5379 replies to this topic

#31 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:10 PM

Just finished Adam Gopnik's "From Paris to the Moon" after having set it aside for several months. At first, I was very disappointed in the book, but then after revisiting it, I realized that I had gone in with the wrong set of expectations. He turns a phrase about as well as any writer around today. Several times I took note of some sentence constructions that were particularly stylish and pointedly metaphorical. Its a very tender and warm story, and in many ways a love letter to his family. While it certainly lives up to the billing as an examination of the differences bewteen an American city (New York) and a French one (Paris), it does so in the context of a man deeply in love with his wife and child. This absence of the cold critical perspective keeps Gopnik from seeming judgmental or perpetuating stereotypes. I was sorry when it was over.

Several of the pieces in Paris to the Moon appeared earlier as Gopnik's monthly Letters from Paris to The New Yorker. His use of adjectives to describe the weather, the neighborhood, etc impressed me.

In a way, I think I enjoyed them more as a serial, rather than assembled in a package, nicely gathered.

Related question: Are Janet Flanner's 1930s letters to The New Yorker from Paris in print anywhere?
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#32 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:23 PM

If you put Janet Flanner into the search engine at abebooks.com, you'll instantly find a number of inexpensive second-hand editions.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#33 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, but it ain't Liebling, is it?

No, but thats kind of what I meant by:

At first, I was very disappointed in the book, but then after revisiting it, I realized that I had gone in with the wrong set of expectations

#34 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:15 PM

Posted Image

Fat man.

Posted Image

Thin man.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#35 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:27 PM

I doubt one would've caught Liebling jogging around Luxembourg Gardens.

#36 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:29 PM

Or Gopnik eating a gross of oysters.
Elect-a-lujah

#37 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:39 PM

I again reinvented book-reading during my brief holiday in Madeira :)

My thoughtful daughters bought me The Millionaires by Brad Meltzer. Never heard of it or him. The blurb "this is about as Grisham as you can get without having his name on the cover" reeks of a significant lack of self-confidence by the publishers, but was exactly accurate. Good, escapist read.

They also bought me "Truth Game" by Douglas Hurd. Yes, the very same ex-Foreign Secretary and Pompous Ass. The book is set in the 1980s, but it's written just like a 1930s novelette. Names like Francis Trennion (FO civil servant) and Johnny Revani (an Arab cad) abound. The characters behave and speak just like Dougie himself, complete with plum in mouth. Awful. I cannot believe he has had 12 books published, unless he pays for them himself.

Finally, I found the gem hidden in the hotel library. "Headlong" by Michael Frayn was superb. It's written in Frayn's easy humour, but it turns into an art thriller. Much of the book reads like a scholarly dissertation on the life and times of Pieter Bruegel, but written in an entirely intelligible and fascinating manner. I have become obsessed with Bruegel now, and I intend to start doing some research of my own. For someone like me, who is entirely lacking any knowledge of understanding of art, that ranks as astonishing, but this book has simply inspired me.

And it's a helluva good story (apart from the inevitable denouement) written elegantly and entertainingly.

"Headlong" was nominated for the 1999 Booker Prize, and that fact has awakened my respect for that institution, which I have hitherto (obviously wrongly)assumed ranked alongside the Turner..

#38 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:04 PM

Michael Frayn's daughter was one of the most beautiful women I ever met.
Elect-a-lujah

#39 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:33 PM

The Piano Tuner, by Daniel Mason. A remarkable first novel.

#40 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:07 PM

Halfway through The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. Pretty good I think.
"I mispoke."

#41 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 02:57 PM

John Fante, Wait Until Spring, Bandini.
Elect-a-lujah

#42 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:45 PM

Michael Frayn's daughter was one of the most beautiful women I ever met.

I may've mentioned before. I know where Frayn's daughters got their beauty. I was at university with Frayn's first wife (I was in my 20's, Gill was in her 40's, I'd guess). She was very beautiful.

In the early 80s, I visited their home in Blackheath, a modern affair. It looked pretty normal inside, but Gill told us that they'd experimented having no internal doors whatsoever. That lasted a few weeks during which time family members were at each other's throats. So they got an architect to put back the doors. I think the Frayns split up soon afterwards.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#43 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,107 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:49 PM

Like a lot of other people, I suppose, I'm reading Richard Clarke's Against All Enemies. The ad hominem attacks really miss the mark. The guy actually has something to say. You may not agree with him, but one point he makes is that if you want to defeat terrorism, you go after terrorists. I find it hard to disagree. Sadly, he also documents incredible infighting among the FBI, CIA, DOD, etc. All to our detriment. And so it goes.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#44 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:53 PM

I found his appearance on Meet The Press rather persuasive; someone obviously very intelligent, well-prepared and on top of his subject rather stands out from the usual parade of political and journalistic hacks.

But I'm reading the poetry of Walter Savage Landor. Some of the brief epigrams are rather good; the longer stuff lies dead on the page.
Elect-a-lujah

#45 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:59 PM

Philip Larkin, The Less Deceived. Conrad, "Falk". Shanar: dedication ritual of a Buryat shaman in Siberia by Virlana Tkacz with photographs by Alexander Khantaev.

Also, just picked up a used copy of Terrible Honesty, Ann Douglas's cultural history of Manhattan in the 1920s for seven bucks.
Elect-a-lujah