121 replies to this topic

#31 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:14 AM

Oh my, how terrible. Condolences to everyone concerned.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#32 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,471 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:47 AM

Shocking news.

#33 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:48 AM

You know one of the great things about Bruce? He was oblivious to everyone who tried to insult him and belittle him for his blue-collar, rough-hewn ways. He did just chug along, which ultimately makes him the one with the better manners.

The idea of trying to insult that guy is just, I'm sure, another reason he's laughing wherever he is, if there is a wherever. Wherever that is, they only uses Macs.

I Googled his name. He was on a forum for pentaque. Holding his own.

#34 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:56 AM

This is indescribably sad to me. I never met Bruce in person, but he did send me some of his wine, just out of the goodness of his heart. He'd been bantering about joining us for our PNW 4th of July party, and when I encouraged him to really do it, he sent us some of his wine in his stead. Many of the PNW members had a chance to taste his wine, and thus his generosity. Perhaps he's still in us, a little.

#35 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:38 AM

Very sad news, agreed. This evening's glass is raised in his honour.

We all know people who can be as gratuitously insulting about soup as they can about the Senate. - g.johnson

#36 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:53 AM

Ahhhhhhhh.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#37 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:28 PM

So sad...
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#38 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:31 PM

so sorry to lose one of us

#39 Kim

Kim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:07 PM

Its hard to reconscile his on line vibrancy and his real life ill health. It seems that he was a happy and contented person, and I hope that knowing that brings his family and close friends peace.

#40 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:19 PM

This saddens me. I only knew Bruce through his posts but I liked him very much. My condolences to his friends and family.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#41 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

He will definitely be missed.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#42 Kim

Kim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:49 PM

and the stats say he joined a year ago today. :wub:

#43 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:51 PM

You know one of the great things about Bruce? He was oblivious to everyone who tried to insult him and belittle him for his blue-collar, rough-hewn ways.

Oh yeah. He took so much shit as an admin, and whenever I apologized for tapping him, he told me it was no big deal. :wub:
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#44 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

He was an old friend I never met.

Perfectly put.

This is very sad news.
Using salt and pepper is a good, inexpensive way to put flavor in your food. Sandra Lee

#45 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

Shockingly sudden. Very sad indeed.

Edit to add:

winesonoma Members 17-January 05 Posts 963
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.