting ... but that Chambo guy is a bit of wine geek so I would pretty much ignore him if you don't have great grape expectations ...

So when we were there (early 2018), Daniel recognized us from Nakeima and hooked us up with plenty of very interesting wine (which, thinking about it, was also from a separate list than the main one), and the kitchen (then I think relatively newly helmed by membibre junior) offered chili crab, some dumplings, and other fusiony things but also included at our request items from the carte. I can totally believe that ship has sailed...

#386 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:12 AM

Daniel recognized us from Nakeima and hooked us up with plenty of very interesting wine (which, thinking about it, was also from a separate list than the main one)

Among other things, I was also specifically told ... "but he had a few special bottles that he used for pairings and special tables" 

#387 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

Thanks, Chambolle! I will consider everything.

#388 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:14 PM

I think Lippy might love Horcher because of the history.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#389 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,101 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:27 PM

I check the table for microphones every time.

#390 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:05 PM

Re a potential histoire d’amour 💕 entre Horcher et Lippy, je suis d’accord and that’s why it was originally included and placed to place but Chambo actually thought that it would win the race ... however ... Horcher and 100 euros pp could be a stormy relationship in the making when all is said and done, especially if the meal is intended to be a bit of splurge

One must carefully think all things through ... and trust me, I do ... for Lippy is a passionate woman who could very easily be seduced by Spain 🇪🇸 ... she could go weak in the knees in a heartbeat before the count of two if confronted by cava or battling those bubbles before her. Inhibitions now slightly loosened, and then ordering as fully desired without finances front and center could lead down the road to ... to ... to too much pleasure ... and once Lippy gets in such a mood, she may surprise herself by wanting more food ... and next thing you know, she’s seeing savory little somethings and whispering as so “Cheese please, cheese please, cheese please” and this is where things get good and gooey and then the euro situation is soon to be seriously sticky ... because the human condition is such that a well-mannered woman should have a little something sweet after her savories and that directly leads to more loss of savings ... and then it’s quite possible that those evil bubbles could reappear and rear their ugly head ... but maybe not ... because the more I think about it, the Lippys might be those to soak up the culture of the country and therefore the necessity of a nightcap ... for this is a splurge, is it not ! ... and as the Olorosos are opened and Lippy lets loose an orgy of Olés and as the evening starts transitioning from sedate to quite gay, I fear that Horcher might not be the financially prudent way

I know what you’re thinking right now, Lippy ... “there goes Chambo again, pie in the sky, off in his crazy world completely divorced from any grounded sense of reality. He almost fooled me earlier in the thread of having a tiny tiny sense of my likes and dislikes, but I should have known better ... I wouldn’t eat a meal like that in a 100 years ... I just don’t have an appetite for all that”

I understand that reaction, Lippy, and it’s to be expected ... it’s the perfectly normal default reaction if you don’t know where Chambo’s coming from or headed ...

HOWEVER ...

what you may not fully appreciate is that I have been to Madrid many a time ... and I have pounded the pavement of the Prado more often than many can count ... and I have seen the glory with mine own eyes ... and I have felt the feelings, fought the yearnings, dueled with those dastardly desires that lurk deep down in the hearts and souls of all men ... AND women ... and I have lost time and time again. As will you, and as will your other half, I predict ...

For when you are before those tremendous, titillating Titians and when you see and sense and savor that soft, luxurious, naked female flesh of open and publicly available women of the bewitching kind, your appetite for various things kind of grows, your mind and thoughts surprise and human desire knows no bounds nor ends ... even as life and society might try to defang or devour it

You have been warned, Lippy !

The Prado is a very dangerous place ... ignore Chambo at your peril ...